Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Workin Toy
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GAH! so fed up with my goddamn truck right now. I'm ready to freaking junk it. a simple coolant change gone bad is to blame. The thermostat bolt snapped off in the freaking block. Drilled it out, bathed it in PB Blaster, vibrated it by tapping a hammer/chisel on it, put in an extractor and it started coming out. Next thing I know the fucking extractor snaps off in the bolt. JUST GREAT! :cursin:

I'm lookin on ebay and find a nice 95 with a v6, 5spd, and all the creature comforts I don't have in the 94... power windows, cruise, sunroof, power locks, A/C. I'm about ready to pull out the guiotine and chop off the 94's head.

·
Registered
87 Posts
so ur gonna scrap the truck cause you broke a bolt off? quit being a baby and just take it to someone who might actually know what they are doing

·
yota bomber
815 Posts
woah woah woah WOAH

time OUT

you are giving away your yota ... and you live in conn??!?!
if you seriously wanna get rid of her , talk to me. im from southern rhode island

·
Workin Toy
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was joking about getting rid of it, I'm just venting my frustration. I'll take another shot at it in the morning.

·
rookie
796 Posts
I know your pain man, I was excited about installing a pricey DC sports header on my 240sx and snapped of an ex. mani. stud in the block.....along with a fookin easy out. bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad day. I made up a lot of cool words that day .

·
A legend in his own mind.
232 Posts
ya i no ur feeling its best to stop and try later cause if you dont u just mess it up more with ur anger

·
oh-pin-yun-A-ted
Pickup
1,407 Posts
got my hopes up when i clicked on this one....

i want another yota

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
if aenough of the bolt shank is protruding form the bluck, get a dremel and cut a slot into it, then us a flat tip screwdrive to turn ot out :) or not, just a suggestion, if space allows.

·
Workin Toy
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's shaved off right on the manifold. I'm going to take a closer look at it in the morning. I will see if I can weld another bolt on it but I'm afraid I might warp the intake manifold or it just won't hold. If that fails I will try the dremel trick. I will have to cut into the manifold some, but I can deal with that later.

·
march mudding soon!
toyota pick up
188 Posts
back off the motor now! i did that and broke the shit out of my mazda now i look at and i feel dirty

·
Registered
1989 Pickup 4WD
586 Posts
I feel your pain :thumbdown :rolleyes: I had a transmission fill plug that someone put RTV sealent on. Took me about 5 hours with a grinder to grind flush with the housing and use a chisel to back it out. :whatwhat: I wanted the truck gone so badly when it happened, I was ready to give it away!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dude I will take your truck for free if you will give it away. I love to work on shit like that and I think that I would like it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I had the same bolt break on mine. I kept trying bigger and bigger extractors until I finally said screw it and just drilled it out and rethreaded it to a slightly bigger bolt. The extractors kept feeling like they wanted to break so I stopped before they did. Then I Neversiezed the bolts I put back in.

Try a really good quality carbide drill bit to drill out the broken extractor. Also try to center punch the extractor if you can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
heat the hell out of it with a torch before you get another hold on it to try and pull it out. when the bolt heats up, it expands, crushing the rust and corrosion around it. After that, it should come out easier.

·
Workin Toy
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm afraid of warping or cracking the aluminum with the heat trick, I tried centerpunching and drilling the extractor in there but I could barely put a dent in it with either of my drill sets or the drill from the extractor set. I was going to dremel it but didn't want to muck up the manifold either if possible. So I actually just said eff-it and limped it down the road to the mechanic. He's tearing into it right now. Hopefully he'll have better luck than I did. I should hear from him within an hour (i hope)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I wouldn't be too quick with the heat either. Aluminum gets ruined in a hurry.

They just might have the good bits there that will be able to drill into the tool steel.

The only reason I have them is becauase my father was a machinest/machine mechanic and I ended up with a lot of stuff when he passed away.

Good luck.

·
Workin Toy
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, Just got the truck back, it took them 1.5hrs to drill out the old extractor and then they helicoil'ed it. They charged me for 2 drill bits too. I was expecting to hear them say they broke at least 3. They purged (all water @ the time) the system, mixed in some coolant and bled it. They pressure tested it and found the top heater hose was loose. Tightened it back up and tested again with good results.

$262 repair bill. Well worth it. My frustration was about $500's worth. LOL

·
Workin Toy
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't have that long. I need the truck for tomorrow nights snowstorm that rolling in. There was/is a manifold on there right now but it'd been too late.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts