Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I've been shopping slides for a few days now and I just can't decide. I had initially decided on Stubbs' SKO like 55Reasons has but then I stumbled on 4xInnovations' product which looks to be equally as nice and is quite a bit cheaper. However, I absolutely LOVE the CBI heavy duty rocksliders but they are EXPEN$IVE.

So...I'm wondering if anyone else out there has experience w/ 4xInnovations or CBI directly. Images would be great too!. I know that everyone is happy with Stubbs' SKO but just want to weigh my options before dropping my hard earned cash.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
I have CBI sliders and am very happy with them. The only area they may have lacked in comparison to other top-manufacturers was in hardware. They came with 4 3/8" self-tapping screws that I replaced with grade 8 bolts. I also had to purchase some backing plates for the bolts. Keep inmind, this was just a personal thing as I wanted them to be undoubtedly strong. I think I paid around $1/piece for the backing plates (1/4" thick 2" square case-hardened washers).

CBI stands for Can't Break It!

Here is the thread...http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t150384.html

Here are some pics. Looking at CBI's webpage, they must have changed the design since I got mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill...

The CBI unit is definately my favorite...but at $385 + aprox $80 for shipping, that's getting dangerously close to $500. I think i'm leaning towards the 4xInnovations product now. At $225 it's hard to argue with. I like that the kickout is a bit larger than Stubbs' (about the same size as CBI, btw)

thanks for posting.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
There's also Demello (demello-offroad.com) and Wabfab (wabfab.org, same as 4xI). Keep in mind most of those require you to weld the standoffs to the sliders, braces and gussets to the standoffs, then the braces to the frame. Quite a bit of measuring and welding.

Demello sells ones that are fully assembled and ready to bolt on, but they run around $600 plus shipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
according to their site and Adam @ 4xInnovations, the sliders for the 05+ DoubleCab Taco are all pre-welded...meaning the legs and gussets are all welded to the slider at their shop. All I'll have to do is take it to a local machine shop and have them weld the single units to the truck.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
jpcleve77 said:
according to their site and Adam @ 4xInnovations, the sliders for the 05+ DoubleCab Taco are all pre-welded...meaning the legs and gussets are all welded to the slider at their shop. All I'll have to do is take it to a local machine shop and have them weld the single units to the truck.
ok that's good! Last time I checked out their site the pics seemed to imply you had to assemble most of it yourself. I thought they said something about having to space the legs out yourself to get a proper fit. But if that's changed all the better! I hesitated on getting those myself as I thought it required more welding than I was comfortable doing since I'm still learning.

Good to know though as I'm planning on getting a set soon myself! If I don't have to get the $600 bolt on Demello's then I'll have more money for a bumper or coilovers! :clap:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exactly....I can't justify $600 for sliders. In fact...$350 is all i'm comfortable spending on this little upgrade. Luckily, I'm coming in at around $255! I had also eliminated 4xInnovations after seeing their pics on their site. All their images do show the kits as requiring assembly, but then I caught the fine print at the bottom of the page that indicates that only the 05+ double cab sliders come pre-welded <shrugs>. I confirmed with Adam again about 30 mins ago and placed my order! Sliders on the way.

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
not to make this a big debate as it became in my group buy thread, but cheaper isn't necesarily better. just keep in mind that if you will actually be using the sliders (on rocks, trees, etc) you don't want to risk damage to your truck because you saved $200. i don't want to say one brand is better than another, but if you take the time to research and look at pics, you'll see some small differences that can make a lot of difference in the quality of the slider

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I agree. It's not something you want to go cheap on if you plan on REALLY using them.

But then if I was going for the $600 HD ones because I felt I NEEDED that kind of protection then I'd be looking at a 4-point harness, roll cage, bead lock tires, winch, bumpers front and rear, front locker,.... and be building a rock crawler.

I personally only want something that'll protect against the occasional tree, a rock here or there, and break-overs that are mostly dirt. I have no intention of rock crawling, nor do I have the type of terrain for that around me. Honetly they will be used as steps and guards against shopping carts and car doors 90% of the time.

Considering my thin walled tube steps (only bolt on at the ends, btw) held up to the truck sitting on them and rocking back n forth on a break over I'd say just about any slider would be fine for what I need. Hell, the step bars would not have bent up and put small dents in the rocker panels if they had a brace in the middle. So some thicker steel bars with reinforcements and 3-4 stand offs welded to the frame should be more than enough for my needs, and probably the majority of people on here... I can't see many people rock crawling a new, nearly $30k truck without heavily modifing it anyway. Those people would probably be building their own roll cage and boxing the bed anyway! :lol:

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
PiercedTiger said:
I agree. It's not something you want to go cheap on if you plan on REALLY using them.

But then if I was going for the $600 HD ones because I felt I NEEDED that kind of protection then I'd be looking at a 4-point harness, roll cage, bead lock tires, winch, bumpers front and rear, front locker,.... and be building a rock crawler.

I personally only want something that'll protect against the occasional tree, a rock here or there, and break-overs that are mostly dirt. I have no intention of rock crawling, nor do I have the type of terrain for that around me. Honetly they will be used as steps and guards against shopping carts and car doors 90% of the time.

Considering my thin walled tube steps (only bolt on at the ends, btw) held up to the truck sitting on them and rocking back n forth on a break over I'd say just about any slider would be fine for what I need. Hell, the step bars would not have bent up and put small dents in the rocker panels if they had a brace in the middle. So some thicker steel bars with reinforcements and 3-4 stand offs welded to the frame should be more than enough for my needs, and probably the majority of people on here... I can't see many people rock crawling a new, nearly $30k truck without heavily modifing it anyway. Those people would probably be building their own roll cage and boxing the bed anyway! :lol:
very true, terrain will have a large role in determining how much you need them. but i disagree with the point of needing a 4-point harness, roll cage, etc if you need the sliders. i would guess most rocker panel damage costs about $500-$600 to fix, so landing on a rock once pays for the sliders. and if the sliders fail, your rocker panel suffers the consequences.

i will say though, that the options are broader if you go with a weld on style slider. there are still differences in manufacturers, but there are 2 or 3 brands that i would buy if i wanted weld on sliders. but i want bolt on sliders, and as far as i'm concerned, nobody makes better ones than demello. that's why i bought them. but to each their own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree as well. I'm a big believer in "you get what you pay for". BUT...that only goes so far. I REALLY like the CBI's...but are they $200 "better" than the 4xInnovations product...I doubt it. I know Demello is a trusted name and have a great product...personally, I wanted a kickout model and didn't see on on their site so I haven't included them in my decision. I also think it's a bit ridiculous that the bolt-ons cost $254 more than the weld ons...<shrugs>...whatever..I want to weld them on anyway.

I'm also with PiercedTiger here...although I take her off road every chance I get, I don't see too many rocks just yet. Central NC isn't that rocky. But as my mods continue and I get her prepared for Upper Telico ORV area in Western NC, that will change. So for the mean-time yeah..it's for general rocker/door protection and step for the little woman. Regarless, though...I've heard many good things about 4xInnovations' products and they shouldn't be regarded as being of lesser quality just because they're not asking for your first born for a pair.

Thanks for posting guys...OH...and look for a detailed write up when i get them. I'll try to do some step by step pics so you guys can make your own decisions.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I like the kick out as well... One of the reasons I'm leaning towards them regardless of price. I tend to forget how long the truck is around corners and clip trees and such with the rear fender. The kick out would prevent that.

Welds are stronger than the base material so I figure the frame would have to bend or tear for the sliders to move if they're welded on properly. (suppose this means a trip to my local repair shop and have them do it for me! :lol: )

My only concern is the gussets for wabfab and 4xI (more or less the same sliders) is quite a bit smaller than Demello's.... I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I would assume it would, but I'm no structural engineer.

And if I can save $300-$400, that's money for a bumper and winch! :clap: Well, I suppose I'll find out if I'm getting them after we visit the tax man tonight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah...cbi and demello both have L gussets which, either bolted or welded, provide a larger contact area to the frame. This, of course, should create a stronger bond. But, if 4xInnovations/wabfab or even Stubbs had people complaining of their sliders breaking off for lack of an L gusset, I'm sure they would address it, so hopefully it's a non-issue. But If I had the choice, I'd take the L gussets, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Good luck w/ the tax man!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
jpcleve77 said:
Yeah...cbi and demello both have L gussets which, either bolted or welded, provide a larger contact area to the frame. This, of course, should create a stronger bond. But, if 4xInnovations/wabfab or even Stubbs had people complaining of their sliders breaking off for lack of an L gusset, I'm sure they would address it, so hopefully it's a non-issue. But If I had the choice, I'd take the L gussets, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Good luck w/ the tax man!

Kinda what I was thinking too...

As for the tax man.....:rolleyes: We got this lady at H&R Block that could barely type (had to keep correcting her), and didn't know answers to half the questions we asked. I kept having turbo tax commercial flash backs! :lol: Kept wanting to grab the keyboard and be like "here.... let ME do it...." And then it turns out we make too much for earned income credit so the kids don't mean shit. We'll get back maybe 2grand which is better than owing 2 grand, but no where NEAR the figure I had in my head from our last return! (got back around 8grand last year and we made a LOT less money salary wise. go figure.) Needless to say we're disappointed, bills and truck mods are on hold yet again, AND we have to go back cuz we forgot to print out the property tax report for the house. Oh yeah, and the dumb broad wants a copy of last year's taxes/H&R Block to see how THEY wrote off my Road Runner bills cuz she didn't know how to do it.... :rolleyes: :disappoin Talk about a wasted 2 hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts