Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Highlander SE AWD, 2006 Matrix
106 Posts
Forget locking the OBD2. Instead, install a Scotchlok inline fuse 3m #972 to pin 16, the "always hot" wire on your OBD2 wiring, just above the port and store the fuse in the glove box until needed.
It won't stop someone from breaking in, but it'll confound them when they try to access the CAN.
Except the thief’s device probably doesn’t need to be powered (a laptop for example) by your vehicle making this modification useless…

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,950 Posts
Except the thief’s device probably doesn’t need to be powered (a laptop for example) by your vehicle making this modification useless…
If the cable doesn't sense power from the port, they generally don't recognize the existence of the port.
As added insurance, fuse both the hot and ground. Thief's cable can't communicate without a logic ground reference even if it were able to communicate without the hot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I sold a roof rack on Kijiji and guy purchasing was a BWM mechanic, the rack for for his Wife's car a 2018 LE.
I asking him if he took any special measures to deter thieves , he said NO ad the LE models have no smart key , just an old fashion Key so these were not getting stolen as XLE and higher trims.

But he did say he heard a recommendation that is was a good idea to remove a key ID that is apparently found on the key barrel on the driver side door ?

This does not really make sense to me ? It would stop the thief's from being able to order replacement keys ? but not stop them from breaking in and driving off.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I sold a roof rack on Kijiji and guy purchasing was a BWM mechanic, the rack for for his Wife's car a 2018 LE.
I asking him if he took any special measures to deter thieves , he said NO ad the LE models have no smart key , just an old fashion Key so these were not getting stolen as XLE and higher trims.

But he did say he heard a recommendation that is was a good idea to remove a key ID that is apparently found on the key barrel on the driver side door ?

This does not really make sense to me ? It would stop the thief's from being able to order replacement keys ? but not stop them from breaking in and driving off.
The key ID is not displayed on the key cylinder.At least not to the outside of the door.Replacement keys can be ordered from the dealer and some locksmith with the vin number and proof of ownership.
The ignition key has a immobilizer chip in it which will need to be programmed to the car to start it.
Push button start system is a bad design in the Toyos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! I listen everything on obd2 security for my hl 2021. I understand the best way is to relocate the obd2 away in dash, so, where‘s the best place to relocate and how can you acces when the dealer need to use the obd2 port? I was thinking about install a kill switch or a fuse on obd2 but i’m afraid about lose warranty.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I wish I wouldn't worry too much, but after a failed theft attempt... they tried to pick up the signal from my key overnight.
There are Faraday Pouch key fob protectors you may look in to (if not already). For the immediate near term, you can disable you key fobs (instruction is in your owner's manual) while not in use, or try put the key fob in an Altoids mint metal container 😂 for over night keeping (smelling fresh in the morning too).

·
Registered
48 Posts
oh my the local thieves were checking out our 2019 LE last night :

Random car stops out of camera view, dude walk to the back of the Highlander checks the model then goes off. No I am wondering are they interested in LE model with no Keyfob ?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
oh my the local thieves were checking out our 2019 LE last night :

Random car stops out of camera view, dude walk to the back of the Highlander checks the model then goes off. No I am wondering are they interested in LE model with no Keyfob ?
Thieves steal vehicles not necessarily to resell them as a whole, but, can be for parts, so doesn't really matter which trim level as long as they feel there is more $$ to be made than the risk of getting cought. Time to park your car in the garage if possible; otherwise, that security camera needs to zoom-in much more or move to another location to be out of the way of that tree (or consider a much higher resolution camera with motion tracking etc.), a security camera is only good if it can capture relevant material (physical/facial appearance, license plate number, and even "colored" night vision videos)... Hope it was nothing.

EDIT:
P.S. Your camera covers several of your neighbor's houses, you might want to be sure (if not already) of your neighborhood/subdivision's privacy regulation ...

·
Registered
2018 Highlander SE AWD, 2006 Matrix
106 Posts
LE cannot be stolen as easily as higher models with smart key. He saw LE and left. LoL. Here in eastern Canada most stolen cars are not sold for part but shipped to Africa or the Middle East where they are sold on the open market. Vehicles are on car lots with Canadian plates still on them…

·
Registered
2019 Highlander XLE Blizzard pearl
884 Posts
Most posters are Canadian
They leave their vehicles on the driveway 24/7 and fill their garage with junk
If thieves can't see the vehicle
They won't steal it

21 - 40 of 45 Posts