Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like im leaking a bit of coolant somewhere. is there any common place they leak from? i couldnt really see much. some residue on the bottom side of the car. looks to be down about a quart in 2 weeks.

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
Check hose connection points, radiator cracks, coolant fluid reservoir.

·
I work on euros.
96 Toy Camry Sport
210 Posts
park over a sheet of cardboard overnight after getting the car good and hot. should give you an idea of where it's coming from.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it used to drip near the front passenger wheel- old condo parking lot. i thought it was just oil though. however, it looks like it was probably coolant.

the main radiator hoses looked ok. the engine bay is so cramped in this car that im not even sure where all the coolant hoses run to. im guessing its somewhere right around the resevoir or atleast near it.

i was gonna change my valve cover gaskets last night, till i realized what an undertaking it was. maybe ill do it this weekend and see if i can spot the leak then.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alotawatts said:
That would be water pump territory !
uh oh!

isnt there some kind of light you can use to make it glow? maybe a black light?

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
yet another f-body owner drives a camry winter car...i got a 96 camaro (sorry off subject, good luck w the coolant)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it keeps leaking out the overflow resevoir almost instantly. it never overheats though. makes me think its a hose at the bottom of the resevoir and nothing something major. thoughts? if it were leaking frorm the water pump it would leak out pretty quickly and overheat. if its just the overflow, then its keeping coolant within the engine somehow.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
The water pump has a weep hole that leaks slowly (drip) as the bearing seal wears out. It gets worse when the seal fails.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i brought it in for some repairs.

new water pump, new timing chain, cam seals, etc.

total cost was 625, including toyota parts.

225 for parts, so about 80 dollars an hour labor (said 5 hours)

he said he was the pump that was leaking. i hope it was. with 209K miles on the clock i figured it was better to change those things anyways since I dont know when they were done last. guess ill see how she holds up. I bought some valve cover gaskets I need to get around to changing when i get some time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I took my Camry in today. Water pump and t belt alone for over $600. New cam seals would have been another $200. I passed on that.

·
MDT Toyota Tech
413 Posts
$200 for seals thats a rip off, the seals only cost like $5-10 each plus you have all the hard work done when the belts off already

·
Registered
145 Posts
Exactly. They (the dealer) thought it would be a good idea, since they were in there to replace the seals. At an extra $200, I thought it was a better idea to let them alone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i heard the cam seals are a bit of a pain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts