Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm... any idea where should i tap it?.. i have seen a lot of ae92 with fog light installed.. should i add relay?

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
Yea, should add a relay. It goes Fogs > Relay > Headlight Fuse(+). Everytime I turn my headlights on, they come on.

That lower left green wire, tap that into where the headlight fuse goes into in the fuse box under the hood.

This is a relay you can get from Pepboys or whatever in the section where all the Pilot brand fog lights are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea, should add a relay. It goes Fogs > Relay > Headlight Fuse(+). Everytime I turn my headlights on, they come on.

That lower left green wire, tap that into where the headlight fuse goes into in the fuse box under the hood.

This is a relay you can get from Pepboys or whatever in the section where all the Pilot brand fog lights are.
Now what if I wanted to wire some up to a separate switch? Say a set of off road lights for blasting around in the snow? I do a lot of driving through crazy snow (lake effect snow+living in the middle of nowhere=teh suck), and the brights don't *quite* cut it sometimes. A set of off road lights/rally lights mounted at headlight level should do the trick wonderfully, but I don't want them on when I'm driving around town.

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
You can put a switch in.... Like what the diagram shows, that green wire with the switch on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can put a switch in.... Like what the diagram shows, that green wire with the switch on it.
I figured it out, I just wasn't sure what that wire would lead to. Say I want to make sure that I can't accidentally leave them on when I leave the car (lights turn off when I turn the car off). I found another diagram:

would it be pretty much the same (minus the indicator light in the upper right)? Where would I have to tap the fusebox?

·
Registered
221 Posts
You will have to figure which wire has switched power if you want to run them without the lights on. Or if you want them on just when the lights are on you can run the signal wire off a light wire. I like to use the parking lights as the signal wire. When you turn on the park lights the fogs can come on if you switch them on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
my fog lights are tapped into my parklights with no problem. but gonna switch to a switch soon because switching to yellow hids instead of bulbs. so if your using halogen bulbs your fine tapping into the park lights

·
Registered
Land Cruiser kzj95
91 Posts
my fog lights are tapped into my parklights with no problem. but gonna switch to a switch soon because switching to yellow hids instead of bulbs. so if your using halogen bulbs your fine tapping into the park lights
I personally think that all aux. lights should be connected through a relay and as all other electronics they should be fused. Why would you not use a relay? They´re cheap, they get more voltage to your lights (That is, if the wiring is up to par) and they let you use smaller switches and protect your OEM wiring.

Your fogs would be much brighter if you bothered to wire them properly and you would not run the risk of melting the wiring for your parking lights. That wiring was designed to power lights that are maybe 4 or 6 5W bulbs, thats 20-30W, and you´re likely drawing 110 extra Watts through those wires. Thats like adding 22 parking light to the circuit!

·
All We'll Drive
88 All-Trac wagon
653 Posts
Bump for this topic as I have a question now that I've got a junkyard set of fogs. Are 85 and 86 in the fog light wiring diagrams interchangeable? And, as for the switch, is it a single wire running from 85 to the switch, and that's it (beside the switch has a ground for the LED in mine)? In the second pic above, it shows the switch running into the fuse panel (IGN). Could I instead wire the switch into the ignition just after the key / ignition switch? Electrical stuff confuses me sometimes. And it doesn't help that I forget where one of the wires coming off the switch was routed to (one was yellow and ran to the relay at number 86).

I'm missing something here with my test run on the relay with an LED indicator switch, some alligator clips, and the wagon's battery. Though it's also possible the relay is bad, since it came out of a junkyard and I have no idea if it was working properly beforehand. The relay I've got is a Bosch, 12v, 30amp, and looks like the one in the second pic (two tabs for 87 -- separate power for both fogs).

·
All We'll Drive
88 All-Trac wagon
653 Posts
So I've gotten my fogs wired up, everything was working, at least for the first morning I drove with them on. That afternoon, when I got home, I decided to flip them on to see how bright they were in daylight. Nothing. I popped the hood and checked my inline (15A) fuse... blown. I put in another 15A fuse... it blows. Same for a 20A. What could I be missing? I upgraded the wiring from the stock ~16 gauge to 14 for the power to the fogs and most everything else, and 12 for the grounds and from the battery to the fuse to the relay.

And as for my previous questions, I would still like to know if 85 and 86 on a relay are interchangeable. And I tapped into my ignition switch by making a "jumper harness" made from the connectors that I pulled from a junkyard. I'll be using the jumper harness in the future most likely, with all the Honda wiring I'll have to add.

·
Registered
92 Corolla LSX
23 Posts
Remember that your fog lights must turn off when your high beams turn on. It's against the law otherwise.. But considering you are looking at an off-road set you wont get caught in a situation you can be ticketed for that.

Mostly this is a warning to all of you using those diagrams because i see no interruption to the circuit for when the high beams come on. It is a rule that the auto manufacturers need to follow so keep it in mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts