Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Camry LE and just take the car to my mechanic to get the maintenance done (oil changes, brake service/replacement). I have not done a single scheduled maintenance at the Dealership.

I now have about 129,000 KM (close to 80K Miles) on it and wanted to know when should I get the Serpentine Belt and Water Pump replaced? I was thinking that the coolant needs swapping at 160,000 KM (100K Miles) and it might be a good time to get the belt replaced then. What about the Water Pump? How long do they last?

When I had my 2002 Camry LE V6, I got the Timing Belt, Water Pump and accessory belts (Serpentine, etc.) done around 137,000 KM (approx 85K miles).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Photojournalist
2012 Camry LE
1,800 Posts
Look at the belt. Alligator checkering or cracks? No? Wait. If you just want to change the pump change the belt anyway.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ask your mechanic the same question and see what he thinks.......

Change your water pump when it starts to leak. They don't explode but start dripping fluid , then gradually get worse. Some last a while , some last a long long time.

Change your belt if you see cracking on the inside parts of it or if it squeals. If you have an automatic tensioner ,check the belt tension and if it's too loose, replace the tensioner and belt together.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just bumping this thread as I now have 161K Km on it (around 100K Miles). When have most people here changed:

• Serpentine Belt
  • Idler Pully
  • Belt Tensioner
  • Water Pump

·
Registered
95 Posts
according to Gates, some cracking on the inner ribs of the belt is OK and normal. Last time I checked their web page they gave a good guide for evaluating belts, and even sent me a small tool to measure the depth of the groves to determine if the belt was worn out or not. That would be Gates Rubber Co.

Water pump, wait til it leaks or squeals. Our 03 Camry had over 200,000 miles on the original pump when it was sold, still no issues. I replaced the one on a 2000 Corolla at about 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Pump is changed when it fails....it'll make noise or leak
Belt is changed when needed. Since I commonly see failed belts from clueless drivers, I recommend changing it every 5 years or. 60k miles.

Coolant is good for 5 years. Any more is just bad marketing by your automaker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts