Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm wanting to put some HID headlights in my truck. I'm looking at the plug-n-play kits, and I want to keep my high beams (so I'll need the bi-xenons). I'll probably go with a 4300K bulb, maybe 6000K at max. I'd love to see some pics of what you've got, or pics of beam patterns, or something.

Now before people start chiming in about how Plug-n-play kits are junk, you need projectors, and you need to go to hidplanet... please don't. I don't have any problem doing mods to the truck like that, but I've only seem one pic of a projo conversion on an 05+, and IMO, it would NOT look good on a silver truck. Honestly I would MUCH rather go with a TL conversion over the plug-n-play, but I really don't want my truck looking bug-eyed either. If you have pics, please share them because I'd love to see them. But if you're just going to bust my balls or call me an idiot, please keep it to yourself.

So anyways... who has them, and let's see some pics or hear how you like them. Thanks. :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
What advantage do HID lights have over factory headlights? I know a lot of luxury car makers use them in their automobiles.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Count said:
What advantage do HID lights have over factory headlights? I know a lot of luxury car makers use them in their automobiles.
Light output and quality of light. Night and day difference comparded to halogen lights.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TRD Hunter said:
im looking at a 10000K kit, they are expensive but totoally worth it
IMO... anything over 6500K is just for show. You lose so many lumens when you start climbing up that high in color temp, that you're just spending a few hundred bucks on the color and not the light output. You probably already know that, but I just wanted to mention it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
yeah your right, but those cheap "blue bulbs" at autozone put out ZERO light and just leave a blue affect, For Instance:at night if you turn your blinker on you could see amber light on the road over the blue bulb...i qiuckly put the stock bubls back in...well this imte im going with a real HID kit, so i wont lose the amount of light and still get that Blue look, which is what im after, not ad much as more light...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Tried2Live said:
IMO... anything over 6500K is just for show. You lose so many lumens when you start climbing up that high in color temp, that you're just spending a few hundred bucks on the color and not the light output. You probably already know that, but I just wanted to mention it.
Very true above 6000-6500 celvin (sp?) the light output diminishes drastically. They look very blue/purple but are not very effective. 5000-6000 will have the best light output.

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
What about PIAA lights? Are they much better than the "blue xenon" you find at auto zone and so forth? The ones I was looking at were like $80. I was thinking of upgrading but don't know enough about the product yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
707 Posts
R0dzilla7 said:
What about PIAA lights? Are they much better than the "blue xenon" you find at auto zone and so forth? The ones I was looking at were like $80. I was thinking of upgrading but don't know enough about the product yet. Any advice would be appreciated.
PIAA makes a great product. They do have a line of cheaper lights so be sure what you are looking at. Most PIAA product can be found online much cheaper than in the stores. Ebay is a great source.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The reflectors of the Tacoma's headlamp assemblies were more than likely not designed with HID lamps in mind. Given that you'll probably have a your "coolness" factor, but end up scattering more light in peoples eyes than on the road where it belongs.

I see many Hon-duhs running around like that.

But I'm sure there are plenty of kits out there you can retro-fit into the Tacoma. Post pics for us if you are successful.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wrxman69 said:
The reflectors of the Tacoma's headlamp assemblies were more than likely not designed with HID lamps in mind. Given that you'll probably have a your "coolness" factor, but end up scattering more light in peoples eyes than on the road where it belongs.

I see many Hon-duhs running around like that.

But I'm sure there are plenty of kits out there you can retro-fit into the Tacoma. Post pics for us if you are successful.
Yeah I put PIAA's H4 on mine without doing anything to the actual assembly and true enough i ended up just scattering the light all over the place. It's neither a problem or a plus just changing to PIAA bulbs. That being the case you should just save those 40 bucks until you can get a real HID setup that you'll like on ur truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts