Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TRD 4 X 4 Off Road. I don't know if I should be putting the additive in the rear diff. Do all TRD Off Roads have a limited slip? Do bottles of gear oil have the additive? The stuff I just put in my diff was from Car Quest, Full Synthetic, 75W-90. The bottle says, "Full Limited Slip Performance". Does this mean no additive is necessary? Thanks. BTW, it's a very good gear lube. I've been using it for many years without any problems. Will save you 4 or 5 bucks over a bottle of Valvoline. Use this stuff, and it's like putting an extra 10 bucks in your wallet.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
From what the Tacoma site and Yota sitess your fine without an additive with your diff and using the synthetic.
From those in the know. If nothing else a good baseline for more research.
2005 thru 2008 TRD Sports have a mechanical LSD which requires an additive when you change the diff fluid.
2009+ TRDs have A-LSD which uses the brakes to simulate limited slip but they are just open differentials (no additive necessary)
2005+ TRD Off Roads have the E-locker (no additive necessary, functions as an open differential until locked)
2005 - 2008 mechanical LSD was an option for SR5, but not standard
2009+ SR5 have open differentials

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the subject chimes in and can confirm but as far as I know, the off-road editions have a locking differential and not a limited slip. Therefore, off-road editions do NOT need any additives. Quick research shows that the limited-slip, mechanical differential was only used in the 05-08 Tacoma Sport models which does need an additive added when changing the rear differential fluid. In 09 and later though, it seems the limited slip functionality is no longer mechanical and is done via the brakes instead

·
My Other Truck
3,786 Posts
Agree with the above.... TRD Off Road Tacos have rear E-Lockers, no additives required. Gear oil with additives already in it are not necessary but will work just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts