Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a choice of a 91 mr2 and an 88 supra turbo, and i cannot decide which car i want to use to start modding. i have 5k to spend plus whatever i get for selling the other one ( i own both) both are 5 speed. the mr2 has t-tops and the supra has a targa top. mr2 has 300,000+miles the supra has 109,000 miles. both need body work and minor interior work. which car would be the easiest to get the most out of the $5k as far as performance goes? and which car would u choose and why. i cannot decide. i like the looks of the mr2 better, but i believe i can get more out of the supra. what are the pros and cons to each car?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Keep the MR2. Use the $5k to rebuild the motor or buy a new one. You should have enough left over cash for a new turbo, intercooler, intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so u think the mr2 has more potential, i was gonna go with a jdm 3sgte swap for it costing $2700 shipped to the house (rear clip)

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
ceracer33 said:
so u think the mr2 has more potential, i was gonna go with a jdm 3sgte swap for it costing $2700 shipped to the house (rear clip)
That's a little pricey for the clip... even for a 3rd gen.... but good plan :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'dd have to say Supra, but I'm a Supra fan. If your gonna sell it.......how much you want? Thats kinda the one I was looking for. 88 - 91 targa turbo, needs some work.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
ceracer33 said:
ok i have a choice of a 91 mr2 and an 88 supra turbo, and i cannot decide which car i want to use to start modding. i have 5k to spend plus whatever i get for selling the other one ( i own both) both are 5 speed. the mr2 has t-tops and the supra has a targa top. mr2 has 300,000+miles the supra has 109,000 miles. both need body work and minor interior work. which car would be the easiest to get the most out of the $5k as far as performance goes? and which car would u choose and why. i cannot decide. i like the looks of the mr2 better, but i believe i can get more out of the supra. what are the pros and cons to each car?
obviously my vote would be get the mr2....and do a turbo swap since the car has over 300k miles on it....

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
Mr2 with the 3sgte swap.. that'd be your best choice. 88's supra's tend to become a money pit on high mileage.. although that may just be a myth. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ishcoleobo said:
That's a little pricey for the clip... even for a 3rd gen.... but good plan :D

do u know where i can get one cheaper. i was going to buy the whole clip b/c i figured that would be the easiest way to go. if u know a cheaper or better way to do it let me know. its a 2nd gen not a 3rd gen by the way.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
I would keep the Supra since it is already Turbo. People don't give the 7mgte enough credit. You can really put down some impressive numbers with it. :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts