Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Cruisin' Colorado
91 MR2 turbo 83 RX-7
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry to bother you all with this but I'm having one heckof a time finding the DIY Headlight clearing thread... does anyone ahve the link to it? All the posts I find talk about it but I can't find the acctual thread... I dunno maybe i'm just over lookinng it or something but i can't find it. Is it even still on TN?

·
Cruisin' Colorado
91 MR2 turbo 83 RX-7
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The solora one was good but what's the one that shows you how to remove the lens then sand the inside?

·
Cruisin' Colorado
91 MR2 turbo 83 RX-7
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What part is the lens optics?

I was reading in some other threads that you can heat up the lens or something to pop them off then sand the lens down for it to end up being crystal clear... I guess I mis understood what they were doing.. thus why I'm looking for the DIY thread that explains it.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
If you have a glass lens on your headlamp with lots of little lines on it and a parabolic reflector behind the bulb, you have lens optics. Those little lines on the glass are different shapes that act as the optics or lens to point the light where it is supposed to go.

The "clear" headlamps with polycarbonate lens use reflector optics. This type of headlamp has multi-face reflector behind the bulb that acts as the optics for the lamp. So the reflector points the light and makes the light pattern.

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,543 Posts
So which one does a 1997 Camry LE use? I think it's one with a reflector optic right?

·
Registered
gen 2 camry 2dr auto
42 Posts
go to autozone and get this kit they have its called the 5 minute headlamp lens restorer its these little foam pads that stick on this backing plate of a drill and all u do is get them wet and start polishing your headlights with them for just a few minutes and then polish the wax off and they will be crystal clear!! The kit was only like $11 and it comes with 6 pads, all u need is a drill and a spray bottle of water and a microfiber towel!!! Its the best thing ive ever seen done to headlights, i promise you won't be disappointed heres a link to show what the box looks like http://www.customchemicalpkg.com/headlight.html it should be by the paint stuff!!

·
Cruisin' Colorado
91 MR2 turbo 83 RX-7
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet I'll give that a try!

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
darksparkz said:
So which one does a 1997 Camry LE use? I think it's one with a reflector optic right?
No, 97-99 uses lens optics, that is why you should not sand that glass.
The 2000-1 uses reflector optics which allows it to have the polycarbonate lens.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Reflector optics:

If the lens on this type of headlight starts fogging, then you can use those plastic polish or headlight restore things.

Lens optics:

Do not sand this type down to make it clear. If this type starts turning yellow, then you can use some polish to clean that stuff off.

·
Cruisin' Colorado
91 MR2 turbo 83 RX-7
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok cool.. I'll double check what I have in the morning.

·
Registered
93 BMW 525i
395 Posts
I'm pretty sure on the 98 that the outside was smooth - no problem in sanding the outside. The ridges for the lens optics are on the inside of the lens.

I know there were a few DIY's that discussed removing the lens, so I could see that being a problem if you sand down the inside, but for the DIY I posted above, I just sanded the outside.

·
165 Posts
touringcamry said:
No, 97-99 uses lens optics, that is why you should not sand that glass.
The 2000-1 uses reflector optics which allows it to have the polycarbonate lens.
I guess I have the lens optics then, what kind of polish to you use to clean it then? Thanks.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Toothpaste works good on glass if its turning yellow. Toothpaste is a mild abrassive and easy to clean off afterwards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i went to pepboys and the had a kit that had 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 sandpaper in it a polishing cloth and some polish and it worked perfect for my 2000 camry

·
Nostalgia Member
6,609 Posts
bah, so i cant clear my lights :disappoin

·
kor-ro-ra?
97 Corolla 1.8L 5spd
3,288 Posts
You can you'll just blind everyone with you're glare....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts