Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 V6 LE, 60k miles (really)

The suspension is clicking and popping a lot, ride is a little bouncier than it should be. I will replace the entire strut tower, all four corners, except not the coil springs.

My question is, for the following I checked parts on all four corners and these seem fine (they look OK, no damaged rubber, and with a pry bar I don't notice and play in the joints etc), do people replace preventively?
- sway bar end links
- sway bar bushing
- control arm bushings
- control arm ball joint

would appreciate opinions ...

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
The 97-99 Camrys had lot's of problems with the upper strut mounts causing clunking noises when going over bumps. The only cure was to replace the upper strut mounts. When my 98 had clunking noises form the rear at 100,000 miles, I replaced both rear strut assemblies with the Monroe Quik Struts as a shot gun approach. It cured the clunking. Can't say how long they lasted since the car was totaled 6 weeks later.

As to your question about the other suspension components, I would leave them alone as long as they checked out fine. Any part of the car can be replaced preventively, but that's not a very cost effective way to go about things, IMHO.

Mike

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
I agree with Mike Gerber. First of all, chances are you problem is in the strut mounts as he stated. Second, the control arm bushings are in the control arm so you'd have to replace the arms, not something I reccomend as a prevenatative thing as well as the sway bar links. Now, the sway bar bushings themsleves, you have to check those and see, but my 96 had about 150K and didn't need any of that stuff, and I work at the dealer were it would be a bit more easily for me to have it done.

IMHO, I'd start with the strut mounts and go from there, you may not even need struts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read a lot about the clunking and the front strut mounts, do the rear strut mounts have similar issues?

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Yes, but not as common. In other words, It wouldn't/doesn't surprise me, but it is on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
Gen 4.5 Camry 5sFE
22 Posts
I have 185k miles on my 2001 Camry CE 4 cylinder. Just replaced last week 2 lower control arm bushings on the front and 2 front stabilizer links on the front. First time I needed to address both items.

I had to replace the sway bar bushings all around at about 100k.

Feels smoother/quiet now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts