Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
freakinbox said:
well shocks stop your car from bouncing over and over again, so if you push down on the car and is bounces a bunch replace them. think the rule is 3 bounces?

I think 3 might be too much. If you push down hard on any corner of the car, it should go down, up, and back to level and stop. Any more movement than that is too much. Replace that shock, and probably the one on the opposite side too, ( if you have one bad front, replace both front) if you can afford it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A local repair shop around here said every 50k miles. While the mileage may be inaccurate, they made a good point as to why you need to replace them. Braking with bad shocks would cause your car to dip at the nose, which would shift weight from the center towards the front of the car. This would make your rear tires have less traction and thus less stopping power.

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
Shocks will soon be the big "check and replace" item. The bounce test is probably the easiest way, although results can vary from one tester to the next. Leaking oil is a sure sign. I've "heard" that 100k is a good point. If you figure the amount of movement per mile, it's staggering over the life of the shock.

Aftermarket shocks will improve your ride (and wear and tear) regardless of whether or not you replace them at 50k or 100k. I order to really "test" them, you would have to set up a "box" and measure the stock height vs current height vs inches of allow suspension travel.

Worn shocks, as was stated, decrease handling, increase braking distances, and increase tire wear. Braking percentage is very low for a FWD vehicle anyway (70% front / 30% rear) so the more you can keep back there (in a sense anyway), the better.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
if they clunk or leak you waited to long to replace them

I still think the rule is 3 bounces for a safety, which is fine for normal driving. if your going to try to push the car hard with cornering you'll want better than that

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
DarkNinja75 said:
A local repair shop around here made a good point as to why you need to replace them. Braking with bad shocks would cause your car to dip at the nose, which would shift weight from the center towards the front of the car. This would make your rear tires have less traction and thus less stopping power.

That is quite true. Makes for an exciting experience if you have to panic stop, downhill in the wet!!!

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
the way the corolla is set up it would be good to check them at 75K and replace if necessary. most shocks have totally lost their reflexes by 100K of normal driving under normal loads.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
The Corolla I just bought ('92 sedan) has 143K on it. The darn shocks feel like they might just be the originals. The thing rides like a boat!

Next item on the shopping list ......... shocks!!!

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
freakinbox said:
if they clunk or leak you waited to long to replace them

I still think the rule is 3 bounces for a safety, which is fine for normal driving. if your going to try to push the car hard with cornering you'll want better than that
You're right about the leak part! Unfortunately, most people don't find a blown shock unless they're looking at something else, or happen tofind a puddle behind a wheel. A very neglected part indeed.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Autozone.com 4 Gabriel struts about $160.00 give or take. plus your hard labor... either that or pay a shop about $800.00 to do them, but its a pretty dirty hard job to do all 4.. yourself...

:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey my 88 rolla is jus about at 100k, and i think i should get new shocks. I doubt they have ever been replaced and have very little reflex left in them.

What is good aftermarket replacement KYB's?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
nodrogkam said:
A good oem replacement will be KYB GR-2
If you want stiffer feel get Tokico.
If you knew how damned stiff my Gabriels are you would not want any stiffer Struts... I think they hve been on a couple years now and they are still extremely stiff... They are big and beefy...

when I took off the old ones, I could push and pull them with 2 fingers the full length in and out for an hour...

The New Struts are so damned stiff I can push on the bumper with my whole body weight on one foot and barely move the car down 2 inches..

:eek:

I kinda wish they were not so stiff, the ride could be smoother... plus I am not racing anything...

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,445 Posts
retiredat44 said:
If you knew how damned stiff my Gabriels are you would not want any stiffer Struts... I think they hve been on a couple years now and they are still extremely stiff... They are big and beefy...

when I took off the old ones, I could push and pull them with 2 fingers the full length in and out for an hour...

The New Struts are so damned stiff I can push on the bumper with my whole body weight on one foot and barely move the car down 2 inches..

:eek:
My still fresh Tokicos are not that bad.

How about the car squeaking every time I go over a bump? Not exactly Corolla; it's my Camry that's doing this.

·
IROC-IT-ALL-NIGHT-LONG
1995 Corolla
348 Posts
$160 + special tools and your saturday = damn worth it if the only other option is $800.

3 bounces sounds right from a AAA pampthlet.

anyway, if it feels like your running over dead bodies all the time, good giveaway that your shocks are gone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts