Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh no ! where are you located : Ottawa area ? I have heard lots of HL get stolen in that area

And how did you remove the OBD2 connector ? I plug in that thing a few time a year, could not live without it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Lexus 350 & Toyo HL are the most hunted vehicles in the whole Ontario & Quebec.The third on the list is the Ford F150.
I cant't give you specifics about the OBD2 port here.
Thiefs are getting their education on the internet too.
It still exist in a different location.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This looks like possibly a great, and inexpensive, OBD2 port protector:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my opinion its better to hide or relocate the port.The scrooge can just reach up and follow the wire from this fake port and reach out and connect to the real connector.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even better;Hide or relocate and lock the port with something like this:

Only locking with this is not enough as this overpriced made of plastic can be pried off if its at the factory installed location!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my opinion its better to hide or relocate the port.The scrooge can just reach up and follow the wire from this fake port and reach out and connect to the real connector.
And you still have to disconnect it when service would need the port to be used for diagnostic,tire changes etc...
If you let the service do it for you they will charge you for the labour involved.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,950 Posts
just leave the oem port be so the crooks can get to it easy enough. that will definitely solve the inconvenience of having to disconnect it for service.
Yep.
1 - Insurance claim for a damaged/vandalised car that you'll have to have fixed, and it'll still carry the scars.
2 - Insurance claim for a stolen vehicle, get a new one.

In some parts of Los Angeles, it's getting as bad as NYC was 20 years ago... people are leaving their windows down and trunks open so dirtbags won't break in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Forget locking the OBD2. Instead, install a Scotchlok inline fuse 3m #972 to pin 16, the "always hot" wire on your OBD2 wiring, just above the port and store the fuse in the glove box until needed.
It won't stop someone from breaking in, but it'll confound them when they try to access the CAN.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forget locking the OBD2. Instead, install a Scotchlok inline fuse 3m #972 to pin 16, the "always hot" wire on your OBD2 wiring, just above the port and store the fuse in the glove box until needed.
It won't stop someone from breaking in, but it'll confound them when they try to access the CAN.
Your over enginering it.
If I wanted to go this route,I would have pulled the ignition or fuel pump relay.But then my remote start wouldn't work neither!!

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,950 Posts
Your over enginering it.
If I wanted to go this route,I would have pulled the ignition or fuel pump relay.But then my remote start wouldn't work neither!!
And neither would your car without reinstalling the fuse/relay.

His suggestion allows you to drive the car normally without futzing with anything, but you need to install the fuse to use the OBD connector.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And neither would your car without reinstalling the fuse/relay.

His suggestion allows you to drive the car normally without futzing with anything, but you need to install the fuse to use the OBD connector.
The ideal location of that fuse would have to be a little distance from the Obd port.
To get to it you would have to remove the lower panel under the dash.This same panel needs to be removed to remove & reinstall the Obd connector to and from its factory installed location.
If the Obd had been just pulled back behind the dash without extending its wires and relocating it for example behind the glove compartment.
The fuse install with the Obd port not relocated would give a false hope for the criminals.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,950 Posts
The ideal location of that fuse would have to be a little distance from the Obd port.
To get to it you would have to remove the lower panel under the dash.This same panel needs to be removed to remove & reinstall the Obd connector to and from its factory installed location.
If the Obd had been just pulled back behind the dash without extending its wires and relocating it for example behind the glove compartment.
The fuse install with the Obd port not relocated would give a false hope for the criminals.
You can make it as complex as you like.
It only needs to be accessed and the fuse reinstalled when the port is needed.
As long as you don't use an OBD information computer like the Scangauge, the only time it is needed is for service and emissions testing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can make it as complex as you like.
It only needs to be accessed and the fuse reinstalled when the port is needed.
As long as you don't use an OBD information computer like the Scangauge, the only time it is needed is for service and emissions testing.
Thanks.
Its not for me.I prefer the OBD port removal from the dash and lock it and hide it inside the dash.
Also if the engine computer would fail for whatever reason during the warranty period and the dealer would discover that the Obd ports wire had been tempered with they might blame that for the ECM failure and cancel the warranty on it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts