Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Toyota Corolla model: CE made in 2007 in Ontario, Canada with the standard 1.8L and 5 speed manual transmission. I bought it 3 years ago at 165 000 KM and I now have 207 700KM and have all the receipts since new. Spark plugs were never changed (they might off been but no receipt) and I did not remove one to check condition of them.

I need everyone's opinion on which spark plugs I should buy: Denso or NGK? and which version should I get?. I got the part #'s from Denso Aftermarket's website, also should I get them from a local auto parts store (what # do I use?) or dealer (what # do I use?), would production quality be different?.

Denso # 3120=U-Groove Conventional= Gap 0.044
Denso # 3134=Double Platinum= Gap 0.044
Denso # 3324=Iridium Long Life= Gap 0.044
Denso # 4503=Platinum TT= Gap 0.040
Denso # 4701=Iridium TT= Gap 0.040
Denso # 5303=Iridium Power= Gap 0.044

I always use Octane grade 91 (we have 87, 89 and 91) and usually put about 40% highway miles and about 60% city on average. I usually burn 38 liters of gasoline (in a 50 liter gas tank when low gas light comes on instrument cluster) and I drive on average 535 KM (sometimes more in summer and sometimes less winter or traffic or short trips) . So not sure what you all get?.

Thank you for your help/replies in advance.

Sidney
E-mail: sidneybek(at)yahoo.com
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada

2008 Toyota Corolla model: CE with 1.8L and 5 speed manual with 207 700 KM (made in Ontario, Canada in 2007)

·
CAMEL74
24 Posts
2008 Corolla Spark Plugs

2008 Toyota Corolla Spark Plugs:

BOSCH 9600 OE Fine Wire Double Iridium; 0.043" Gap -- Comes pre-gapped.
Available at RockAuto.com

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
The Denso 3324 is the OEM spark plug. Get them, and you won't have to worry about them again for a long time. Production quality is no different between the dealer plugs and the "aftermarket" versions :)

NGK is also good, but they are a bit more expensive. If you use the NGK's, get the Laser Iridium.

Buy them from Rock Auto for the best price.

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
DENSO OEM dealer here is $18 each for my HiHy. NGK iridium tipped that easily runs 100 000 miles is $7 each parts store. I used NGK for years without any issues.
So my question is - why bother with DENSO?
Also, none of my business of course, but why do you run 91 octane on a car that is made for 87? It's your car, of course.

When it comes to the opposite—using a higher octane fuel than recommended—the risk of danger is lower. The general consensus is that using premium gas when your car can run on regular gas doesn’t deliver any extra benefits when it comes to engine life, fuel economy or reduced emissions. So save your money and fill up with regular gas.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DENSO OEM dealer here is $18 each for my HiHy. NGK iridium tipped that easily runs 100 000 miles is $7 each parts store. I used NGK for years without any issues.
Also, none of my business of course, but why do you run 91 octane on a car that is made for 87? It's your car, of course.

When it comes to the opposite—using a higher octane fuel than recommended—the risk of danger is lower. The general consensus is that using premium gas when your car can run on regular gas doesn’t deliver any extra benefits when it comes to engine life, fuel economy or reduced emissions. So save your money and fill up with regular gas.
I am confused about the octane rating as on the bottom of page 81 of the PDF (or page 289 of the paperback):

https://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/manuals/2008_toyota_corolla.pdf

It states the following:

’08 Corolla_U (L/O 0706)
2008 COROLLA from Aug. ’07 Prod. (OM12B28U)

Fuel type:

Unleaded gasoline, Octane Rating 87
(Research Octane Number 91) or higher
Fuel tank capacity, L (gal., Imp. gal.):
50 (13.2, 11.0)

You are in USA maybe NGK spark plugs here in Canada might be more expensive, I don't know as I have not called around. Thank you.

Sidney
E-mail: sidneybek(at)yahoo.com
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada

2008 Toyota Corolla model: CE with 1.8L and 5 speed manual with 207 700 KM (made in Ontario, Canada in 2007)

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Then reesearching octane differences is surely beneficial.
But this is what I observe existentially. They surely want to confuse you and doop into spending more money on more expensive but useless petrol.
So unless it CLEARLY states that higher octane is REQUIRED, like it is on GDI engines due to much higher compression ratio - then you are simply making them richer with your money and at no benefit to your vehicle.
I spoke. This debate will surely get heated as opinions on octane use are as profound as on oil, filter and plugs.

·
CAMEL74
24 Posts
Ignore the "Research Octane Number".
The octane numbers on the fuel pumps at gas stations are "Motor Octane Numbers", which are the only octane numbers that you are concerned with.
Your car's Owner's Manual calls for 87 Octane fuel. That's the one to use.
Using fuel at 91 Octane (pump number) will provide NO benefit -- and since the higher octane fuel burns slower, your engine's valves will become carbon-fouled much more readily.
Paying premium fuel prices when your vehicle doesn't require premium fuel is a REALLY bad idea.

·
Registered
630 Posts
NEVER use Bosch ignition parts in a Toyota.

What he said! Bosch spark plugs are for Volkswagen vehicles.....

Spark plug inquiries can be confusing. Everyone seems to have a different plug that works well for them....similar to oil threads. To each their own....

The easiest thing to do is to remove 1 of your plugs , see what it is and buy the very same plug. If those are OEM iridium plugs , they are good for 192,000 km's and more. Some only change them at 250,000 km's and the engine still works good. Check your owners manual and it will show you an option for both NGK or Denso. Both very good quality iridium plugs, either will work well. Again, replace what you currently have ....

You don't need to run high octane fuel, it's a money scam. There "are" more cleaners in high octane fuel and that helps with running cleaner ,but use 87 octane and throw in a bottle of seafoam once or twice a year... :)

PS....It's amazing that Rock Auto can ship plugs to Canada for half the price of buying them locally!! Check them out....good luck

·
straight cash homie
21,918 Posts
NEVER use Bosch ignition parts in a Toyota.

The correct plug for your car
http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/topics/2007/05_2.html
SC20HR11
90919-01253

Beware they are many fake plugs out there even at places like Amazon.
This. Bosch plugs are OE for European cars, so stick to Denso or NGK because they are OE for most Japanese makes.

These will last year another 100K, and they're also known as Denso 3444 besides the SC20HR11 and the Toyota 01253 part numbers (all the same plug just different packaging if not bought at the dealer). The comparable NGKs would be fine as well too but at this point, the choice between the two would come down to price and availability.

http://www.usaantipiracy.com/cars/denso.html

·
CAMEL74
24 Posts
Spark Plugs

I'm surprised at the lack of knowledge expressed here in regards to spark plugs in general, and BOSCH spark plugs in particular -- some say "Bosch is for Volkswagens!"; some say "Bosch is for European vehicles!"; Some say "Densos only !"; Some say "Pay more and get the NGKs!" -- but nobody mentions the statistics that tell us that neither Denso nor NGK currently produces a DOUBLE IRIDIUM ( Iridium on both electrodes ), as does BOSCH.
Yes DENSO makes a fine spark plug -- I have used them in my Toyotas for hundreds of thousands of miles with no spark plug issues of any kind.
I have used NGKs as well, on one of my Toyotas and several dirt bikes. Likewise, no problems.

Yes there are a ton of opinions, based almost entirely on anecdotal "evidence" -- but where do we see evidence that a spark plug knows what make of engine that it is screwed into !??? HHMMMMM !?? Face it, there is NONE !!

What matters TO ME is the design and construction of the spark plug, which includes the type of center electrode, the type of ground electrode, the material used in the surfaces of the electrodes, the design of the firing tip's so-called "flame travel" (aka "kernel"), Insulator design and materials, the method of "sealing" the insulator to the plug body, and the type of plating (or lack of it) used on the plug's threads to prevent plug "seizure".

Comparing those factors, I find that the BOSCH Double Iridium meets ALL of those requirements, but neither the NGK nor the Denso plugs do so.

HOWEVER, you are all free to believe whatever hype you care to swallow, and run whatever plugs you think are "best".

Personally, I run BOSCH Double Iridiums in our '99 Land Cruiser V-8 and in our Modified 6-cylinder Toyota (Shaved Head, Port-Matched intake & exhaust, Electronic ignition, 6-into-1 Header, Offenhauser Dual-Port intake, Holley 4-bbl., Open Exhaust, 4-Speed with Hone Overdrive) FJ-40 -- as well as in our Mercury 4.6-litre V-8. They perform very well in all 3 vehicles, and have been long-lasting and trouble-free for over 400,000 miles (combined).

Attachments

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,947 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
You talk like there's a difference between Denso & NGK. There really is no difference. As far as running 91 over 87, 91 has much better/more cleaning additives.

At least where I've worked, Chevron Richmond refinery.:smile:

·
Premium Member
14,785 Posts
That Bosch double iridium pin to pin plug looks pretty good on paper. I know the Bosch platinum surface gap style plugs DO NOT play well with most Asian ignition systems for some reason. They misfired in my 7A-FE distributor system, in my mothers Mazda's waste spark, and my friends Mitsubishi waste spark system as well. In my 7A-FE they misfired after about a week, they went a little longer in the other cars but still failed to run properly prematurely.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That Bosch double iridium pin to pin plug looks pretty good on paper. I know the Bosch platinum surface gap style plugs DO NOT play well with most Asian ignition systems for some reason. They misfired in my 7A-FE distributor system, in my mothers Mazda's waste spark, and my friends Mitsubishi waste spark system as well. In my 7A-FE they misfired after about a week, they went a little longer in the other cars but still failed to run properly prematurely.
You'd think a company like Bosch could make a reliable plug(given the lack of moving parts). But I too have had a number of bad Bosch plugs. I will never use them again.

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
You talk like there's a difference between Denso & NGK. There really is no difference. As far as running 91 over 87, 91 has much better/more cleaning additives.

At least where I've worked, Chevron Richmond refinery.:smile:
Before considering this information to all:
There is difference between Denso and NGK and it starts with simple mechanical one. Picture below is used as sample, Iridium tipped are same shape and difference in electrodes, resulting in different combustion characteristics:

At least, Denso that came out of my car 2 weeks ago. They are double tipped, like one on the right.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dif...UICygC&biw=1920&bih=916#imgrc=xTRosVrjYlyUOM:

Next:
The main difference between 87 and 91 octane gas is just the additive that they add to it. They are still the same unleaded gasoline that will work on your car. The purpose of the additive is to make the gas more resistant to pre-detonation, more commonly known as pinging or knocking.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...35i39k1j0i67k1j0i131i67k1j0i131k1._4MesBYIxmQ

This is why higher octane is progressively used on higher compression engines.

Be well.

·
CAMEL74
24 Posts
Iridium Spark Plugs

Are Bosch' excellent Platinum Ir Fusion spark plugs discontinued? Mine are still great with well over 100,000 miles on them now in my super-modded 1ZZ-FE with total of 210,000 miles.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/spark-plugs

At $5.34 each, Denso Iridium TT made in Japan is absolutely your best choice. http://densott.com/

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2004,corolla,1.8l+l4,1432915,ignition,spark+plug,7212
Scroll down further at rockauto.com:
BOSCH 9600 OE Fine Wire Double Iridium; Iridium; 0.043" Gap (Pre-gapped). @ $4.92 each.
Denso (or anybody else) does not offer a DOUBLE- IRIDIUM spark plug.
Just sayin' ;>)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts