Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am in the middle of a rebuild of my 90 toyota 4X4 22RE i have been in the middle of it for about a year now.. long story.. But at any rate i was reading all these threads bout how changing the engine mounts makes the engine seem to shake less an less noise... SO i have about 190,000 on my truck now.. and well the motor mounts are right there in front of me due to the fact that the engine is pulled so i was wondering if i should go head and change em out just because?

Or how often do they go out? I know they have rubber inside of em that may wear.. Or how do you tell when they are bad?

I know most of you know more then i do so please let me know what you all think.. The more the merrier.. I cant read enough bout this stuff before i actually do anything..

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
443 Posts
undertow29 said:
SO i have about 190,000 on my truck now.. and well the motor mounts are right there in front of me due to the fact that the engine is pulled so i was wondering if i should go head and change em out just because?
I think you answered your own question, don't you?

Do it now when they're in your hand or do them when you have to get back under there and jack it back up and you're kicking yourself saying "why didn't I just get new ones when I had this blasted thing out?" to me it's a drop in the hat.

Who's to say when the rubber will go? My first Astro went 300k without needing motor mounts. My second Astro needed both sides at 240k. So who knows? But it's kinda like, well since I've got it out, why not replace the water pump? and the timing chain and guides, etc while I'm in there... kinda a drop in the bucket.

Please forgive the rant, I just woke up in the middle of the night and will most likely be asleep in a few minutes again.

·
rookie
796 Posts
as far as determining which mounts are bad, ( this is more useful on a transverse engine ) have someone let the clutch out slowly with the parking brake on while you stand to the side and observe which side of the engine collapses or lifts dramatically. It would be a whole lot nicer to just do it with the engine out. Just do it

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
My signature line says it perfectly.....

Weak mounts will allow the transfer of more noise and vibration from the drive line to the chassis. While they usually don't get replaced til they break, doing so now will make your truck smoother and quieter.

So any how

read below

·
rookie
796 Posts
vicoor the great actually came up with the advertising slogan "Just Do It" for Nike and then they fired him and never gave him a cent for it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is there a way of knowing if they are bad in the first place? I mean the engine is out so i pretty much just shook the thing and it felt like they where ok.. but i am really not sure if i wanna spend the extra money or not... what do you all think?

·
Registered
87 Posts
spend the extra money man. i wish i was in your situation

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok.. so when i buy the mounts they should come with both the top and bottom part right? or are they only one part?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
While I agree that it would definately be easier to do them now, it is not absolutley necessary. If you can't afford the $80-$100 or so that the new ones will cost, then go ahead and use the old ones. At least you don't have to rip the motor apart to replace them.

I was on a tight budget when I rebuilt my motor so I reused the old ones. I haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok cool just checking.. thats alot pee_cuper

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok cool just checking.. thats alot pee_cuper

·
Registered
201 Posts
i agree that its not absoutely necessary to do it, but if you can afford to do it now i would recomend that you do. you will thank yourself later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts