Toyota Nation Forum banner

When will there be an electric or hybrid 4Runner?

444 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  NewGuy61
I'd love to buy a 4Runner. But they get 17 mpg. No way.

Toyota has recently said that hybrids are probably better than full EVs. Several hybrids are now offered, including a hybrid Camry and Corolla. The hybrid Camry gets 50 mpg! That is fantastic.

I figure a hybrid 4Runner should get at least 30 to 35 mpg, which would be much better than 17. Then I may bite.

Any rumors or throughts?
Reactions: mrmike7189
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
19,214 Posts
Last I saw was due to all the supply chain issues etc. They'll offer a Hybrid for the 2025 4runner.
Since the next Gen is gonna have a 2.5L Twin Turbo some say they'll adapt that to the to the electric motor out of the Rav4 Hybrid. Which supposedly gets an combined EPA rating of 38 mpg
Maybe a single larger turbo and electric?

· Banned
224 Posts
Toyota leads the world in Solid State batteries, they have full sized cars running on Solid State batteries in Japan. The hybrids with the SS battery have been announced to be for sale in the US 2025. This is a game changer. SS bats weight at least 66%less that the current wet li bats, charge in 5 minutes, and eliminate most of the hazards associated with the wet bats now in use by everyone. I don't know if there is going to be a hybrid 4Runner in 2025, but my guess is the 4Runner, when it is offered as a hybrid (utilizing Toyota's and their partner-Panasonic's ss bat) it will be at least 30MPG, if not more. There is no doubt Toyota has a big stake in Hydrogen, in fact they have Hydrogen fueled cars for sale now (and have had for quite some time). With the EU transitioning many of their diesel trains to Hydrogen (they have 20-30 running routes now), about as fast as they can be manufactured, along with other places in the world going with the hydrogen trains, hydrogen fueling stations should become more and more common, worldwide. The fuel cell tech is really an electric, whereas the ICE fueled by hydrogen is coming on, even Cummins is building and delivering hydrogen burning mills-now. Rolls-Royce has shown the world their hydrogen fueled jet engine-they expect hydrogen to be the fuel of the future for commercial aviation. I would not count it out.

· Registered
20 Posts
I would buy a hybrid....I hope they make one.
Electric; .....with the cost of electricity going up 60% this month at my home, I would not consider electric to be a cost saver at all. It would cost me thousands just to get a charging station installed in my driveway, then the price to charge it every night. No way

· Registered
2023 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium
66 Posts
EV is not ready for Prime Time. Hybrid technology has matured and is a great option. I have been driving a 13yr old GM hybrid truck for about 4 years and I have finally given up up on waiting for it to die (now at 266k miles) I just ordered a 23 4runner trd off road premium and will sell that old beast. Really was impressed with the hybrid technology the thing is a tank. Hoping this Toyota can make 500k miles as easily as that GM product made 266k LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts