Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· No Mod can stop me
2007 Toyota Camry SE
559 Posts
I've noticed that for particular cars sometimes different brands of
Air Filters fit better. I have an 2002 Camry 4 Cylinder. What Air
Filter would people suggest getting that fits well?

Thanks
Are you talking about it actually fitting or the performance aspect of an air filter?

Either case you can stick with the crappy paper element of go with a TRD or K&N drop in for the maximum performance. And yes they will both "fit" very well.

· Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,129 Posts
i use a TRD reusable air filter in my car
but OEM always is good...and the K&N is pretty much the same shit as the TRD, so you cant go wrong with all three
just be sure to clean the TRD or K&N and replace your oem every 15k

· 480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,754 Posts
Any truth to the myth that the oils used in cleaning the K&N (charge kit) could actually hurt the car?
Oils can accumulate on the MAF wires on some cars. Usually if the air sucks upwards through the filter it doesn't cause a problem because it's difficult to suck the oil upward. My Formula actually sucks the air down through filter which allows oil to go downward and into the air intake tract. I'm sure to clean the MAF about twice a year because of that problem.

For most vehicles, it really isn't a concern.

EDIT: TRD and K&N filters need to be cleaned much less than regular air filters need to be replaced. I have yet to clean and re-oil my TRD filter after nearly 30,000 miles, and it still doesn't need to be cleaned. I did bang off the large debris when I checked it in the fall though. They can hold much more dirt than a standard air filter without a reduction in air flow. They actually filter better when they're a little dirty also. Oil will wick onto any captured contaminants, which allows them to catch even more.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm actually talking about fit, but I would also be good to know which one works better. I'd rather not have to spend money on OEM Toyota Air Filter or a K&N. I view them as a ripoff and have been told spending that much for an Air Filter won't gain you much in the way of performance. What regular type of Air Filter would be people suggest?

06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,754 Posts
I'm actually talking about fit, but I would also be good to know which one works better. I'd rather not have to spend money on OEM Toyota Air Filter or a K&N. I view them as a ripoff and have been told spending that much for an Air Filter won't gain you much in the way of performance. What regular type of Air Filter would be people suggest?
I recommend a TRD or K&N. If you want a regular filter, get a Toyota.

You say that you're talking about fit, then you say you don't want to spend the money, and then you talk about performance.

What do you really want? You can't have everything, and you get what you pay for. It appears as if you're one of the people that have been brain washed into believing that factory parts are a ripoff. I use OEM products so I know that they will function properly. The slight extra cost is offset by the benefit of having properly engineered parts.

Here's another point that seems to get some people mad. If an air filter is too expensive for you, have you considered that the car you purchased is actually out of your budget? Maybe a Corolla would fit your needs better and allow you to purchase the proper maintenance items without such a financial burden.

· Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,125 Posts
Barf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,754 Posts
You have to use oil to clean the K&N? I thought it was water wash LoL!
You don't use oil to clean it. There is a soap solution you coat it with and then you rinse out the dirt and debris. After it dries you re-apply the oil to the filter. There are kits that you buy that contain the solution and the oil. K&N calls them filter recharger kits. I can't recall what TRD calls them. The TRD kits are quite a bit more expensive than the K&N kits.

· Registered
Camry
6,933 Posts
Here's another point that seems to get some people mad. If an air filter is too expensive for you, have you considered that the car you purchased is actually out of your budget? Maybe a Corolla would fit your needs better and allow you to purchase the proper maintenance items without such a financial burden.
Aren't air filters all about the same price? (As far as stock ones go.)

06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,754 Posts
Aren't air filters all about the same price? (As far as stock ones go.)
OEM filters cost a little bit more.

I've NEVER seen an OEM air filter collapse and get sucked into the air intake tract. I've also never seen an OEM cone filter loose the rubber/plastic end plug. I've never seen an OEM filter deform and allow debris/dust/dirt get into the air intake tract and sometimes cause a MAF malfunction (failure or false reading from contaminants on the elements).

I HAVE ONLY seen those things happen with cheap aftermarket air filters.

To me, a few extra dollars spent every year or so greatly outways the slim chance of a simple air filter failure causing a much larger/expensive concern.

· Registered
Camry
6,933 Posts
OEM filters cost a little bit more.

I've NEVER seen an OEM air filter collapse and get sucked into the air intake tract. I've also never seen an OEM cone filter loose the rubber/plastic end plug. I've never seen an OEM filter deform and allow debris/dust/dirt get into the air intake tract and sometimes cause a MAF malfunction (failure or false reading from contaminants on the elements).

I HAVE ONLY seen those things happen with cheap aftermarket air filters.

To me, a few extra dollars spent every year or so greatly outways the slim chance of a simple air filter failure causing a much larger/expensive concern.
I meant between, say, a Camry, Yaris, and Corolla.

06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,754 Posts
I meant between, say, a Camry, Yaris, and Corolla.
They are usually about the same. But a cheaper car which would easily free up money for maintenance items.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Obviously there isn't going to be that much difference in the Maintenance between a Camry vs. a Corolla! Maybe between a Camry vs. Landcruiser or Lexus.

The thing is with all the other cost associated with cars and car maintenance it can be difficult for some people. I know a lot of people who complain about their cars but don't take care of them. That's unreasonable! If I wanted to I could spend money on a higher quality filter. The thing is if you took it into a shop they'll give you the cheapest Air Filter or whatever and charge you a lot. That's why doing your own work is satisfying! I figure it's better get something a little bit higher quality, but not always assume the most expensive is the best. Toyota can't be making all of their own Filters! So what name-brand Air Filter can I get from the local AutoParts Store that is decent?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.