Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
7,185 Posts
just leave the oem port be so the crooks can get to it easy enough. that will definitely solve the inconvenience of having to disconnect it for service.
Yep.
1 - Insurance claim for a damaged/vandalised car that you'll have to have fixed, and it'll still carry the scars.
2 - Insurance claim for a stolen vehicle, get a new one.

In some parts of Los Angeles, it's getting as bad as NYC was 20 years ago... people are leaving their windows down and trunks open so dirtbags won't break in.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
7,185 Posts
Your over enginering it.
If I wanted to go this route,I would have pulled the ignition or fuel pump relay.But then my remote start wouldn't work neither!!
And neither would your car without reinstalling the fuse/relay.

His suggestion allows you to drive the car normally without futzing with anything, but you need to install the fuse to use the OBD connector.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
7,185 Posts
The ideal location of that fuse would have to be a little distance from the Obd port.
To get to it you would have to remove the lower panel under the dash.This same panel needs to be removed to remove & reinstall the Obd connector to and from its factory installed location.
If the Obd had been just pulled back behind the dash without extending its wires and relocating it for example behind the glove compartment.
The fuse install with the Obd port not relocated would give a false hope for the criminals.
You can make it as complex as you like.
It only needs to be accessed and the fuse reinstalled when the port is needed.
As long as you don't use an OBD information computer like the Scangauge, the only time it is needed is for service and emissions testing.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
7,185 Posts
Except the thief’s device probably doesn’t need to be powered (a laptop for example) by your vehicle making this modification useless…
If the cable doesn't sense power from the port, they generally don't recognize the existence of the port.
As added insurance, fuse both the hot and ground. Thief's cable can't communicate without a logic ground reference even if it were able to communicate without the hot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts