Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which engine would you rather tune to create the best auto-x/drift car? and why?

1) 1.8L 1MZ-FE w/ VVTL-i (corollla tune - 170hp 127ft/lbs)
2) 2.4L (Engine Code?) (rav4 tune - 161hp 165ft/lbs)
3) 2.7L 3RZ-FE w/VVT-i (05 Tacoma tune - 164hp 183ft/lbs)

All of these will be mated to a manual transmission and RWD, and forced induction is a possibility.

thanks;
Jeff

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Asking for "Knowledgeable Answers Only" and yet you only have a single engine code correct, and one set of power figures...

1) Are you talking about the 1.8L 7A-FE in the corolla? The 1mz-fe is the V6 on the Camry based cars. 7A-FE has 130hp, 125lb-ft.
2) 2RZ-FE is the 2.4L found in the truck/suv line
3) The Tacoma 3RZ-FE (99+) has 142hp, 160lb-ft

I would tune one of the RZ block engines.

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my codes ARE right, taken right out of the manuals the tacoma 3rz-fe that you speak of does NOT have VVTi which the one i am talking about DOES...notice the 05 and the 2.4L is found in the camry and the rav4 and the 04- 4x2 tacomas which is why i specified that it was the one from the rav because i could not remember the code.

and the next time you decide to insult someones intelegence make sure you have YOUR facts straight....idiot

·
X Avalon
316 Posts
just to let u know 1mz-fe will never a 1.8 Liter...

it IS a 3.0 Liter

·
Immortal
332 Posts
2ZZGE hands down. The other engines don't have any top-end power...

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
2zz (Lotus Elise!!!) would be one of the better engines. There is some chance for some real power.

I'm wondering how your going to tune it for drift and for auto-x. Drifting you tend to want your gear ratios really close together. Auto-x you want them spread out. You need the power out of each gear.

Auto-X = Lover and praise your (expensive) tires
Drifting = Shred your tires

And your going to have to have a majorly adjustable suspension set-up to do both. Because there is a huge difference in the build. That's going to be one big bitch dude.

·
Immortal
332 Posts
Mikey21 said:
Pardon my ignorance but why a I4???

Why not a torquey V6? Is it because it requires running at a higher RPM range?
I don't know about you... but when I race... it's not at 3000 rpms...

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
Kwanza said:
I don't know about you... but when I race... it's not at 3000 rpms...
You might not race at 3,000rpm but you'll probably be looking at the chrome exhaust tip of the V6 as it's pulling away from you. Unless of course you're not normally aspirated or on the gas. :D

·
Immortal
332 Posts
Mikey21 said:
You might not race at 3,000rpm but you'll probably be looking at the chrome exhaust tip of the V6 as it's pulling away from you. Unless of course you're not normally aspirated or on the gas. :D
heheh... hardly. It's more about power location in track racing than all out power.

And a correction for the original post...
1.8L VVTL-i is the 2ZZGE... 1MZFE is a 3.0L V6...
2.4 Liter out of the RAV4 is the 2AZFE
2.7 liter 3RZFE is correct. It's a bored/stroked version of the 2RZFE at 2.4 liters which is rated at 140 some odd hp.

·
^
4,197 Posts
I'm not sure that I would choose any of those engines for AutoX and drifting. If I did it would probably be the 2ZZ, but i'm not sure which tranny you'd use unless it was gonna be MR. For AutoX, you probably don't want a turbo'd engine. For drifting you'd want a good amount of torque, which the 2ZZ doesn't have. Sombody is gonna say "well the 4AG doesn't have much either but AE86's are sick drift cars" but that car is more about chassis and balance.

I'd like to know which car you plan on dropping it into. A good all round engine would be a later gen 3SGE.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
I would not chose from that linup. I would either go the 4AGZE route or the 3SGTE route. If going for the 4AG make sure it is a 4AGZE. This model has the 20 valve head as opposed to the 16 valve 4AGE. It can be found in the AE 92 Corollas. I am not sure but it might have also been in the 1st gen MR2. Go to:

http://www.japimports.com.au

They have one in stock. It is going for $2400 AUD. Which is $2200 CAD. They will probably charge another $1800-$1900 CAD for shipping. They will ship to your nearest international airport. Check your customs laws first. I am not familiar with Canada's customs regulations. I had to research US customs laws for a few weeks before I had my 1JZ sent to Texas. If you don't want to go that route then you should be able to find a 3SGTE in a late 90's MR2. Make sure it is a 3SGTE and not the 3SGE. The T in the code is for the turbo model. It should be easy to find one, and there are plenty of tuners working with this engine, so parts and service shouldn't be a problem. You did not mention what kind of car it will go in. The 4AGZE is an easy swap as it will fit most early Corolas, and it is already layed out for front engine rear drive. The 3SGTE in the MR2 is a transverse midengine layout so a compatible transmission/bellhousing will have to be found. Also custom motor mounts will have to be found. For auto cross I would go with the 3SGTE still mounted in the Cellica All Trac it came in. The AWD should prove to be an advantage in autocross. Good luck finding one. For drift there is no question. An AE 86 with the 4AGZE. Drift is all about show. The little Corolla that could has a deffinate old school cool about it, and along with its light weight and balance make it one of the best drift machines out there. Supposedly an 86 is the best to learn in. It would also make a decent autocross car as it is light and nimble. Their just plain fun.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
He wants to drop it into an early 80's Supra....

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
Deep said:
Silvertop 20V 4AGE
Fuck yeah, the Silvertop 20v with independant throttle-bodies linked with a C60 (6-speed transmission), in a light-weight car would be fun as hell!

I also think that the 4A-GZE would make a good choice.

The 4A is a strong little engine.

I say do a V6 twin-turbo set-up if your going with a large/heavy car, or just want to make something insane. :p:

·
nice guy
191 Posts
The real question here is...how are you going to make your car into an auto x AND a drift car.

Also...what cars are you considering?

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
Its not hard to set up for auto cross and drift. One of the Corolla GTS models (AE 86 or AE 92) should do it. With a good suspension system that allows caster and camber adjstments all you have to do is change your set up to suit your driving style.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts