Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Camry and I am concerned about the small size of the oil filter. Does anyone change the filter at 5,000 miles then change the oil and filter at the recommended 10,000 mile interval?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I change my oil and filter every 6 months which is around the 5/6 thousand mile range. If you read the owners manual about severe service id venture to guess that the majority of people fall at least close to this category in some aspect.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have always DIY replaced the filter whenever the oil is changed. I was taught by my father who was a chemist and mechanic to change oil/filter every 3,000 miles or 3 months. Other than cost it is not harmful. Occasionally it gets stretched to 5,000 but due to using a full synthetic it does not stress me out. One of the added benefits of DIY is that I can visually inspect the engine and undercarriage and spot trouble early on. I am often amazed that at 3 months and only 1,500 miles of city driving the oil is pitch black.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know of any evidence that modern car's oil filters are too small for the job.

To the contrary, I believe they are sized for the worst-case scenarios of drivers who are bordering on severe-conditions driving but who only change oil and filter with the prescribed synthetic oil every 10k miles.

Are your driving conditions severe? If so, you should reduce your oil service interval proportional to how severe that you believe your conditions are.
Very cold weather is certainly one big aspect of whether your oil and filter are approaching a situation of not providing adequate lubrication at all times, plus short trips, hard city driving, very hilly terrain, etc.

You be the judge. Use good oil, changed at an appropriate interval and the factory filter will be fine imo.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I change the oil filter when I change the oil, 8k-10k miles. Oil filter size has nothing to do with its effectiveness and longevity. Use a filter designed for 10k mile oil change like the OEM oil filters.

·
6,204 Posts
You have a Toyota?
Follow Toyota recommended schedule.
Done, end of sentence. Otherwise, you will see nothing but opinions, from "change every week' to "change never". Just like any oil thread. Or, filter thread. None of posters designed Toyota, ran many computer simulations of how systems will work, determined proper "size" of this or that. Those are just opinions.
The ONLY time when you change filter before oil change, that I know of "black on white" is Amsoil oil. Ones that are recommended for 15 - 25 000 mile oil changes, clearly state to change oil filter at shorter intervals to maintain high mileage oil lubricity. That is the only documented case I know of.
The rest is opinions. You sleep better changing filter ahead of oil change? No big effort and money, do it - and sleep better. It's that simple.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Vehicles run MUCH cleaner vs 20 years ago.
Also, the oil is MUCH better vs 20 years ago.
Your driving conditions will determine if your vehicle use is severe service or normal service.
With highway mileage....where you are driving for 20-30 minutes or more at a reasonably constant speed (not stop & go), your oil will be fine for the longer OCI called for (10K miles).
Your oil has lots of time to get up to temperature and moisture has a chance to evaporate out.
If you do a lot of short trip driving, then a shorter OCI would be called for as per the severe service interval.
Short trip driving in cold winter weather is harder on the oil than in HOT weather.
The engine does not feel 80 to 90 degree weather like we do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have always DIY replaced the filter whenever the oil is changed. I was taught by my father who was a chemist and mechanic to change oil/filter every 3,000 miles or 3 months. Other than cost it is not harmful. Occasionally it gets stretched to 5,000 but due to using a full synthetic it does not stress me out. One of the added benefits of DIY is that I can visually inspect the engine and undercarriage and spot trouble early on. I am often amazed that at 3 months and only 1,500 miles of city driving the oil is pitch black.
I am wondering why your late-model Camry's oil is pitch black after only a few thousand miles(?).
On my 2015 Camry LE, the Synthetic Toyota oil looks almost like new after 7500 miles right now, and I am preparing to change it before another month of colder weather sets in.
As a point of reference, I do most of my driving on the highway, trips between 15 and 100 miles in most cases.

Anybody else here have clean-looking oil after 7500 miles?
If my oil looked black I would change it last month!

I should mention that I bought my car used, after the previous owner passed away. I used their service records to determine that the oil was changed 7500 miles ago, and it wouldn't have been due for 5k service when I bought it, but it is possible that the oil has half as many miles on it as I think it does.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i change my oil and filter every 5k miles. i would be fine if i change my oil every 5k and filter every 10k. not the other way around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had a couple of cars where the owner's manual prescribed changing the oil filter every 15k, and the oil changed every 7.5k. And this with conventional oil.
I had no problems.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Vehicles run MUCH cleaner vs 20 years ago.
Also, the oil is MUCH better vs 20 years ago.
Actually, 30 years ago the 1989 Corolla owners manual specified oil changes ever 12 months or 10,000 miles for normal driving conditions using conventional oil. And the Corolla back then had a carburetor.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also have a 2017 that I bought used and the dealer has a lifetime power-train warranty as long as I have them or an ASE certified shop service it at factory recommended intervals, otherwise I would change the oil myself. Our local Toyota dealer has coupons for a $55 synthetic oil/filer change, check brakes and all fluid levels, rotate the tires, and a car wash. Since the maintenance required notice pops up every 5K I just go ahead and let them do it all. I realize that a full oil change isn't required every 5K but since the tires also get rotated it's easy to have it all done at once and (in my opinion) more frequent oil & filter changes can't hurt anything. YMMV

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I do the oil and filter, then 7500 miles later change the oil (no filter). That way when the 5 quart oil jug is empty it's time for a new filter. On the Echo I need one extra quart of oil for the two changes. On the Mirage the 5 quart jug is enough. That is using Mobil 1 and I fill to halfway on the dipstick range. By the time I have to add any oil, I just change it. I just checked the Mirage which will replace the Echo from October to March and it was about 1/4 on the dipstick, so it's time for fresh oil and filter before it goes back on the road next month.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"I also have a 2017 that I bought used and the dealer has a lifetime power-train warranty as long as I have them or an ASE certified shop service it at factory recommended intervals..."

Wow, with a lifetime power-train warranty I wonder what they prescribe as the minimum service for the automatic transmission?
I wonder how they discern "normal wear" from a covered defect, or from "abuse"(?). I always take warranties with a grain of salt you could say.

Frequent oil changes helps keep all of the engine's rubber and plastic parts from degrading, shrinking or cracking, which helps prevents leaks and other problems. And you'll probably never have a hint of condensation, gelling or sludging of the oil itself, which is important when driving short distances in cold weather.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Use a synthetic media oil filter and you won't have to worry about it.

Change the oil/filter together at every scheduled service. If you don't want to go 10k miles, then 7.5k or 5k miles is something that costs more but will give you peace of mind, and avoid common issues caused by negligence and neglect.

Regardless of the interval you use, check the oil level regularly and keep it at the optimum full level. Always use synthetic oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Always change the filter when changing the oil, every 10K with 0W-20 synthetic. Car runs like a top and doesn't burn a drop.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It was $63 after tax & etc for a synthetic oil (0W-20) and filter change, plus tire rotation along with the multi-point inspection at my local Toyota dealership with coupon. Yes, I could change my own oil and rotate my own tires....but the multi-point inspection by someone who KNOWS what they are looking at is priceless and worth having done at least once in a while. The last time I was in, they "yellow" marked the cabin air filter and engine air filter. I bought both online and did them myself. This trip, no mention of it. As another poster mentioned, they typically set your "service due" indicator to go off at 5K miles (not to be confused with the check engine light). My second visit to this dealership, at about 5K miles, I asked for the synthetic oil & filter change and the service advisor told me that it was not due until 10K miles....which was turning down easy money (I still had them do it). So far....honesty rules. This time, they mentioned that my brakes are in the "green" borderline to the "yellow" on the Toyota multi-point list. I have heard them talk to other people about brakes and "resurfacing" the rotors......vs replacing them. The factory original brakes and rotors seem to be fine at 63K miles....Good quality rotors that don't have rust choking the ventilation vanes or the non-frictions surfaces impress me. I realize that there are dealerships that SAY that they do things, but just shoot your car out with the minimum and/or try to upsell you on everything under the sun.....been there and done that.....and moved on to another dealership. But IF....you find a place that ACTUALLY gives you good service. I DO recommend having their service at least now and then....unless YOU are a mechanic yourself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts