Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a constant whine that comes from the timing belt area i have check the tensioner and everything seems okay, should i worry?

·
Registered
Tercel
74 Posts
Have you checked the idler pully too? The bearings could be starting to seize and that could explain the wining that you hear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When your alternator starts to go, it makes an audible low "wheeeeeeeeeee" sound. Turn off your radio and fans and listen while its running.
You can test with a device -I don't remember it's name, but it's a simple meter with two clamps that reads the voltage going to your battery.
A rebuilt alternator like Champion is pretty cheap, well under $200, and it's an easy job to replace. You can get the brushes and bearings replaced for about $40. A wrecker's alternator should be under $20.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Unplug the alternator and see if the whine continues. If yes you may have the timing belt too tight.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay , i will try unplugging it and see what happens. can you tell me what's the most H.P. you can get from a naturally aspirated 3ee motor?

·
Registered
Tercel
74 Posts
depends how much money you have to spend. F1 engines are naturally aspirated and easily make 800hp and up

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Don't even bother, you'll spend more money trying to get a 3ee upgraded than it would cost to swap in something far better. The 3ee is a great engine for economy but that's all it was built for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts