Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have a older 2007 Camry with 180plus kilometres on it. Where do you guys go to service your camry? A Toyota dealer or a private mechanic and why? Thanks , adrian.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,445 Posts
Myself because a 2AZ-FE is simple.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep, I go to my garage. Since you are asking I'm assuming that's not something your are interested in.

Personally I'd suggest a private shop, dealerships can be difficult to work with on older cars since they want to do everything by the book. Sometimes a cheap fix will last the life of the car and save you thousands. They will also be quick to blame issues on aftermarket parts and claim you need to replace everything with OEM before they can properly diagnose. It's not that they are bad or lazy, but in a lot of ways they have their hands tied.
Source: I used to be a tech at a dealership and I have been maintaining my own stuff for decades.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agree. Do the easy stuff your self. You can do it. Start with learning how to do an "oil and filter". change.

Then. Observe. When changing the oil and filter. Look for anything that does not seem normal.

Wet spots on drive way, color of the wet spots, unusual noises, etc.....then think, can I fix myself, or

go to my mechanic. (not dealer). Toyota's are pretty reliable.

·
Registered
07 Tacoma 4X4
378 Posts
DIY'er. 4 cylinders are relatively easy to service. The 6 cylinders are more difficult as there is less space to work around. That being said, there are some excellent threads here to help you do most maintenance jobs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts