Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I have read all the previous posts right...
(I do have a 5sfe)

To achieve the 5sgte I have to replace the head.( and of course all other turbo apps needed to run)

To get teh 5sfte I replace the exhaust manifold, add turbo, replace oil pan or drill new line, add an intercooler,... and so forth.

My question is who has done the 5sfte with success? Is it worth adding the turbo without replacing the head? Besides the added time of messing with the head installation and troubleshooting it into the right compression again.

I want to Upgrade to a turbo set-up but I can't really decide which way to go.

·
Registered
234 Posts
ha it has been a while since i have last visited this sight but here is my two cents anyways. i have heard that the head is a direct bolt on but the valve angles are different in ways that it will hit the top of the head...also you hvae to consider the strenght of you engine when doing a turbo set up...i have 162k on my 5sfe and i myself wouldny really want to risk puttin on a turbo. but if everything works out for you i would have to say that it would be better to put on the gte head just becuase it was meant for performance purposes as the 5sfe was not.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
celica kid said:
also you hvae to consider the strenght of you engine when doing a turbo set up...i have 162k on my 5sfe and i myself wouldny really want to risk puttin on a turbo. but if everything works out for you i would have to say that it would be better to put on the gte head just becuase it was meant for performance purposes as the 5sfe was not.
The motor was replaced by previous owner 40k miles ago.

:thumbup:

I've done simple pressure tests and so far so good. If I do got forward I will have a leak down test done first just in case.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Nop The GE head bolt on good, no valve hitting. It's been done.
You'll need the 3S-GTE ECU to work with the 5S-GTE. You get more protential with 5S-GTE due the head design.
5S-FTE is easier, you just need exhaust manifold, turbo and intake. You can add other stuff like IC and boost controller later. You can use 3S-GTE exhaust and turbo, they're bolt-on.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pineapple said:
You can use 3S-GTE exhaust and turbo, they're bolt-on.
I noticed in several previous posts, there were some conflicts on which gen to get the exhaust manifold off of to make sure it bolted on. I have a 1991 5sfe celica.

Plus, deciding on a manifold with dual port or single port.

Either way I go, does laying money down on a dual port manifold mean more air into turbo than a single port?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
I believe it depends on the turbo you pick. Twin port turbo need twin port manifold etc.
I know 4 gen Celica 3S-GE manifold bolt on to my 1990 5S-FE.

·
Registered
446 Posts
trebor_9513 said:
I noticed in several previous posts, there were some conflicts on which gen to get the exhaust manifold off of to make sure it bolted on. I have a 1991 5sfe celica.

Plus, deciding on a manifold with dual port or single port.

Either way I go, does laying money down on a dual port manifold mean more air into turbo than a single port?
Go with 5sfte. You'd have to do some modifications to get a ge/gte head on your 5sfe. If you had a '92+ 5sfe then it'd be a different story.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anybody ever wonder what the compression is a 5SGTE? I'm thinking it'll be a little low, around 8:1. Sombody worked it out once and if I remember, the 5SGE only yielded 8.5:1 compression. This is all assuming stock pistons of course.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pineapple said:
I believe it depends on the turbo you pick. Twin port turbo need twin port manifold etc.
I know 4 gen Celica 3S-GE manifold bolt on to my 1990 5S-FE.
Do you mean a 3sgte? Bc I want the turbo app not a NA.

·
Immortal
332 Posts
The non-fitting GE head issue depends on which version of the 5S block you use. There are 2 different version, one that works, one that does not. I don't know which is which exactly...

As for doing a 5SGTE... it'll be no different than doing a complete 3SGTE swap. You MUST swap over all sensors and such on head, such as MAP or AFM, TPS, dizzy, etc. That will require a complete harness change/modification and you'll either need to run off of a 3SGTE ecu or go with a standalone. It's not a "bolt-on" sort of deal for those that like that stuff... It's not a matter of the turbo either. You can run the stock 3SGTE equipment (ct26 dual/single, ct20b) or you can go with an aftermarket set-up. If you don't know what that means... this swap is already beyond you. The other problem is the strength of the 5S block, which is not anywhere as strong as the 3SGTE block. You should do things like upgraded low-comp pistons, forged rods, bearings, etc. Easier said than done... but the one 5SGTE I know of did post some very impressive torque numbers over a similarly equipped 3SGTE.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
who has done the 5sfte set up? I want to clarify some things. :confused:
At least let me know who to pm.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really I wanted to know if any celicas has made this attempt. I see that the dream is to go all out and build from a 3sgte, but the 5sfte looks to be the middle ground before tackling a 5sgte. That is eventually what I want to be playing with.

·
Registered
443 Posts
im doing a 5s-FTE, but at the moment im taking my time (im up north so no sence going nuts with snow on its way)

the acorcding to some the 5s is stronger then the 3s, while others say the 3s is stronger then the 5s, at any rate its erelivent if you sticking to stock components of the 3sGTE turbo setup.

the 5sFTE is a good setup for your money, upto 18PSI with intercooler is the curent "safe limit" acording to some, but alot of people with this setup stick to 8Psi max, and no intercooler.

the internals will not fail you if you stay under 8Psi, (IE: your boost wont kill them, somthing else might but thats beond this argument at the moment) if you go over, just be shure to use an intercooler and you should be safe.

as for the $ to Power comparison, the 5sFTE is about 10:1 better then the 5sGTE, given the fact that it can be done with out even taking the mottor out of the car, or swaping the ECU.

the 5s-GTE requires more work for relitivly the same gains.

the FE head dose have one advantage over the GE head and thats Torque. given its desine and cam profile (econo car).

dude, do this: Get the 3sGTE exhauset Mainfold, and the 3bar map, and an adapter plate to convert to t3/t4 hybrid turbo, then get a decent t3/t4, for like 500 bucks or so, and then bolt it all up with a bost controler. run 8Psi, and behappy. you will have good power, goot Torque, a nice sounding car, and it will last you. if u need more power look into an intercooler, and some good tuning tools. and get it Tuned.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zrain said:
im doing a 5s-FTE, but at the moment im taking my time (im up north so no sence going nuts with snow on its way) ......

the 5sFTE is a good setup for your money, upto 18PSI with intercooler is the curent "safe limit" acording to some, but alot of people with this setup stick to 8Psi max, and no intercooler. ....

and get it Tuned.
bummer on the snow man:thumbdown

but, maybe the snow will break for a couple a days and you can go out on the prowl.

How far would you go in replacing the internals to keep in the "safe limit"?
I mean after replacing all the guts and switching to stronger gaskets is seems that maybe 18 psi may still be a little restrictive? lol Just a thought.

I'm pondering the 5sfte for the ability to modify while in school, married, having a good sexlife, and not working a "real" job. Free time is a rare commodity in Tennessee for me.

For those of you who have done the 5sfte, what are the most frequent problems you run into?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hows this for an idea, buy a 3SGTE and use the MAP/oil pan/lines/manifold/turbo/top mount ic on the 5SFE. When it blows, swap in the 3SGTE with all the turbo parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts