Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to address some unhappiness I have with the way my T's steering behaves. 90% of it is in the steering box (see other thread), but I think some of the feeling could be cured with a new steering damper. I pulled the old one off this morning and it's completely junk - might as well not be on there. It can be flattened quicker than a window opener.

So, which steering damper would you guys recommend? the $24 one from rock auto (monroe), or a rancho, or something else?

I was leaning towards a rancho, but one thing I find disconcerting is all of the adds show them with Ubolts and state that they include "mounting hardware". The t100 came with a stabilizer, so none of this U-bolt shenanigans should be required right? Will those rancho kits still work?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
104 Posts
The aftermarket stabilizers do not fit on both of the stock mounts for the T100, only on one end. You will need to use their U-bolt on one end. No big deal to install, just check by turning the steering wheel fully in both directions before you tighten the u-bolt to make sure its positioned correctly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any that fit the factory location?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
You obviously realize that a new damper (stabilizer) is just a bandaid for your steering problems (which puts you one up on most people), so a better bandaid would be one with return-to-center. Most don't do that, they are just 50-50 shocks. I think the OME stabilizer is r-t-c. Might want to check into it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just replaced mine a few months ago. I went to my local Napa dealer and bought one, dont remember what brand. But it did fit in the stock mounts. You might want to get yourself a pickle bar to make the removal easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts