Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Highlander
674 Posts
Hi tnt4, Welcome.
2003 V6 AWD 343k miles original owner.
I've not seen that designation before (4Wi) I assume you have a Highlander with all wheel drive (AWD).
Tire chains?
Wadda ya skidding logs out of the woods? Hehe.
The HL AWD is a pretty good vehicle in snow/ice on it's own. I've never been stuck myself. (Knock on wood.)
I use BF Goodrich KSI winter tires with good results. I live-commute in the snow belt of Michigan.
I'd say just get yourself some good winter specific tires. (With studs if your area allows.)
If you do try chains, let us know how it goes.
Front or back? I think maybe you might be the first to find out. Good luck, Haya....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
out here in Oregon chains are required in specific areas. guess I'll try the front for starters.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Consult the owner’s manual. The 4WD-i is a hybrid. Try asking your question on the hybrid forum. The Highlander is fundamentally FWD. The owner’s manual for the gas car tells you not to put chains on the back, I assume because they did not design in enough clearance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
out here in Oregon chains are required in specific areas. guess I'll try the front for starters.
Generally if you have awd or 4wd, you can get by with all season or snow tires. The chain control cop will believe the emblems and have a look at your tires. If you want to chain up, one set of cable chains will do, put them on the front tires. Get your chains at Les Schwab or Walmart, if you don't use them, they'll take 'em back and refund your money. I love cable chains!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts