Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has about 83,000 miles on it, and I am wondering when I can expect the clutch to go bad? The last owner did not drive it too hard (educated guess), and while I do not abuse the car or race it, I occasionally like to 'get it on' and open things up. However, my clutch is annoying the hell out of me, sometimes, it is fairly grabby, other times, it slips a bit and my shift is not clean (as in, I am anal and driving myself mad trying to get perfect, rev-matched shifts) - however, when I launch the car, it seems like the clutch is slipping, even at 2-3,000 RPM's, it does not GRAB like I think it should. Do you think it is getting a bit old? Do you think I should get a Spec Stage 2 clutch and enjoy?

This is the only car with a stick I have ever driven (but see next paragraph), so I have nothing to compare it to, and thats why I need your help.

I breifly drove my friends AE86 (with 150,000 miles!), and just in the few miles I drove it, my shifts were much smoother and the car felt more powerful because I was able to control the power easily and smoothly (obviously, in a drag, my car would kick its ass - but he got a Formula Atlantic engine now... :D )

·
Registered
97 Posts
115k is when the clutch on my teg went out. I dont know if this helps you much. It really depends the way the car is driven and how much abuse the clutch has gone through. It would be better to change before it really starts slipping or just completely goes out like mine did.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the 4cyl and my clutch has 113K on it right now... The first 80K had a lot of stop and go driving, which can be a big factor in clutch wear. If you floor the car in 5th on the highway, what do the RPMs do? If the clutch is slipping, the RPMs will shoot up w/o any proportionate increase in speed...

HTH -

DJ

·
Registered
156 Posts
For whatever it's worth, the factory clutch on my '92 Corolla went for over 125,000 miles, the most that my mechanic had ever seen.

I can't say how that relates to your Camry though.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Clutches are driver orientated. Its different for everyone.
Get it checked out as there is a high chance of expensive problems when metal starts grinding.

80 K without clutch plate change is good, don't stretch it too far.

edit: It just bugs me to see drivers balance their car on a slope using their clutch...or riding the clutch panel when driving.

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
I say it all depends on the driver. My father's clutch in his 93 Maxima lasted until 147k. I believe it would've lasted longer but my sister started driving the car a lot. I think 147k is above average for a clutch that 5 different people drove on and 3 of the 5 learned on.. My sister has replaced the clutch in her Acura Legend about 3 times in the past 3 years and she only has about 94k miles on the car..

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just replaced my 3S-FE/tranny at around 350k. The clutch still worked fine, and was the original one.

It's all in how it's driven, and a little luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow, 350K is amazing.

Funny story: I just found out today that the Corolla I gave away 6 weeks ago when I got my new Camry just had the clutch replaced again yesterday. I had it replaced at 125K and it was at 157K when I gave it away, so that clutch went 35K at most.

It turns out the person I gave it to turned around and gave it to someone else who never drove stick before. :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is nice to drive with a stick. My old camry did 185.000 km before I bróke it by driving to much in the city:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assume my V6 clutch is beefier than the I4 clutch?

·
Registered
633 Posts
kenratboy said:
I assume my V6 clutch is beefier than the I4 clutch?
Your clutch is adapted to the strength of your engine so yes it is stronger than an i4 one.
I have to change my clutch every 100,000 miles. It all depends on the driver. One good tip if you want to keep your clutch for long : never drive with your left foot lying on the clutch pedal : this reduces the clutch life by +/- 50%

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
If you live where I live in Manhattan where there is a redlight every 700 ft and gridlock traffic almost 24 hrs a day, your clutch wont last too long :lol:

I dont know why all my companies fleet cars are all manuals. We have 2 Camry's. now 1 Corolla and a RAV4 all manual..

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Over 157k on my Camry's original clutch and no slippage so far...

Steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
my close friend had a 91 civic with 347 km on the original clutch before it got changed, when it got changed tho it was completely dead. 0-60 took like 5 minutes

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, well a 91 Civic has like 5 pounds of torque :p:

My dad had a early 80's Accord (when they were still Japanese built gems), and I think even with 250k miles, he was still on the origional clutch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts