Toyota Nation Forum banner

Who Likes Carbon Fiber?? (my new interior mod)

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Dobri56 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently came across the 3M DI-NOC carbon fiber material and decided to buy some and try it out. I must say I am very impressed with the look, feel, and quality of the material as well as its ability to be formed to complex surfaces (with a little added heat and a side of patience).

I added the black carbon fiber to the pieces directly under the two center air vents, then the climate control bezel, and finally decided to tackle the center console.

So here are the pics! I'm really happy with the way everything came out (including my new Pioneer head unit!). The carbon fiber really helped give the interior the look that I wanted! The way the light reflects from the carbon fiber kinda plays tricks on my camera sensor, so the pics don't completely do it justice...when in person I think the look is rockin'! :rockon:

So tell me, what do YOU think??

UPDATE!!!
I finally put the finishing touches on my console by adding 1/16" rubber trim around the walls of the change tray beside the shifter. See what you think! Pics below...

Here's a shot of what the rest of my truck currently looks like...

See less See more
Reactions: Chris22
#5 · (Edited)
Yes, the 3M DI-NOC is an adhesive vinyl film you can buy in a roll. The carbon fiber film is actually textured to create the effect of real carbon fiber, it's not just a printed image on the vinyl. I used a hairdryer (or heat gun for all you pros :naughty:) in order to help mold the film to the contours of the center console which I was able to cover with one continuous piece. A bit tricky in some spots, but not impossible!

#12 ·
I do not have the steering wheel with controls, so instead I am currently in the process of building a custom lighted remote control panel that will have a mini 5-way joystick controller and pushbuttons to control all of my head unit functions.

#13 ·
hey man if you see this, tell me how resistant to scratching the tape is, if at all. I have scratched the top of my three drink holder center console piece (manual tranny) and was thinking about covering it with this stuff. yours looks amazing. hard to believe it's tape

thanks

#14 ·
Well, it's been on there for a month now and still looks the same as day one. I'm really impressed with the quality of the stuff, it feels pretty rugged. Maybe I'll get a small scrap piece and do a key scratch test to simulate some of the abuse it may be exposed to in an area like the console, then post before and after pics...

Also added new pics near the bottom of the OP showing the finishing touches I did on the console. Check it out!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.