Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't friggin win!!!

I go to Lowes the other day and see the Kobalt cheap boxes. I find to my surprise they make a "slim" version that is only 12in wide. I think Hell yeah!!

But the thing seems real cheap quality wise...

So I take the measurements and check my truck...

won't fit:headbang:

The bottom of the box would go down too far and hit the wheel wells as they go all the way to the back of the cab....

OK, start googling, find one that will work, a UWS slim-line. Local shop sells it for $300. Not too bad, I looked at that brand full size box and they are good sturdy quality.

Heres the kicker... its only 9.75in deep... WTF?!?!?! It stands about 5in above the wheel wells so I can slide in several sheets of 4x8 sheetrock or plywood, that is nice, but only 10in deep is NOT a lot of space... I would rather have the sheets hang our another foot from the bed(I have a bed extender) and have the box go down to the wheel wells...

Anyone have any suggestions for me? I don't want a full size 20in wide box as I have a DC so am short on bed space as it is...

Any ideas/suggestions/input would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found truckcustomizers.com.

Decent prices. If I do a full size box, should I do a lo-profile one or not??

thoughts?

I would need to get it powder-coated though!!!

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That is nice... how do you have it attached??

ETA- think the 20in difference will give me any trouble transporting the 13ft kyacks this summer :lol:

·
Registered
04 4runner
291 Posts
Its attached with J hooks that grip into the rails. Now my 13ft kayak I just put on my yakima rack. :thumbsup:

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha.

I'll have to make my sister buy me a roof rack for the kyaks as they are her kyaks and I drive them up north to maine for her only once a year :lol:

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
geoff, if I am not mistaken, you have to drill a couple holes in the toolbox, but there is no drilling in the truck bed.

·
Registered
04 4runner
291 Posts
So there's no drilling like you have to do with the universal boxes? Do you have a link to where you bought it?
No drilling in the Truck bed. My previous box was drilled in:headbang:, bastards. But you can either put on J hook one on each side or 2 on each side. I can not move the box without taking the truck with it. :lol:. I bought it at a local shop. Cheaper then trying to get it shipped yourself

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My local shop wants $300 + tax for the slim box. :disappoin

Its $205 here --> http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/K8UWS102.51.html

+ $60 shipping(and tax as I'm in NY).

do some measuring, but the 60, 63, or maybe even 66 should fit fine.

I am still going back and forth as to the full size lo-profile and then roof racks, or the slim one... with a small tool box and the straps the slim one will hold what I need, but no room for extra stuff, but then again I still have the whole back seat...

Hi, my name is Tim and I have a decision making deficit...:lol:

·
Registered
2009 Tacoma TRD Crew
33 Posts
UWS makes a low profile box powder coated. Here is mine.

I have an 2009 Taco that looks like yours (without roof rack). That is a great looking tool box ... do you remember the model no. and price ??

I was on the UWS site and there are several models that look like yours.

Thanks ..

SOS

On second thought ... was your bed a short bed ... that is what I have ??

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
I have an 2009 Taco that looks like yours (without roof rack). That is a great looking tool box ... do you remember the model no. and price ??

Thanks ..

SOS

Looks like a long bed to me but I could be mistaken

·
Registered
04 4runner
291 Posts

Thanks ..

SOS

It is the long Bed. :thumbsup: I can not remember the model number, but will try to find out. I believe the length is 64"

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Short bed is 5 ft.

I thought the long bed was 6 ft.

I am leaning towards the low-profile full size angled bottom black one now, just like murdock's.

can't seem to find it in black though...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey murdock,

Will the the UWS box fit in a short bed? As in would your box fit directly over your wheel wheels, as if it was the 5 ft. bed? Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts