Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything you'd go for if not Corolla and why? Starting the process and trying to get a sense of choices. Thinking that y'all will know the lay of the land. I'm in U.S. Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm seriously at the very beginning. Are they different enough to serve different wants? Can you give me an example please?
I'll give an actual answer, not a non-answer.

Toyota: Reliablity, resale, fuel economy and fairly good driving dynamics.
Mazda: Premium feel inside, used to be class leading handling but not anymore apparently.
Elantra: Tons of tech for low price
Civic: Best handing IMO, good reliability with the 2.0 (Avoid the 1.5T)
Sentra: I'd just avoid Nissan IMO.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
624 Posts
I'll give an actual answer, not a non-answer.

Toyota: Reliablity, resale, fuel economy and fairly good driving dynamics.
Mazda: Premium feel inside, used to be class leading handling but not anymore apparently.
Elantra: Tons of tech for low price
Civic: Best handing IMO, good reliability with the 2.0 (Avoid the 1.5T)
Sentra: I'd just avoid Nissan IMO.
Agreed but also avoid Hyundai poor resale and poor reliability. Also the interior feel is cheap. Honda 1.5 is deadly avoid at all cost ..

·
Registered
624 Posts
What about Kia Optima, if it's considered to be in same class as above named cars. Solid value, reviews have been good.

If it were my $: Honda, Toyota, Kia.
Hyundai owns Kia you get a lot for your money don't let me tell you not to get one but reliability has yet to be proven and they don't hold resale value.

My money is Honda toyota Kia too if i had to pick from those 3 ... but Honda 1.5 is bad and it's the only PowerPlant I wanted out of the 10th gens (si or Hatchback sport 6mt)

·
Registered
67 Posts
For me? Toyota has a long history of reliability so that is their main selling point.

From a mechanical/functional? A reasonable accessibility hatchback, that already knocks out some. The engine is a larger displacement, mechanically simple and low stressed design, so less to go wrong and less likely something will and, less costly if something does.

Plus respectable models if you want something sporty.

·
Registered
624 Posts
For me? Toyota has a long history of reliability so that is their main selling point.

From a mechanical/functional? A reasonable accessibility hatchback, that already knocks out some. The engine is a larger displacement, mechanically simple and low stressed design, so less to go wrong and less likely something will and, less costly if something does.

Plus respectable models if you want something sporty.
Plus the 12th Gen corolla hatch and sedan are so sexy looking I don't think I've ever seen an econobox look so sporty and appealing.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord
78 Posts
Omg I remember you from my Accord forum! 😂 did you decide that you wanted a compact over a midsize?
Elantra is Hyundai so you know it's complete garbage, they have never been known for their reliability, and they have terrible resale values to prove it. People only buy them for the warranty. The Sentra has a CVT, which, Nissan's CVT's fail constantly. You can't go too wrong with a Civic or a Corolla- the Civic is getting a redesign for 2022, and the Corolla has just recently gotten a fresh redesign for the new generation a year or two ago. I would only consider those two, and I would suggest a test drive to get a feel for their differences and which one would be a better fit for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Purchase or lease? If lease, buy the one that you like the best when you test drive it. If purchase and especially if you are going to keep it a while, the Civic or Corolla would be the only 2 I would get. Everyone else has covered the basics so far.

I will say that my 2021 SE is a million times better in just about everyway than my '17 LE. The way it rides, handles, feels, sounds and comfort. For me it's a night and day difference. If you do go with a Corolla, I would go with an SE or XSE for the powertrain alone.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Something hatchback. Why? More useable cargo space for the times you carry/buy something big or long.
Corolla hatchback, Civic Hatchback.

No one mentioned Toyota C-HR or Honda HR-V. These two are considered “cross over” vehicles, and are small. The trunk area Is small in these cars.

Prius/Prius Prime should be considered, if open to hybrid or Plug-In hybrid. Might even be able to get a better deal on either Prius model, as sales are hurting.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Corolla, 2ZZ-GE Swap, 1997 Toyota Rav4
61 Posts
Hyundai/Kia are ok but I wouldn't hold on to one over 70-80k miles. They're making a lot of stylish cars with a lot of tech and features for the money. Nissan is just nope. Mazda will probably be fine, but my local dealership charged absurd amounts for repairs on my 1st gen mazda3 when I was in college. It was decently reliable but had some issues. Hondas will be fine but they're ugly and cheap feeling inside. For me, out of the lot, I'd have a Corolla hatch. They look ace, and the hatch fits just about anything. 2nd choice would be an Elantra GT or a 3rd gen Rio.

Also if you go for Kia/Hyundai be sure to check for recalls. They don't have a lot, but the ones they have had were massive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Omg I remember you from my Accord forum! 😂 did you decide that you wanted a compact over a midsize?
Elantra is Hyundai so you know it's complete garbage, they have never been known for their reliability, and they have terrible resale values to prove it. People only buy them for the warranty. The Sentra has a CVT, which, Nissan's CVT's fail constantly. You can't go too wrong with a Civic or a Corolla- the Civic is getting a redesign for 2022, and the Corolla has just recently gotten a fresh redesign for the new generation a year or two ago. I would only consider those two, and I would suggest a test drive to get a feel for their differences and which one would be a better fit for you.
Hey! Yeah, realized the size of "compact" is a lot bigger these days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP never coming back. My reply still stands, what does the OP want in their next vehicle?
I'm back! I need a good car for about an hour commute. I want something that is updated. Don't need too much space (no kids or anything). Have the budget for the options mentioned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anything you'd go for if not Corolla and why? Starting the process and trying to get a sense of choices. Thinking that y'all will know the lay of the land. I'm in U.S. Thanks.
I think it looks the best inside and outside, but just my opinion. Comfortable, reliable fun enough when you need it be, and comes with great standard technology and safety features.

I personally have a manual hatchback and love it.

The Civic and Mazda3 are also great cars. Agree with the other commenter that I would stay away from the Sentra and Elantra. Will also note that the Corolla, Civic especially hold great resale value if you’re buying and not leasing.

At the end of the day for just feel like the Corolla really stays within itself and just has more character than the other models you listed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 21 Corolla SE. The Sentra was nice but doesn't show as reliable. It also made my wife extremely car sick on the test drive. The Mazda looks like a shoe to me, everyone and their brother has a Civic and the new Elantra didn't appeal to me, plus it's the first new model year which usually comes with problems. I have 2 Kia's and they both have had recalls and "product enhancement" bulletins. They had to extend the warranties to 15yr/150,000 miles because it's likely the engine or transmission will die by then or barely make it past it. This is how I ended up with the Corolla. Hopefully it's as reliable as they usually are and looks really nice in my opinion and is fun and easy to drive.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts