Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Tacoma regular cab. I live in Portland OR USA. Who makes fiberglass canopies and who has the best value? I can get a leer for $1030. Is that a good deal?

I'd like the following features:
Sliding side doors
Sliding front door to back of cab.
No headliner.
Red paint to match.
Fiberglass body, not steel, not aluminum.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
70 Posts
zootjeff said:
I have a 99 Tacoma regular cab. I live in Portland OR USA. Who makes fiberglass canopies and who has the best value? I can get a leer for $1030. Is that a good deal?

I'd like the following features:
Sliding side doors
Sliding front door to back of cab.
No headliner.
Red paint to match.
Fiberglass body, not steel, not aluminum.

Thanks,

Jeff
Dont be afraid to get a top of the line topper like Leer, you wont regret it. If that $1030 is for their all glass top of the line then thats a hell of a buy. The headliner is worth getting too.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
excellent price, I don't think you will find anything under 900.00 unless you buy it used from someone in which case you can get it for 300.00 and up depending on what part of the country you are in.

Lance

·
Registered
0 Posts
I sold mine off my 1993 toyota pickup for $300. Think it was like 1500 new or around there....can't remember the brand but it was light as hell (fiberglass), sliding side and front windows with tint and the back raised up about 6"....not enough to get a 4 wheeler in but it was nice that you could get in it without crawling. So if you can find one used that would be the best bang for the buck...even if you have to paint it.

·
Aaron
10 Posts
Jeff I also live in Portland. I was looking months ago (never ended up getting one) and just called about 5 places in the yellow pages. The best price was in Oregon City. Price ranges from 800 to 1200 depending on exactly what you want. Anyway it's worth some phone calls. I think they also will be having more sales this spring.

Aaron

·
Registered
502 Posts
zootjeff; you got some good points here; let me add a few:

I bought a fiberglass Leer 3 years ago in Hillsboro (that distributor is out of business now). My canopy is a couple steps up from the basic one: I don't have the front sliding window because my truck doesn't, I do have the headliner & recommend it if you're going to sleep in the back. Mine also has sliding side vent windows; also important if you're camping in it.

I felt one important feature is the back window; I got the curved glass single-piece. My view is that it will last longer and is less likely to break than the framed-aluminum ones you see on cheaper canopies.

The canopies come stock painted a basic white; the matching paint is included in the price though some cheapskates opt not to get it painted & get a $200 credit or so.

My one regret is that I did not get the cleats for a roof rack mounted at the factory. I need a roof rack and have to go find a dealer to install them. It's not a big deal aftermarket, but if you get it done at the factory, the headliner covers the big rivets.

I've been very happy with the Leer; just make sure you keep the C-clamps tight & lube the proper points & you'll have no problems.

FYI, Glasstite is apparently the top-line manufacturer of canopies but they are really expensive. I was quoted about 4K for my Taco; a bit stiff for a basic truck. If I ever get a Tundra (if Toy ever makes a diesel), that's what I'll get for it.

Cheers,
C

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Corona67 said:
zootjeff; you got some good points here; let me add a few:

I bought a fiberglass Leer 3 years ago in Hillsboro (that distributor is out of business now). My canopy is a couple steps up from the basic one: I don't have the front sliding window because my truck doesn't, I do have the headliner & recommend it if you're going to sleep in the back. Mine also has sliding side vent windows; also important if you're camping in it.

I felt one important feature is the back window; I got the curved glass single-piece. My view is that it will last longer and is less likely to break than the framed-aluminum ones you see on cheaper canopies.

The canopies come stock painted a basic white; the matching paint is included in the price though some cheapskates opt not to get it painted & get a $200 credit or so.

My one regret is that I did not get the cleats for a roof rack mounted at the factory. I need a roof rack and have to go find a dealer to install them. It's not a big deal aftermarket, but if you get it done at the factory, the headliner covers the big rivets.

I've been very happy with the Leer; just make sure you keep the C-clamps tight & lube the proper points & you'll have no problems.

FYI, Glasstite is apparently the top-line manufacturer of canopies but they are really expensive. I was quoted about 4K for my Taco; a bit stiff for a basic truck. If I ever get a Tundra (if Toy ever makes a diesel), that's what I'll get for it.

Cheers,
C

I wound up finding a canopy locally for $425 (early version of the 100XL) It matches my truck perfectly color and shape and everything. The one I got has the vent windows in the back rather than the sliding windows. It has no screens. It has a front slider so the dog can sick her head through and get slobber everywhere. It has a headliner and it is in pretty good shape. I got a key with it but it fell down into our crawlspace when I brought it home. The Leer dealer said I can get a new one for 5 bucks. The clamps it came with are way too big.

What should I pay for clamps?

Should I be careful and put a peice of wood on the inside of the lip under the truck rail so that the clamp doesn't squeeze the double metal into each other? Is there a specific place to put the clamps>? I wouldn't want to clamp it down and then take it off and see that I left a big indentation pushing up that would be visable on the top of the rail..

I also went to nappa and got some canopy foam to make a seal.

I need to wire up the brakelight myself, do they make kits for this or do I just crack out the manual and start splicing wires?

·
Registered
2004 Tacoma 4Door
89 Posts
A co-worker of mine has a SNUGTOP on his Taco and looks great... He's got an exact same truck as mine, except it's a 2003... Check em out...

http://www.snugtop.com/index.php

1 - 8 of 8 Posts