Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 4X4 with a 3VZ V-6 and a 5-speed transmission. I was going to get a 4" suspension lift, 5.29 gears front and rear, Detroit SoftLocker in the rear, Detroit TrueTrac in the front IFS, running 33" tires. This truck will need to be a Daily-Driver with occasional weekend use that will see mud.

But now I'm going to be going solid in the front. I will still be getting everything else listed above, but I need to know which locker to get for the front, as the size of the front diff will now be different. I was told the front diff will fit the same locker I have for my rear diff, so is it okay to run the same SoftLocker?

Which locker should I run in the front? Another Detroit SoftLocker, a Detroit TrueTrack, or a simple EZ-Locker? (ARB is out of the question.) I need to hear experienced opinions and comparisons of the three in a front solid axle.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
I know you said it was out of the question, but why don't you want an ARB?

If you're looking at the softlockers an ARB is only a few hundred more. Everything I've heard and read indicates they are the best way to go in the front. The front is supposed to get really hard to turn in tight situations when its locked which can require you to get out and unlock one of the hubs to get it to turn. With an ARB you just unlock it from the cab and roll.

If I wasn't going to do an ARB I's go with another softlocker in the front. The LSD's are supposed to be not a whole lot better than open diffs and they still make the truck hard to turn. Might as well lock it up.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
make sure before you buy any type of diff parts its for the 8" axle not the 7.5" ifs front. i mean go ahead if you want to waste money but i wouldnt. id go arb front and detroit in the rear. i have a rear detroit and that bitch grabbs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys do have a point. I'll keep my Detroit for the rear and get an 8" ARB for the front. subliminaltrips, I'm glad you said it grabs. I'd hate to be disappointed after it's installed.

·
Canwe fixit? YES we can.
41 Posts
Detroit Locker

You'll be happy with a Detroit Locker in the rear. I've run a Detroit Locker in the rear of my International mud truck for years. They work great, but be ready for some really scarey sounds from time to time. You'll hear clanks and clangs periodically. Fear not, that's what they do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts