Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the camry blew a couple months ago and im just now gettin around to trying to get it running again. i want to know where i can buy a used/reliable 5sfe motor for a fair price. my buddy that works at a salvage yard said he can get me one for $400....but im worried about picking one up thats just gonna have problems again a few months down the road. has anyone else had luck with salvaged motors? also, is it true only '96 camry's have to have '96 camry 5sfe's cause of some sensor on the motor that the others dont have? which sensor is this if this is true?

·
camry Wookie
430 Posts
i know the o2 sensor and catalytic converter arrangement are different from gen 3 to gen 3.5, is that what you're talking about? cuz that's an easy fix/mod/conversion or whatever you wanna call it...

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
try ebay...i kno theres a place in patterson, nj thats sells imprted 5sfe's

·
Registered
633 Posts
What year is your car ? What you need to make sure of is if it is a distributorless version or not.

1992 - 93 ones came with a distributor.
1994 and after were distributorless versions. (these ones do indeed have one more sensor on the cams which aim is to automatically settle the timing)

It is very difficult (if not impossible) to upgrade to a different version. There would be too many parts to change for such a work.
A good place to find a used engine (in the US or in Canada) is www.car-part.com but I would think of rebuild your current engine yourself instead as it won't be much more expensive but at least you'll know what you'll pay for.
Another thing to think of when you change your engine is to think of anything that might have possibly contributed in breaking your engine : have all your sensors tested, change your thermostat, is your radiator still ok ? Didn't your engine tend to overheat sometimes? What really happened in fact to your engine ?

·
97 BlackWidowed
camry
626 Posts
ebay has very nice reman..... check them out just put in 5sfe some of the companys if that engine wont fit your car they will get you one that will for a cheep price

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not exactly sure what happened yet... but it sounds like a bent rod or something. there is a HORRIBLE knocking noise in the block when it cranks up. ive been working so much i havent had time to spend some time on it and figure it out. im gonna try to find time this weekend to take the oil pan off and see what happened...cause after it blew, i checked the oil and the dipstick was bent at the tip.

btw...its a '96

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, say the block is rebuildable. where can i buy the parts i need (pistons, rods, bearings, etcs) to rebuild it?

and wtf...i looked on ebay for motors, 1600 for a remaned motor?!?!? i mean, is there some kind of 5sfe bandwagon going on that im not aware of? thats how much the most sought after honda swap goes for, for just a motor...the GSR. thats ridiculous.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey you can always try your local junk yard. They usually carry parts for your car. Depending on the owner the part my be cheap, as long as the part isn't damage then it will still be good.

Unless you want a whole new set of motor then ask a neighbor or go on ebay. But beware ebay can rip you off to.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Buy a cheap one and rebuild it before you drop it in. You can't garrantee any used motor unless you rebuild it. Get all seal, piston ring from Toyota they're better quality unless you go performance parts. For other, get an cheap old engine and pull parts you need. Best is still to rebuild another used motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, thanks guys.

i guess my next question, is for those of you that have pulled and put in new motors. how hard is it? just looking under the hood it looks like it can be a bitch, plus im not familar with toyota wiring and hosing. ive only pulled and dropped honda motors. im thinking i may just pull the motor out myself, then get a shop to put a new one in for me...i dont have time for both right now.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
Dirty said:
i guess my next question, is for those of you that have pulled and put in new motors. how hard is it?
It shouldn't be to hard, considering that you have experience pulling motors.

I've helped a friend pull a 5S-FE from a 94 Camry a few times for various reasons (blown motor & 2 blown trannies).

1. Disconnect the engine wiring harness from the ECU. The ECU is located behind the glovebox. Theres 2 nuts that hold the wiring harness to the firewall. After you get it unplugged and unbolted, pull it through the firewall.

The wiring harness also plugs into the fuse box (by the battery). So you'll need to unbolt it and unplug everything.

Theres a few ground straps that you'll need to disconnect. I forget where their at, so just look around for them.

2. Remove the radiator.

3. Unbolt the power steering hoses from the pump (2 hoses).

4. Unbolt the fuel hose from the top of the fuel filter.

5. Unbolt the cruise control actuator and move it out of the way.

6. Remove the axles from the tranny. This can be a bitch if you don't know how to remove them.

7. Unbolt the a/c compressor and tie it up out of the way.

8. Unbolt the engine mounts. Theres 4 of them (front engine mount, rear engine mount, tranny mount (on the bottom the tranny), and the dogbone mount (passenger side strut tower)).

On the front and rear mount, just remove the big bolt that goes through the top of the mount.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes ! it isn't that complicated. I took only a day to put it back in. Just an advice when you put the engine back in is put all the equipment back on the engine before reinstalling especially the power steering pump, there is well enough space for that. Replace a maximum of gaskets too as you are at it.
Good luck !

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Camry
1,384 Posts
I need to get a new engine, but the only 5SFE for a Camry in Puerto Rico is $1400 which I'm not paying. I wonder how much it would cost to ship an engine from Florida to Puerto Rico.

·
^
4,197 Posts
Pineapple said:
How to remove the axles? Pull the wheel hub first? Can I lift the engine without lifting the tranny?

Pull it together, its easier. The axles slipped out on my car, no retainers. You don't need to drain oil, but you will need to drain the coolant. If you pull the rad (2 min job once drained) you'll open up a fair bit of space.

·
^
4,197 Posts
One other thing, the output seals on the tranny are crappy and will break if they're old, I'd get new ones for when you put it back together, cheap insurance.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
Pineapple said:
How to remove the axles? Pull the wheel hub first?
Yes, unbolt them from the hub first.

The axles pop into the tranny, so they need to be pryed out.

Drivers side: You can just pry it out.

Passenger side: Remove the snap ring and bolt from the carrier bearing, then pry the axle out of the tranny.

Can I lift the engine without lifting the tranny?
Its possible, but good luck doing it.

I find it easier to pull the whole thing (engine + tranny) out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MadDawg said:
Check ebay, they sell rebuilt back to factory settings 5SFE engines on there....

type in "5sfe"
yea but they are like $1200...my buddy will sell my a salvage motor for $400. i can take it back within 1 month if something goes wrong with it. my ex g/f bought a motor for her civic from him about 8 months ago and hasnt had a problem.

thanks guys...yall have all helped out a lot. i guess im gonna try to find time to do this myself with the help of a few friends. im working 65-70 hr work weeks so its hard right now to find time. plus the guys who own the shop that my car is at right now are out of town, supposedly they wont be back until the 21st or something. we'll see what happens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts