Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some 16x6, 16x7 with offset of 35-42mm, 5x100. Or even some 17", would be better.

Does anyone know what make or model of other vehilces would have stock size steel rims? I want to go junk yarding a get a set. I've trying to look up a few different GM models (FWD) but haven't really had any luck. Then I thought I would ask the knowledge of the board.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
atobe said:
spacers all the way around... subbies use +55 offset
Depending on what year and type of wheel, they are 48 to 55 offset, and all since '93 are 5x100 except for the newest STi's...

They do have a slightly different center hub size (maybe 1-2mm bigger), so they might wobble a bit...

-Charlie

·
Going to rainforest, BRB
2014 Tacoma 4x4 RC
1,557 Posts
white90dx said:
Depending on what year and type of wheel, they are 48 to 55 offset, and all since '93 are 5x100 except for the newest STi's...

They do have a slightly different center hub size (maybe 1-2mm bigger), so they might wobble a bit...

-Charlie
That shouldn't matter, as the wheel is located (centered) by the lugnuts.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
HomeGrown said:
That shouldn't matter, as the wheel is located (centered) by the lugnuts.
Having had *personal* experience with high-speed vibration due to mis-matched hub/wheel sizes, I can tell you that's not true. Whenever possible, you should use wheels that were meant for your hub size...

-Charlie

·
Going to rainforest, BRB
2014 Tacoma 4x4 RC
1,557 Posts
Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the center hole of the wheel on our cars do not locate on the hubs. Having just completed a 4-wheel swap, I am quite certain this is the case. Although it was starting to rain, so I was a bit hurried. ;)

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
HomeGrown said:
Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the center hole of the wheel on our cars do not locate on the hubs. Having just completed a 4-wheel swap, I am quite certain this is the case. Although it was starting to rain, so I was a bit hurried. ;)
Ok, I'll correct you. ;) Wheels made specifically for the Camry have a 54.1mm center bore that fits perfectly on the hub. This is what allows you to snug the lug nuts down, set the car down then torque them correctly. If the hub did not correctly locate the wheels, there is a good chance you would get vibration. Yes, the lugs do a decent job of locating the wheels, but they need help from the hub.

The wheel swap you did was from Camry specific steelies to Camry specific alloys - so you probably didn't even notice that they slid very nicely onto the hub.

I personally had an issue with my WRX (aftermarket wheels that were missing the correct hubcentric spacers), but the issue is the same with most cars...

The new Celica 16" wheels require lug nuts with flat washers (not the angled nuts that are stock on the Camry). When you put those wheels on, it becomes very obvious that you need the hub to do the centering of the wheel. :)

-Charlie

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with Charlie on this one. I speak from experience too. HomeGrown what you are talking about, "lug centering" is called lug centeric. What Charlie is talking about, "hub centering" is called hub centeric. I do believe almost all stock cars/wheels us the hubcentric centering method. But they do make platic rings that fit into hubs that are to large for the hub. This sizes the hole down so the wheel will center on the hug like a stock wheel. It is the best and easiest to get good results. You can tell when wheel is a little out of balance especially with todays larger rim sizes.

Last summer I got my first set of 18" rims for my wifes '99 camry. They sent me the wrong hub centric adaptors. So I ran the wheels without the for week until I got them. You could feel a very slight vibration. Once I put the hub centering rings on very thing was good, no more vibration. On the other hand I had a '88 celica in high school. I put aftermarket 15" rims on. I never had the hub centering rings, just used the lugs to center. It seemed to work fine. But I had to be careful as I tightened the lugs as the wheel would move a little as each lug was tightend.

I'm sure the 15" rims didn't make as big of a difference as the 18". Because the 18" rims have more mass, and more rotational mass, which is also further toward the outer edge of the wheel, i.e. less tire sidewall, more metal rim.

My 2 cents, correct me if I'm wrong, hope this helps

·
Going to rainforest, BRB
2014 Tacoma 4x4 RC
1,557 Posts
Wonder if they're like these? That may look pretty decent.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I saw these wheels on an old Dodge Caravan and I wanted to see if they would fit on my car. The info from discountedwheelwarehouse.com goes like this:

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Dodge_2___Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm
Caravan 14X6 5X100 12Xmm1.5

Camry 13X5 5X 100 12mmX1.5

and then there was something called CB:
Caravan 57.1
Camry 54.1

I only need to look at the wheel and bolt pattern right? Would the 6 inch width do anything to my Camry?

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
CB = center bore

This goes back to the discussion from above hub centric vs. lug centric....

In aftermarket wheels (where you can get the right size hubcentric ring), you need to worry about bolt pattern, width, and offset.

-Charlie

·
Going to rainforest, BRB
2014 Tacoma 4x4 RC
1,557 Posts
They listed the Camry wheel as being 13" ?? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
wheels wrx so......

Thanks guys for a the info in these posts.So to use older stock wrx rims on my gen 2 wgn, i would need hub crntric spacers=wheels spacers? thanks sorry to beat a dead horse,just do not want to source the rims/tires and not work.thanks bob s alex.va. 88 gen.2 wgn 77000 original miles

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.