Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the shocks, struts and front boot/bumperstops on my '95 Previa. (makes a LOUD bang/clunk noise in right front when I hit a hard bump) 97,000 miles with originals now.
Can't seem to find a better deal than e-bay. My choices are KYB, Monroe or Gabriel.
Any suggestions?
Or, perhaps suggest a different place to look?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KYB is a popular choice for Japanese makes. Have you looked at TireRack online yet?
Yes, tirerack.com is slightly higher with shipping to Hawaii.
Thanks for the reply. Too many good and bad reviews for each shock brand to make sense of it all. KYB seems like a good choice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hey King Tut:
I did my struts/shocks a year ago. Toyota OE up front; KYBs in the rear. Very expensive job, but also well worth the results. It's like driving a different car. This job replaced the factory originals.
The nice thing about having the dealer do the fronts is that they will replace free any defective part for the life of the car. (Don't believe it covers normal wear.)
The KYBs in the rear do seem to ride a bit stiff, plus they raise the back up a bit (not a major problem tho). I think the OE has a nice balance with ride Q vs. handling.
One thing I found is that only Toyota, KYB and Monroe offer the front strut replacements. Don't buy the Monroe's; they have a bad rep & the labor on the job is more expensive than the struts.

C

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Corona67! Very helpful info. I'm thinking I'll go with KYB's all around. I can't afford dealer rates, plus, the Toyota dealership here on Maui is a total rip-off.
I'll have my ASE Master friend do it.

I'm also replacing the front boot/bumpstops. Is it a good idea to replace the strut mounts as well?
I have a LOUD clunk in the right front when I hit a hard bump. Anyone know if that's the strut, bumpstop or strut mount?

P.S. to Corona67,
I grew up in Oregon, (Beaverton) and all my friends used to call me King Tutt. You one of them?

·
Registered
'95 S/C (sold)
136 Posts
tutman, 'would like to know how much you paid for labor replacing all 4 struts. I'm looking at KYBs on ebay...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
itlog, I just ordered the KYB's from jdwerks on ebay myself. I also ordered front strut mounts and front rubber bump stops from shockwarehouse.com.
I would highly recomend replacing the mounts and bumpstops at same time as the front struts. Rear shocks should come with all the rubber parts needed.
I'm going to have my ASE Master Mechanic install the struts and shocks. He charges $95 an hour so, I'm going to shorten his work time by removing the glove box and lower dash on drivers side, then re-install those after he installs the new parts.
I'll let you know how much it was in a couple weeks or so when it's done.
Aloha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that possible?

I just put new munroes on the rear of mine and they're perfect. Not stiff or too soft. Plus they were almost half of the price of the kybs. $50 each CDN.
I got the full set of KYB struts and shocks for 169.00 + 59.00 shipping to Hawaii, on e-bay from jdwerks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks for the reply Corona67! Very helpful info. I'm thinking I'll go with KYB's all around. I can't afford dealer rates, plus, the Toyota dealership here on Maui is a total rip-off.
I'll have my ASE Master friend do it.

I'm also replacing the front boot/bumpstops. Is it a good idea to replace the strut mounts as well?
I have a LOUD clunk in the right front when I hit a hard bump. Anyone know if that's the strut, bumpstop or strut mount?

P.S. to Corona67,
I grew up in Oregon, (Beaverton) and all my friends used to call me King Tutt. You one of them?
'Fraid not, I'm from Corvallis, tho looking forward to moving to PDX hopefully soon.
Replacing the bumpstops is a good idea. I asked the dealer to check the mounts & they said they were OK. Time will tell on that though (I'll be a bit peeved if they go in the next few years).
Wow, $95/hr...I paid $70/hr up here.
At least UR out of the rain, right? ;)

C

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is that possible?

I just put new munroes on the rear of mine and they're perfect. Not stiff or too soft. Plus they were almost half of the price of the kybs. $50 each CDN.
Yeah, I thought it was strange. If it were 1/2" higher, it would probably be annoying, but it does do very well with a full load. I saw a short interview with a rep from KYB a few months ago on Motorweek. He said they design the struts, as aftermarket items, to allow for wear and tear in the original suspension. Maybe my suspension isn't as worn as other Previas.

Monroes are probably fine on the rear - those are pretty easy to change. It's when people spend $100s on the front they get in trouble. The Monroe struts haven't been very durable, from what I've read.

$50/each for shocks? Wow, I did Bilsteins all 'round on the Tacoma several years ago for $50US each thru Performance Products. Prices keep going up; wish my paycheck did too...

C

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
'Fraid not, I'm from Corvallis, tho looking forward to moving to PDX hopefully soon.
Replacing the bumpstops is a good idea. I asked the dealer to check the mounts & they said they were OK. Time will tell on that though (I'll be a bit peeved if they go in the next few years).
Wow, $95/hr...I paid $70/hr up here.
At least UR out of the rain, right? ;)

C
My mounts may be ok as well, but they were only $28.95 each. I figured better safe than sorry a?
How many hours did they charge you at the dealership to install front struts?

P.S. Yes, out of the rain and in the sun!

·
Registered
502 Posts
My mounts may be ok as well, but they were only $28.95 each. I figured better safe than sorry a?
How many hours did they charge you at the dealership to install front struts?

P.S. Yes, out of the rain and in the sun!
For less than $30/ea, I'd definitely say so.

Looks like just under 6 hours to do the front; about 2.5 to do the rear. I don't know why the rear took so long; I had the tops disconnected in a few minutes but the bottoms were frozen hard, which is why I took it to them. I believe they realigned the vehicle after doing the rear.

Defininitely worth the money, as it restored the great handling. As I mentioned in another thread, the Previa is the best-riding vehicle I've even owned, by far. They just don't make the suspensions like that anymore - too expensive.

Say hi to the sun for me; we only get a peek at him this week, on Thursday...:sosad:

C

1 - 15 of 15 Posts