Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine came from Toyota with 18" Bridgestone Turanza EL440s on them. Googling leads me to believe they were designed as a compromise between comfort and handling characteristics... I am considering swapping them out at some point to a grand touring tire built specifically for road noise, since that (and wind noise) are the main NVH that I hear at highway speeds.

Did Toyota spec out multiple different tires for the 2019 Avalon? what were your experiences?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
After driving roughly 9,500 miles in the year since we bought the Avalon, in all 4 seasons, including snow/ice/rain and some very hot days, I've discovered the Bridgestone Turanza's are just OK. They are an all around compromise. OK in all conditions, but excel in nothing. For a manufacturer to spec this tire, is probably the least offensive tire out there for the largest amount of customers. I'm definitely going for a more quiet ride and am willing to sacrifice some handling capability as I've certainly not needed any more than what we currently have, and I do find myself enjoying the quiet more than I thought I would, especially on those road trips.

It'll be interesting to see what is available in 235/45/18 in another year or so.

·
Avalon Owner
185 Posts
My 2019 Limited (built in July 2018) came with Hankook Kinergy GT tires, which are rated on Tire Rack at the bottom of Grand Touring tires. I've found them to be very noisy and they do not seem to have a lot of traction on wet roads. I didn't get a chance to drive them in the snow last year (probably a good thing). I've got over 11,000 miles on them now and they show very little wear, but I'm not happy with the way they handle and sound, and how they cause the rear-end to side step (even at low speeds) when they roll over a manhole cover on a curve. I've never had that happen with any newer vehicle I've owned.

When I replace them it will probably be with Michelin CrossClimate+ or Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Limited
5 Posts
My 2019 Avalon Limited (built and bought in Aug 2019) came with Bridgestone Turanza EL440 tires. I drove through one rain event (not really a storm!), along with normal weather, and I knew they had to go. As of last week, my Avalon rides on Michelin CrossClimate+ tires and I'm extremely happy with them. Although I haven't driven with the Michelins through any rain or snow events yet, the ride is so much better and I trust their reviews! I only had 3,158 miles on the Bridgestones, but I wasn't about to wait until they wore out to replace them. It wasn't worth it to me to find out if I made it that long with those POS Bridgestones!
Anyone want some lightly used tires...

·
Registered
2017 Avalon Premium
450 Posts
Mine came from Toyota with 18" Bridgestone Turanza EL440s on them. Googling leads me to believe they were designed as a compromise between comfort and handling characteristics... I am considering swapping them out at some point to a grand touring tire built specifically for road noise, since that (and wind noise) are the main NVH that I hear at highway speeds.

Did Toyota spec out multiple different tires for the 2019 Avalon? what were your experiences?
I have purchased 2 different Avalon's and specify the dealer have Michelin tires on it when I pick it up and they always do, no Michelin no Avalon!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have purchased 2 different Avalon's and specify the dealer have Michelin tires on it when I pick it up and they always do, no Michelin no Avalon!
I tried to do this but the dealer I was purchasing from said they weren't able to swap out factory tires. Probably a dealer-specific thing.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I tried to do this but the dealer I was purchasing from said they weren't able to swap out factory tires. Probably a dealer-specific thing.
I experienced the same resistance. I suspect it also has to do with warranty terms, as the tire warranty is part of the warranty package for each vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2019 Limited (non-hybird) also came with the Hankook. I changed them out at about 300 miles for some new tires I bought at Les Schwab. So far I am really pleased with them.They are 235/45R18 Mazama Reputation "Luxury Touring". Plus I get excellent service from Les Schwab.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Limited
113 Posts
My Canadian V6 limited came with Hankooks. However i've been visiting dealership websites and looking at their inventory pictures and some Avalons Limiteds have Bridgestones on them. All of the XSEs i've seen have MIchelins for the 19".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts