Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im going to get a whole new sound system, tired of stock sound system. Im currently running a sub with the stock system pretty bad to tell you the truth, highs are horrible, and gets distorted very easily. ive been thinking about getting Focal components in the front and 6x9's in the rear, running a kicker amp. im looking for very clear sounding system for all types of music, is focal overkill? i found out that all my speakers are 6x9's in my 2005 toyota camry le, and the tweeters from the component sets are going in the stock location in the top of the dash. so what speakers do you guys suggest and sound good and have experienced with?

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bumppp, anyone? thers got to be someone who loves there speakers

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would suggest getting an adapter plate to fit a nice set of 6.5" components instead of trying to find a decent set of 6x9's. As far a budget components go you can't beat Pioneer's PRS line, but they, like any good set of components wouldn't really sound that great until you give them their own amp. You might also want to look into a nice set of CDT components, but don't go for their budget sets, they just aren't worth it.

For an amp I would suggest Sundown Audio, Kicker makes some great amps, and I really like their mono amps, they are power houses, but Sundown has better options as far as crossover's go, their build quality is over the top, and the customer service is damn near godly.

http://www.sundownaudio.com/1004.html

If you go to any of the top car audio forums and ask a question with sundown in the title you can bet that Jacob, the owner of sundown will be there to personally answer your questions.

You might try caraudio.com first, but beware that their are quite a few trolls on that forum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would choose the focals if you have the money. their top of the line stuff sounds really nice. Another brand i would check out would be rainbows. their SLC line is really nice and affordable.

As far as the 6x9s are, id agree with ^^^ and get adapters for 6.5s, so that way you can run a nice pair of seperates, or for the front at least. the back doesnt matter as much, because its mostly rear fill.

Sub wise i would check out a brand named Fi. they make good subs

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes i would also recommend sundown amps. I had 2 of their SAZ1500 amps and it used to slam my 15 all day without getting hot. Cant wait till his new line of amps come out

·
Team MHC
2007 Impreza 2.5i
38 Posts
Image Dynamics makes a great set of 6x9 components.

though not the cheapest they will impress you. huge midbass and great top end.

the other option is to do a plate to mount 6.5 mids.

The Focal are a good brand but most tend to find their high a bit harsh and Bright.

Look into Hertz, Hybrid Audio, Morel, Image Dynamics, DLS, Dynaudio all very good brands with great speakers.

for amps thought I have not worked with Sundown amps I have heard good things... other brands to look at:

Arc Audio KS and KS mini's
Hertz EP line
Audison SRX
Zapco
JL HD

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
I have Arc Audio Arc 6000 components, not their KS line, and those things are sweet. I think it cost me around $270 installed.

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just bought a new headunit today the new Alpine CDA-105, its freaking awsome. i dont think im going to get new speakers, the stock non-jbl speakers are fine. i guess its the stock headunit that makes everything sound like crap, now it sounds so crisp and clear.

·
Registered
Dodge Caravan SE
310 Posts
I guess it all depends on how much you really like your sound. I started with a sub and overtime it just wasn't enough. I ended up going from a 300W Pioneer to 2x 1000W Audiobahns and I have recently upgraded my factory speakers to Eclipse SP6900's as I wanted a simple factory type install. My fronts and rears are both 6x9 so this was perfect. The advantage of the Point Source series is the ability to run the speakers either as Coax or a passive Component setup. The difference is phenomal and the addition of tweeters on the dash made it all worthwhile. The soundstaging is much more impressive. I purchased the SP6900's at $130cdn a set and am currently running them off a Kicker KX650.4. This is a fairly cheap upgrade but the end result is night and day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts