Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to sell my old Camry because the transmission went out, It was going to cost as much to rebuild or replace it as the car was worth. I have a friend that has had to replace the transmission in his Camry 3 times. However he does stupid stuff like reving it in neutral so I was not suprised. My '93 had 161,000 miles and was in good shape besides that, never had any other major problems. Were transmission problems common in alot of Camrys or am I a unique case?

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Transmission problems are only common in the 92-93 Gen3 Camrys. They tend to die a bit earlier than usual because the tranny is small and the oil can be easily overheated.

Any transmission's life depends what type of tranny oil you put in, how frequently you change it and your driving behaviour.

I'm running with Redline High-temp ATF with additional tranny cooler. I've ran several track and auto-x events and I've not no problem at all.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
i have tranny problems but thats also because i left my dad to take care of it and well the fluid didnt get changed for 60k ...

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
I believe my Camry's transmission was changed around 189,000 miles. It currently has 224k and it runs nicely. This is my first automatic car that I've driven and owned... Auto trannies scare me because I've known so many people who have had problems with auto's. Im a 5sp guy for life and vowed never to get an auto but I couldnt bare to pass this Camry up especially for the price it was going for and I have NO regrets... Hopefully I can get a good 75,000 miles and hopefully more out of it :cool:

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
My tranny made it to 185,000miles before kicking it. A bearing broke and short around the whole thing. Kinda fucked things up:lol: $2000 to replace. I ran Auto-x with the current one :)

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i have an auto tranny and when i went to florida it seemed like it was going to die(didn't want to shift) but after the drive back up it seems like nothing is wrong :confused: but as soon as i can i'm ripping this slushbox out and putting in a manual tranny:D

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
^
Standard conversion is over rated:D
Rock the slush box!!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies, sounds like it was a common issue. I am sure if I replaced the transmission the car would have run for another 160000 miles, but I was already looking to get a new car. I will miss the old girl, she was a good car.

·
RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG
516 Posts
yea my tranny also blew up.i think it was maybe around 100,000 miles, not quite sure.at that time though i liked to drive with overdrive off so i'm sure that had something to do with it. i never did any neutral drops or any any of that bullish. the casin had some nice size holes in it, the tranny just frickin blew up. i eneded up building another auto for boost, i run synthetic fluid and also have an atf cooler in front. so far no more problems. i've had the tranny for a year and a half now.

·
Guess whos back
2000 VW golf
675 Posts
I might have to hit ya up i think my tranny is going on my car.....I hear a clicking when i let off the gas....but when i press on the brake it stops.. but when i let off it starts again.....I can feel the clicking....not so good? any guys think you have clue what it is?

·
CamRY GirL Md
334 Posts
well my tranny slips slightly through 1st and 2nd but it only does it sometimes and its been this way since i bought the car. hasent gotten worse either. i almost have 230k on my car. . still going strong . .

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Ah well, bitch as we might.

If i get a new tran in my car, I am going to change its fluid more often and def get a tran cooler in. i might even do it now, seeing as my tran is limping along. I figure a little cooler cant possibly hurt. Redline or some synth high temp fluid should also be a good thing.

Just wondering if i should cut into the line before it gets to the radiator or after it comes back out. Not like there is a bunch of room up front to mount one anyways.

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
CamryWhat? said:
I might have to hit ya up i think my tranny is going on my car.....I hear a clicking when i let off the gas....but when i press on the brake it stops.. but when i let off it starts again.....I can feel the clicking....not so good? any guys think you have clue what it is?
Haynes Manual said if you hear it click when you turn it could be an axle.

·
Registered
Celica
303 Posts
me too !

my 93 Sport V6 is also in DVN for repair this week. Its going cost me $3600 repair for a rebuilt one. The tranny was whinning on me. only have 189,000 km on it. Keep you posted on the rebuilt one.

Harvey.

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
my gen3, 11 years old, 185k miles and running strong in the engine/tranny department. just everything else has needed to be replaced.:p:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts