Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
TRD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

how often are you supposed to change the gear oil on 5 speed models? I heard they rarely need to be changed on manual transmissions. What is true? Should I leave everything unchanged and run it without flushing the gear oil? Would that cause problems with my tranny, leaks etc? What are the side effects if any? I dont want to rebuilt my tranny if thats the case.

What's the proper way...do a full flush, drain and refill or just leave the manual tranmission fluid alone since its only gear oil?

Any expert advise would help.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hi,

how often are you supposed to change the gear oil on 5 speed models? I heard they rarely need to be changed on manual transmissions. What is true? Should I leave everything unchanged and run it without flushing the gear oil? Would that cause problems with my tranny, leaks etc? What are the side effects if any? I dont want to rebuilt my tranny if thats the case.

What's the proper way...do a full flush, drain and refill or just leave the manual tranmission fluid alone since its only gear oil?

Any expert advise would help.
With a manual, you don't flush it, just drain and fill since all the fluid comes out when you pull the drain plug. Automatics only get 1/3 of the fluid out when you pull the plug. I change it every 60k miles.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Toyota doesn't specify a drain interval for the manual transmissions. After reading used oil reports from manual transmission fluid on the internet, I decided it was in my (and my car's) best interest to change it early. I also took the opportunity to change the fluid to Redline MT-90 (a must in my opinion). Shift quality and feel are improved. I changed mine at about 20k miles. I'll probably do it again at 50k miles. The old fluid looked pretty bad coming out.

·
TRD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manual tranmission 9th gen 2003

hi Jason,

how many miles does your car have now? are u experiencing any problems or is it better after chaning it.

I heard stories once they drain the manual tranmission fluid problems arise afterwards. Now im getting worried if I should just leave it alone and not experience any tranny problems especially rebuilting it.

Car has 160k kms. Never changed since brand new

·
Registered
466 Posts
hi Jason,

how many miles does your car have now? are u experiencing any problems or is it better after chaning it.

I heard stories once they drain the manual tranmission fluid problems arise afterwards. Now im getting worried if I should just leave it alone and not experience any tranny problems especially rebuilting it.

Car has 160k kms. Never changed since brand new
I never had any problems before or after changing at 60k miles. You should be fine changing it and it won't cause any problems. It's just like changing the engine oil - it won't cause problems doing it.

·
TRD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its been unchanged since it was bought brand new now it has 160k kms with original gear oil. Once I drain and fill it you think theres a chance of having tranny problems or even a rebuilt one. Any personal experience or have heard someone experiencing this nightmare?

thanks for all the comments

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Mine only has 23k miles on it now. Changing it out should cause you no problems. Every now and then, you run across a rumor that changing automatic transmission fluid after so many miles causes more problems than just leaving it in. I don't really have a comment on that rumor, but I will say that I've never heard that said about manual transmission fluid. Even after just 22k miles (when I changed it), mind shifts so much smoother with the new fluid. I used Redline MT-90, rather than conventional GL-4. THe MT-90 is a GL-4 certified fluid, but is fully synthetic, and offers smoother shifting, especially when cold. I'll keep it in until 50k miles, then probably drain it and refill again. It only takes 2 quarts. The MT-90 is $15/quart, but it's money well spent in my opinion.

·
Registered
466 Posts
its been unchanged since it was bought brand new now it has 160k kms with original gear oil. Once I drain and fill it you think theres a chance of having tranny problems or even a rebuilt one. Any personal experience or have heard someone experiencing this nightmare?

thanks for all the comments
No, just change it, it will be fine. It is not like the automatics. The rumor is for automatics that if you do a transmission fluid FLUSH, that it could break loose some crud and it could get stuck in the small passageways in an automatic. A drain and fill for an automatic eliminates this potential problem. A flush on an automatic removes all the fluid from it, because just pulling the plug does not drain it all. If you pull the plug on a manual, it all drains, like the engine oil. So just do the drain your manual tranny, refill, and it will be AOK.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
I would replace it with Redline MT-90. It's a high quality synthetic gear oil that has been demonstrated to improve shift feel. You'll likely never need to change it again either, since it's such a stout oil. I'm not really a "synthetic oil" kind of guy, but for a lubricant that is rarely changed, and for one that so noticeably improves the driving experience, it was a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
Corolla
84 Posts
I changed mine out at 5k whne my car was new. I went with Mobil 1 gear oil. The synthetic oil makes for smoother shifts in winter when it's under 20F and your car is cold.

·
TRD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i am debating between Redline mt90 or Amsoil 75w90 any suggestions? I need one that's good in Canadian winters. Our climate can get down to -30 degrees so I want something thats reliable.

I heard their both good. What kind of synthetic gear oil do you guys use? It has to be 75w90 GL-4 or GL-5.

·
We have lift-on
2005 Corolla XRS
754 Posts
i am debating between Redline mt90 or Amsoil 75w90 any suggestions? I need one that's good in Canadian winters. Our climate can get down to -30 degrees so I want something thats reliable.

I heard their both good. What kind of synthetic gear oil do you guys use? It has to be 75w90 GL-4 or GL-5.
Changed to Redline MT-90, 2 days ago. It's a 75W-90, GL-4, full synthetic gear oil. Very happy with it so far. Obviously other people have been running MT-90 longer than I have and I haven't seen any complaints with gear changes in major negative degree temperatures.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
I bought straight from Redline, and paid $15/qt shipped. $30 for two quarts. I've heard mixed reviews of other brands, like Royal Purple, and Mobil 1. Nobody had anything but 100% positive things to say about the Redline MT-90. 30 bucks and a week of waiting is well worth the near-guaranteed improvement in shifting feel.

·
TRD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool...did you buy new crush washers to replace the old one before putting back the 24mm bolt or did you use the old one? I heard if you don't replace it you'll get slow leaks...

anyone use Amsoil or motylgear or Lucas 75w90?

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
I used the old one. I've never replaced a crush washer on the engine oil pan, and I've never had a leak. Expect the same on the transaxle drain. ;)

·
Offcial TN Newbie
08 Corolla S
288 Posts
Mine only has 23k miles on it now. Changing it out should cause you no problems. Every now and then, you run across a rumor that changing automatic transmission fluid after so many miles causes more problems than just leaving it in. I don't really have a comment on that rumor, but I will say that I've never heard that said about manual transmission fluid. Even after just 22k miles (when I changed it), mind shifts so much smoother with the new fluid. I used Redline MT-90, rather than conventional GL-4. THe MT-90 is a GL-4 certified fluid, but is fully synthetic, and offers smoother shifting, especially when cold. I'll keep it in until 50k miles, then probably drain it and refill again. It only takes 2 quarts. The MT-90 is $15/quart, but it's money well spent in my opinion.

what about Royal Purple 75-90 synthetic tanny oil? I heard they are thinker than redline 75-90, did you ever try Royal Purple?

·
We have lift-on
2005 Corolla XRS
754 Posts
@rollallor. I paid quite a bit; $19 CAD at a parts store I don't normally go to, and I had a 30% discount card. They were selling it at $28 retail (I nearly had a heart attack hahaha). I personally replaced the crush gaskets on my car, but that's because I want this car to be better than brand new!!! I didn't torque it because I didn't know the magic number until after performing the change.

@Slaander: I heard that RP was smooth to start with but then wasn't after driving around with it for a bit. It shouldn't be thicker if it's the same oil weight. I found that most of the serious gear heads were running MT-90; so I along with many others, joined them. Others have tried other synthetics but most of them end up sticking to the MT-90.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts