Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously, I was thinking of going with an 89-95 toyota pickup. Its got the 22re, the manual transmission, independent front suspension, timing chain and rear wheel drive.

But I'm now starting to think that I may get more mileage out of a car such as a corolla, accord, or civic.

I've heard the 03' Accord has had some issues, which is a bummer because it has independent front suspension and a timing chain.

I'm left to wonder whats going to be the most economical vehicle. On the Toyota Pickup, if stuff breaks, it can be repaired without too much money, however, on an automatic transmission car, if something breaks it is expensive, right? Yet again, on the Toyota Pickup, its going to require a lot more gas than the Toyota Corolla, which may offset the repair costs.

Scotty kilmer recently posted a video saying the 2003-2007 Corolla was the best car to buy and could be bought for as little as $1,000USD

Is this true? I'm wondering about the automatic transmissions of these vehicles. Is the Toyota Corolla going to be more reliable than the Honda Civic's transmission/engine and be overall cheaper to up keep?

Also, what are the differences between the '03-'07 Corolla and the previous generations automatic transmission and engine? - This is a big expenditure for me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems to more the Corolla is more reliable than Civic or accord

Can someone explain the technical details as to why this is?

Which Corolla year is best and can someone explain the technical details as to why?

Im looking to buy a used car for around $1500-$2000USD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im looking for a car with an automatic transmission.

Which car will get me down the road the furthest and why?

Are there problem years of Corolla?

Looking for something economical and easy to repair and reliable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe a truck would be the better option since they are easier to fix, correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is a truck going to be significant cheaper to fix than a car with an automatic transmission, say something catastrophic breaks?

Talking a 2wd truck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that the consensus?

To remove the transmission in a car with an automatic, doesn't everything have to come out?

I am torn between models.

·
8,091 Posts
Look, THERE ARE NO GOOD CARS within your budget. Good MODERN cars. You get pile of junk sugarcoated for sale.
Unless you go with one of them I posted. I drove 2003 LeSabre FWY only and we made over 700 miles. Is that far enough for a tank?
All those olden cars are easy to repair, as everything is in wide open.
Trucks only look easy to repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well which car is most reliable? For around 2k I can get a car with 150k miles on it

The truck may be easier to fix but it takes more gas?

Im really so confused, I don't like the tone of this conversation, at all

It's common sense that some cars are more reliable than others, just not which ones, which is why im coming to this forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's an example of what im thinking

89-95 pickup , 22re which is a good reliable 4 cylinder motor -- that makes it more reliable. It's got independent front suspension, rear wheel drive, and a timing chain, adding to it's reliability and handling. I can't find another vehicle like this with these characteristics -- and yet, it seems if anything on it at all breaks it won't be more than around $1,000USD to fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll probably go with the truck, though something tells me if I want to commute to LA from San Diego and back that a car with an automatic transmission and around $150k would do it better than the truck.

Maybe the truck Is just more rugged, adding to that feeling

1 - 16 of 16 Posts