Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
96 Avalon
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there

simple question which brake pads do you feel work best ?
pretty sure i need ceramic...196,000 going to look at new rotors ..
what do you toyota nation friends think?:thumbsup:

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
What are you using them for? Daily driving? Track duty?

What do you want most of your pads? Quiet? Long life? Good initial bite? Fade resistance?

Please be more specific. There is no one best brake pad out there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I asked the same question a few weeks ago. I was all set to buy the OEM pads and rotors, but we just couldn't afford it. I went to a local parts dealer and bought the mid grade rotors and some Evolution pads which are a ceramic pad. So far they work great, no complaints. Found out I had a frozen caliper pin. After lubing all the pins and changing out the four sets of pads and rotors, the car stops great!

You are going to find everyone has a different opinion.

Personally I would choose either the evolution pads like I did, Bendix either CT3 or the semi-metallic, or OEM's.

Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Avalon
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about wagner pads? right now they have the Edge ones
and are offering a rebate..hold on wait..hmm rebate=cheap=
bad experience with "Bosch" crap a laugh plugs=rebate..

Anyone have a opinion on Wagner products..great head lights at one time..but brake pads?

I guess maybe semi-metallic is better then ceramic?

thanks for additional imput

Skully

·
Registered
635 Posts
hi there

simple question which brake pads do you feel work best ?
pretty sure i need ceramic...196,000 going to look at new rotors ..
what do you toyota nation friends think?:thumbsup:
Toyota OEM. Toyota OEM. Toyota OEM. Toyota OEM. Toyota OEM.

I am amazed at the incessant search for a better aftermarket brake pad. I have been driving Toyota/Lexus vehicles for 37 years. On a few occasions I experimented with premium aftermarket pads. None of them were as good as factory. Some would dust more, some would leave deposits on the rotor, some were noisy. I can not say this strongly enough, there is not a better pad out there than Toyota OEM when you consider life, noise, dust and stopping power. And, they don't cost any more and sometimes less than the fancy aftermarket jobs.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,630 Posts

I am amazed at the incessant search for a better aftermarket brake pad. I have been driving Toyota/Lexus vehicles for 37 years. On a few occasions I experimented with premium aftermarket pads. None of them were as good as factory. Some would dust more, some would leave deposits on the rotor, some were noisy. I can not say this strongly enough, there is not a better pad out there than Toyota OEM when you consider life, noise, dust and stopping power. And, they don't cost any more and sometimes less than the fancy aftermarket jobs.
But you're taking away the fun of the hunt. And buying OEM is what grandfather's do...boring.

But if reliable braking performance, with no dust, is what you're looking for, I'd stay with OEM Toyota. Same on my wife's Odyssey...OEM.

Reactions: Skully4

·
Registered
96 Avalon
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So then I have to go to the toyota dealer and pay $$$$$?
I am sure oem pads can be found like at Orielys or Autozone?
cheers

·
1,630 Posts
So then I have to go to the toyota dealer and pay $$$$$?
I am sure oem pads can be found like at Orielys or Autozone?
cheers
Forgive my reality based response -- I enjoy confusing people with real facts, not just prejudices.

I recently purchased OE front pads for my '03 Avalon from [email protected]. The price was $37.09. They were an add-on to a special order for my son's car, but let me allocate half the $10 S&H to these pads, or $5. That makes the total delivered to my door $42.09.

I'm looking at the Advance web site. They're only a 10 minute drive. AZ is 20 min each way, so I don't even consider them. Advance wants $42.99 for the cheapest ceramic front pads for my vehicle. Plus tax. Plus the cost to drive there, which I'll lowball at half a gallon of gas, or $1.50 Plus a half hour of my time.

So, the Wearever pads would cost 42.99 + 3.24 tax + 1.50 gas= $47.73(+30m minutes) to my door.

My math tells me the OE is cheaper. And then there's quality....................

·
Registered
635 Posts
Forgive my reality based response -- I enjoy confusing people with real facts, not just prejudices.

I recently purchased OE front pads for my '03 Avalon from [email protected]. The price was $37.09. They were an add-on to a special order for my son's car, but let me allocate half the $10 S&H to these pads, or $5. That makes the total delivered to my door $42.09.

I'm looking at the Advance web site. They're only a 10 minute drive. AZ is 20 min each way, so I don't even consider them. Advance wants $42.99 for the cheapest ceramic front pads for my vehicle. Plus tax. Plus the cost to drive there, which I'll lowball at half a gallon of gas, or $1.50 Plus a half hour of my time.

So, the Wearever pads would cost 42.99 + 3.24 tax + 1.50 gas= $47.73(+30m minutes) to my door.

My math tells me the OE is cheaper. And then there's quality....................
I have done this calulation myself many times and have posted the results on other forums. Usually there are a couple folks who agree but the vast majority can't understand why I want to pay a fortune for Toyota pads when I can go to Pepboys, the Zone, etc, etc. Oh well, folks can do what they want. Good-luck to all.

·
Registered
96 Avalon
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Ted...ceramic is best then right as to the original rotors?

I just want what is best for my car.I think the rotors are decent.
yet at some braking there is a slight shuddering.

I have nothing against oem or staying with toyota parts.
there is a limit though on cost as to other necessities we have to make allowances for and this we all understand.

That price range seems reasonable. I just felt the wagners might be decent
bendix...sounds oem ..have a great day

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
734 Posts

X2! Speaking from vast experience.

·
Registered
95.5 Tacoma
261 Posts
You buy a Toyota so you can genuine Toyota components.. nuff said

·
1,630 Posts
To be fair, my local Toy dealers charge 130-150% of MSRP for most parts, so the walk-in price for OE would be significantly higher. And if I were the type to not pay attention to my brakes until I hear the metal on metal, I might not be able to wait a few days for parts to arrive. But with a little planning and paying attention, I can have the quality parts when I need them, at good prices.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
What about wagner pads? right now they have the Edge ones
and are offering a rebate..hold on wait..hmm rebate=cheap=
bad experience with "Bosch" crap a laugh plugs=rebate..

Anyone have a opinion on Wagner products..great head lights at one time..but brake pads?

I guess maybe semi-metallic is better then ceramic?

thanks for additional imput

Skully

Wagner makes good quality brake pads, they are also a supplier to a lot of OEMs.

I have Thermoquiets myself on my daily driver. Great pads, low dust and good initial bite. Very quiet.

·
1,630 Posts
Ceramic is the top of the line material in lines aimed at street/highway driving. (In addition to excellent braking performance, they don't leave significant dust on wheels, and are near noiseless.) I don't know about any specialized (e.g., racing) applications. OEM for my '03 is ceramic. Not sure how far back in time that's true, but suspect Toyota has upgraded the spec for cars that originally came with other than ceramic.

·
Registered
Black 95 Avalon XLS
302 Posts
I'd assume all avy's came with ceramic since they were stock on my 95. A year or 2 ago, I switched to wagner thermoquiet pads, and they've been working out fine since then. At the time I wasn't coming here often, or I probably would've gone with OEM. I was tempted to buy a set of EBC red stuff at the time, but was talked out of it at Oreilly.

·
Registered
96 Avalon
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ordered a set of thermoquiet

Hey Guys thanks a lot

I appreciate each response I found a awesome price
at rock auto and I even get 30.00 back I asked around here
and even local and was told wagner thermoquiets are great.

So Rock Auto is shipping them Monday

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
10 Posts
i ordered some crap pads from rockauto since i wanted to try out for my daily. they started to fad and stunk within 2500 miles. time for a change.

-vince

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've never had any issues buying aftermarket brake pads as long as I stuck with a supplier that makes OEM, like Bendix, Raybestos or Wagner(Federal Mogul.) Ceramic is the way to go on passenger applications. Racing is whole 'nother story. If I could get the stock OEM pads as cheap, I'd do it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts