Toyota Nation Forum banner

Which REAR Sway Bar?

3618 20
I'm getting a rear sway bar for my 1999 V6 LE camry (auto) very soon. The consensus suggests the "White Line" model retains stiffness between the "race" and "street" settings on the Adjustable TRD rear sway bar. But, I've read several people have a "squeaking noise" issue with the whiteline sway bars. I don't want any extra noise/sounds after installing this RSB.

Which rear sway bar is more advantageous in terms of reliability and performance? Or perhaps they are the same and one is simply preferred for other reasons..why?

This car is my daily driver and needs to be for the next 7 years..so I have no immediate ambitions to make the ride extremely stiff for races, etc. I want it to be it more fun to drive w/out sacrificing comfort excessively. (a supercharger is in the plan too) I would appreciate help from those who are familiar with this topic. Thanks in advance. :cool:
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Grenaded piston
8,546 Posts
Either one will work. I believe the Whiteline bar is 20mm and the TRD bar is 19mm, but its also adjustable (street & track setting).

The squeaking noise comes from the swaybar bushings. If you grease (marine grade lithium grease) them up good, they won't squeak.

·
Why not?
283 Posts
so the TRD one is adjustable?

how does that work?

is it only for TRD Camry Rear Sway Bars or also for Solara Trd Sway Bar ( i know that the 99+ TRD Solara Bars also fit on 97-01 Cams)

Thanks Guys

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
991 Posts
^ or you can get the carbon impregnated black urethane bushings from energy suspension that don't squeak and do not require greasing, it really did the trick on my husband's integra RSB :)

i just grease mine with the matine grease twice a year and they only squeak when its time to grease anyways convienent huh?

the TRD RSB for the camry & solara = same exact part

Keri

·
991 Posts
^ exactly what 88LE said...in fact the TRD RSB i bought was from a guy that had it on his Solara and it fits my '99 Camry perfectly :)

hey dejacky you are in dallas too :cool: have you done any other mods to your camry? i'll have to PM you whenever we have a little "meet" around here later this summer :)

good luck,
Keri

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
444 Posts
wow...the guys at CT told me the stock wagon sawbar is thinner than the whiteline.

thats just insane then. what was toyota thinkin puttin that much weight back there with a 19- mm swaybar?

hmmm..now i need to go get one..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay,
where it the best price for these Rear Sway bars? I want it soon! :D . I'm gravitating more towards the whiteline since it's slightly thicker and read a good review here..

And btw,

carbon impregnated black urethane bushings from energy suspension that don't squeak and do not require greasing
How much are they and would they work with the TRD RSB or Whiteline RSB? :bowdown:

·
991 Posts
^ the black polyurethane bushings will work with either sway bar you choose, you just tell them at energy suspension what the mm size of the bar is and they will have the correct bushings for your application. their website is here www.energysuspension.com

as far as where to go for the RSB, if you want the whiteline bar go to http://www.ctmotorsport.com

the TRD RSB you will have google for that one...i dunno who still sells that one...i bought mine used from ebay ages ago :)

btw the TRD RSB was my 1st mod too dejacky :cool:

hope this helps,
Keri

·
permanent hiatus
876 Posts
hey i heard the gen4 sway bar will fit the gen3 as long as you use the gen3 brackets (ratko has the trd on his gen3). what about the gen5? is it the same as the gen4 (and gen3) bar?

·
permanent hiatus
876 Posts
hey uh... kind of a technical question... when it comes to rear sway bars, is it the thicker the better? ive heard people say that getting one that is too thick will give your car a higher chance of spinning out.

·
991 Posts
^ if the bar is too thick the car's tail end will want to step out during hard cornering...which can be a good thing if you know how to control it on a closed course, but on the other hand if you are on the street trying to throw the car around a corner you will spin out whether you have a thick/thicker bar or not.

i guess the point i am trying to make is, if you don't know how to control your car you can spin out whether you have a thicker RSB or not.

dejacky, you have the right part #...remember the TRD RSB fits all gen 4 camry's & solara's V6 & I4 so just keep that in mind. the RSB i got was on a solara and the fit is perfect :)

Keri

·
permanent hiatus
876 Posts
ripley's99 said:
^ if the bar is too thick the car's tail end will want to step out during hard cornering...which can be a good thing if you know how to control it on a closed course, but on the other hand if you are on the street trying to throw the car around a corner you will spin out whether you have a thick/thicker bar or not.

i guess the point i am trying to make is, if you don't know how to control your car you can spin out whether you have a thicker RSB or not.

dejacky, you have the right part #...remember the TRD RSB fits all gen 4 camry's & solara's V6 & I4 so just keep that in mind. the RSB i got was on a solara and the fit is perfect :)

Keri
cool, cool... thx. by any chance does anyone know how thick the gen3 whiteline rsb is? i know the gen4 is 21 mm.

btw gen4 swaybars fit on gen3s, all you gotta do is use gen4 brackets... and since the gen4 bar might be thicker than the 3rd gen, i might get that instead. we'll see... id actually prefer the trd one... not because its thicker, its actually 19mm... but because its trd and if i do find one it will probably be used which also means cheaper :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.