Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Mental Midget
1998 T100
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Live in an area with alot of roads with non reflective lines, if they aren't already snow covered, and woods filled with deer so I'm looking to replace my pale yellows with the brightest yet still legal white/blue bulbs and wondered if anyone had an opinion or experience with this. I have looked at the sylvania silverstar 9003's, japanese supposed hid h4's and also Sylvania XtraVision 9006's. Unfortunately I have no way of testing any and I don't even know if I need 1 bulb with two wattages for hi and low beams or if I need 2 separate lamps. Any info or opinions appreciated.

My vehicle is a 98 4x4 xtra cab dx but I doubt that matters.

1998 T100 SR5 2WD
15,011 Posts
I didn't like the color of the Silverstars and went with the xtravison. Have you though of adding some extra driving lights as well? Are yer truck's lenses clear? If not, they are easy to polish out and you will light the road up much better. ;)

· Mental Midget
1998 T100
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i take it that there are driving bulbs and hi beam bulbs. Is it possible to use a dual 50/100w bulb or would it need to be re wired? My lenses are clear but my bulbs are 10 years old and yellow. Driving lights are what I need since I dont use brights much. I take it I am looking at the wrong kind of bulbs with the 9006 xtravisions. So I guess my new question is where do I find some nice bright driving lights or low beam bulbs

1998 T100 SR5 2WD
15,011 Posts
Each headlight has only one bulb...it's a does both high and low beam. Just git some nice big auxillary lights that you can bolt up to yer bumper. Check yer local laws to make sure it's legal fer driving. ;)

Fer anyone who has yellow headlights, you can get some plastic polish from Autozone and a buffer wheel fer yer drill you can polish that yellow right out of yer headlamp in no time at all. Just make sure you don't burn/melt the plastic by keeping the speed down on the drill. Start out slow and build up yer speed...make sure you keep the polish wet. You will be happy with the results. Or you could replace those headlight assemblies fer about $300 or so. Yer choice.

I've been doing my headlights once a month. After the first time, it's a whole lot easier to hit them with the polish and buffing pad fer a minute per headlight. Keeps the light on the road... :D

· Mental Midget
1998 T100
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ok that helps alot. My covers are pretty dirty and I alos picked up some 1500 and 2200 grit wetsand paper . Im looking at hid kits since adding more lights is not something I want to do just improve my regular ones. The only problem is all the different kinds and promises. There is a 9003su for ultra night vision $45, an hid kit with an additional ballast and has 4300k or 6000k output at 3100 lumens for $90, quite impressed if that number is real. And then the other numerous choices and supposed benefits...sigh

1998 T100 SR5 2WD
15,011 Posts
Just be careful with the bulbs you use to replace them with. Some are meant only fer off roading and not fer road/traffic use. That's why they make driving lights... ;)

· Registered
1998 Toyota T100 xcb
18 Posts
Good point. Technically my new hyper bulbs are for off road use as they are just above street wattage specs. I live out in the middle of nowhere and so can get away with this but it may be different for those living in a more urban setting. Also, "hotter" bulbs have thinner filaments so may not last as long, especially if you drive alot of wash board roads or similar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.