Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my friend's car is at the shop and they say that the car needs a new coil and it's $250. The part is $90 and they are saying it is a 2-hour job.

I can't find a pic of an engine bay of a gen 3 Camry with 4-cylinder that clearly shows the position of the coil, but 2 hours seems like a lot of tiem for such a simple part.

The specifics: 1992 Camry 4-door with inline 4 (don't know engine code).

I'm inclined to call BS on the estimate but I want to be sure.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hossy said:
Yes its in the dist. I get an hour to r&r a coil and set timing. Thats a little high. Is it a dealer?
yup.

I called a friend of mine who owns his own shop and his book called for 2 hours too.

Must be in one hell of an awkward spot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow i've been ripping myself off. LOL. You remove the dist, romove the cap and it fastens by four phillip head screws in from the side and two 7mm nuts hold the leads on to the coil. Good luck.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. She went ahead and had the repair done, $300, and the car still runs the same (either doesn't start, or starts and dies as soon as you put it in gear).

Now they're saying it needs a full tune-up (plugs wires cap rotor).

Thing is I did wires and plugs in the car last October. I think I did cap and rotor too but I'm not sure.

They are claiming the coil was also misfiring and so the original $300 charge still stands.

Sounds like they are throwing parts at the car. They want $260 for the tune-up. I told her to have the car towed back to her place. I can put in the plugs wires cap rotor for her and the cost of those parts plus the tow will be less than $260.

I could understand this kind of thing from some kind of hack shop but this is the dealer. They are supposed to know better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts