Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which fuses will be hot when car or accessories is turned on, regardless of whether the combustion engine is running or not? And will go cold when car is off. I'd like to wire a dashcam.

model year 2007

Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 TCH
710 Posts
Which fuses will be hot when car or accessories is turned on, regardless of whether the combustion engine is running or not? And will go cold when car is off. I'd like to wire a dashcam.

model year 2007

Thanks.
Why would you mess with tapping a fuse? Only reason I can think, is that you want the dash cam to run while the car is off. Just plug it into the forward cigarette lighter in the forward part of the console.

I installed a "capacitor style" dash cam years ago and ran the wire across the top of the windshield on the passengers side, then behind the passengers a-pillar air bag and down and behind the glove box. There is a "knock out" plug you can run the wire through on the passengers side of the console, but I chose to run the wire behind it so it's hidden.

·
Registered
2008 Camry Hybrid
75 Posts
Why would you mess with tapping a fuse? Only reason I can think, is that you want the dash cam to run while the car is off. Just plug it into the forward cigarette lighter in the forward part of the console.
Maybe the OP has other stuff that needs to be plugged into that port? Phone charger, etc? I know there is a second one in the arm rest, but that one is a pain to use for charging a phone in my experience (the newer phones are getting rather long and hardly fit if you have anything else stored in the arm rest).

·
Registered
40 Posts

model year 2007

Thanks.
I'm not familiar with fuses in a 2007 Camry, but in my '12 I used the fuse which powers the cigarette jack for the cold off connection with my dash camera. Simply picked it based on the fuse box diagram in the owners manual. It is after all the very same power source & fuse the camera would use if it were connected to the cigarette jack directly. The hot fuse choices were more limited in my Camry since I did not want to use any important fuses, i.e.: SRS, locks, computer stuff. Mine had a "hot" fuse for a power roof, a feature my car does not have. So I would use something like that, or else run the power wire directly to the battery.

·
2013 Corolla S
2,790 Posts
My wife's sub trigger wire is wired to a fuse tap on the wiper fuse. It turns on and off with the car and when in the "ON" position that may be like what you looking to do with the dash cam.

If you want it on all the time and set to record with a bump (G-Force) you will have to find fuse circuit live all the time.

Either way you want it, the dash cam will draw so little power any circuit should work.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Didn't really see the answer I was looking for in this thread. The reason I want to select a fuse tap is for a clean look that works satisfactorily. If I can figure out which fuse to use, I will post the number and get back with you. Will be installing my dash cam VIOFO A119s today, hopefully. I have the older model in my Ridgeline and it works fantastic.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Checked out the situation today and the fuse box under the driver's side console is not deep enough to accept a fuse-tap. I have to take the Camry in to the dealer on Tuesday to get the Overhead Console replaced under warranty. After I get that done, I will probably just splice into one of those wires for constant power to the dash cam.

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
Well, center console, where that receptacle is, is very easy to get to. It all simply pops out and you have access to receptacle plug. Then you can "splice" into it all you want to. You are overthinking this. Then you can run donor wire inside the dash to say pillar A and up to the dash.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I performed surgery on my Camry Hybrid today and installed the dashcam I have been talking about for a few months.

It may have been just as easy to plug into the 12v outlet in the center console as suggested by Ukrkoz, but I opted to "tap" into the wire feeding the 12v outlet in the center console at the passenger side kick panel. I used this spot previously to access the "reverse wire," when I installed a Toyota OEM navigation unit on my 2012 Tundra.

I mounted the dashcam near the top of the window just into the black dotted portion. Then I ran the cable along the front of the headliner (cable not tucked into the headliner yet in picture). Next, it went down the A-pillar and into the passenger side kick panel (had to remove plastic cover from side of dash and pull off rubber molding in that section). I removed the center console because I was originally going to "tap" into the 12v wire there. The 12v wire color is "red w/gray striping." I found that wire in the kick panel to "tap" into. There was a nice silver bolt nearby to get the ground.

The most difficult part of the procedure was getting the cover off the kick panel. Those white clips will not release, so you have to maneuver the cover around until it pops off the clips.

Everything is working nicely now with adequate power to run the dashcam. I purchased the VIOFO A119s. It has a great picture and seems to work in daylight and at night. It's not a very expensive camera but does the job.

Attachments

·
2013 Corolla S
2,790 Posts
Power seats is usually hot all the time

1 - 17 of 17 Posts