Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
spin turbo hammy... SPIN!
2,849 Posts
well a buddy of mine had 2 mtx subs, i think they were around 150/200 watts rms a piece, and i had my single kicker compvr 12 @ like 350 watts rms... and we were just equal when we set em up and had a "bump off"...

right now i have a single kicker s12l5 w/ a 600.1 amp going to it and with the space saving and such i think it is quite clear and still puts out a TON of bass

·
Cruiser
1987 Rolla
25 Posts
i had a mate replace 2 10s for a 12 but yeh...there actually isnt much difference

just preference and space you can use :)

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Well if the 10 is ported and tuned high, then I would say the single ten easily. But they will be equal if both subs are sealed if the single sub can handle the 400 watts. I am running a single 12 and am louder than my friends dual 12's (sealed), my friends 3 10's (sealed) with the same power. It all in the install...

Oh I think two tens with less power will sound better due to more cone area.

·
Registered
99 camry le v6
148 Posts
eddiem67 said:
It all in the install...

Oh I think two tens with less power will sound better due to more cone area.
^exactly^ i had 2 12w6v2s in a slot ported box for a total of 800W at 4 ohms of resistance and they hit louder than my 13w7 in a sealed box puttin out 1000w at 3 ohms of resistance. i have to get a slot ported box made so i can compare the 2 12's with the 13 again, because comparing slot ported to sealed is apples and oranges, as they say.
the 2 10's will have more cone area thus giving you louder bass than the single 10 even though there is equal power. whatever you do make sure to get a slot ported box, it'll give you loud bass like 12's while keeping the tightness of 10's.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
but only if you tune it low, unless the sub has a very high Q.

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
It has everything to do with the sub, the install, the amp, the freq.....inotherwords there is no cut and dry way of saying yes or no.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
but there is physics, so it is cut and dry.

·
Registered
159 Posts
In your situation with all things being equal, I would go for 2 woofers and lower wattage. You get stereo sub-bass and less wear and tear on your speakers.

Does your woofer of choice "sing" at the lower wattage. Some woofers are contructed to "get going" only at higher wattages. Something to think about.

·
Registered
47 Posts
generally, assuming all constants are the same, the 2 10s would be better due to less cone travel of each sub.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just added a pioneer 120 rms/ 500 peak with my pro series 200 rms /500 peak. And they hit hard! It has to be the box. Its selaed, but its slanted, and it hits the deep lows. I went to test it out today at the local neighborhood park, and I get a phonecall from my mom talkin bout turn it down its shakin the bathroom. Our house is a good 700 yards away. Pretty good for some inexpensive speakers.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
GSteg said:
the 2 10s would be better due to less cone travel of each sub.
Your kidding right?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was trying to figure the physics in that. But if you use two subs bridged against one sub wouldnt it give more pressure in the cabin due to two sound waves traveling?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
more cone travel gives you more air movement, which in the end gives you louder volume, now if we are talking strictly SQ, then yes you do not require as much cone movement but require a better Q setting based on the Subs parameter, and enclosure specs.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
finese1 said:
I was trying to figure the physics in that. But if you use two subs bridged against one sub wouldnt it give more pressure in the cabin due to two sound waves traveling?
yes by 3db's, but if you port the single sub, they equal out because you gain 3db's by porting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
he asked which sounds better and assuming all constants are the same (ie. volume, installation, etc) and the only thing changed is the amount of woofers, the 2 driver will have better sound quality.

it would be idiotic to say 2 woofers will not be louder than a single woofer under the same conditions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
you gain 3db ONLY if you have double the cone area AND power. In this case, there will not be a 3db gain because even though the cone area is doubled, the total amount of power is still the same. In another words, 3db gain is achieved when there are twice the total energy.

Even when porting, 3db is theoretical and only happens near the tuning freuency. 3db is not gained across the frequency bandwidth :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Beamonesque said:
which sounds louder and or better.

2 x 10's at 200 watts each or 1 x10" at 400 watts?
All things being equal, the output and the SQ would be identical in your example. It can be argued that the two woofer system would be more reliable due to the lower power. Assuming all 10" drivers in this example can handle 400 Watts (same model), the two 10" system with 800 Watts of power handling would never get hot enough to burn even under severe clipping with the 200 Watt amplifer. Whenever you can split up the abuse over more voice coils, you will have a more reliable system. It's better to get louder with displacement than power.

Regards,

J.Colasanti
JL Audio, Inc.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts