Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
not actual size
Camry
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had the whiteline for several months. Real happy with it, except for one particular point I need some help with.

The swaybar moves side to side. Not like it moves back and forth all the time... what I mean is after several weeks of driving, I'll start hearing a clunking noise from the rear when going over bumps. I'll look at the rsb and see that it's worked its way to the right so that the curved part of the bar is colliding with the frame. It's really frickin' annoying.

I attempted to follow someone else's advice and just torque down the bushing brackets, but I ended up snapping the head off one of the bolts in the process. There really needs to be some more optimal solution.

The main cause for this lateral movement appears to be that there is no control collar on the whiteline rsb, whereas the stock rsb has collars that align with the bushing location and prevent side-to-side movement. And no, I don't think that I can use the stock ones because 1) they're too dinky to fit around the bigger bar and 2) I don't think I can get them off without destroying them.

Anyone have any solutions? Does the energy bushing kit I've heard of have some sort of collar piece? Should I just weld a block of metal on there to act as a control collar?

·
Premium Member
Supra
3,621 Posts
Welding to spring steel removes the temper and the spring in that portion...perhaps you could spot/tack weld something, but any real heat will screw with the bar. Another solution might be a one way sway endlink. Allows fore/aft rotational motion, but not in outboard. It might reduce pulling if that is causing the bar to move.

Perhaps also the bar is distorted...has it been off to see if it is still square, or if it is bent and helping it move around?

Maybe someone could let whiteline know of the problem...and send a pic or 2 to help them add that feature if many are having the same problem...

Bob

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I notice clunking from my rear end (suspension, not my ass), but I have no idea what it is. Next time I am at the mechanic, I will ask him to see if anything needs to be worked on.

·
not actual size
Camry
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what I'm talking about. The hose idea is interesting... but I think I need something that's either part of the bar itself, or braces against the ends of the bar.

I'm pretty sure it's still square, but I've not taken it out since I put it in. I suppose it's possible that an end got messed up by my crazy driving ;)

·
Mr. Toyota
140 Posts
I made a metal insert for mine to make the bushing fit a little tighter. I had a similar problem, and that fixed it :).

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
There has got to be a way to fix that with zip ties....

·
Registered
339 Posts
The Whiteline bar will slide if you drive hard. I had the same problem a month after I installed my sway bar.

I used circular pipe clamps as collars to prevent the lateral shifting. Voila, hasn't moved in a year and a half. :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't have a pic, but in the picture above, it's exactly to the right of the yellow bushing, where there's about a finger's width of "straight bar" before it starts to curve downward. One clamp on each side should prevent the movement.

If you do this, I'd suggest following 2wicked's suggestion of using something rubber between the clamp and sway bar; I used just the pipe clamp and over time I'm afraid it might bite into the paint and cause rust.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have some noise issues (I have a 1997 - and there are exsisting suspension noises, IIRC) - but I don't care anymore.

I figure I will get a new car someday, so it isn't worth it to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.