Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a used 2018 Toyota Camry LE and its beautiful it belonged to an old couple and probably never got mistreated in its life and only had 50k on it when i bought it and i love the car but when ever i go to accelerate to get onto a highway or freeway it goes from church mouse to sounding like a volkswagon bug and ive owned a lot of cars and this is just vulgar...if this is what toyota designed it to sound like they really dropped the ball cause it almost makes me wanna sell the car....i really like quiet cars and when its just running its super quiet...what gives?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most likely your direct injectors kicked in when you stomped on the gas. They are loud, and the 2.5L I4 seems to be louder than the 3.5L V6 when under load. I noticed the sound difference between the rental I4 Camry and my personal V6 Camry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah i got the 2.5 I4 cause i wanted the economy but its actually not that much better than the v6 on gas and had i known the v6 is quieter thats what i would have bought....thanks for the input!

· Registered
1,408 Posts
yeah i got the 2.5 I4 cause i wanted the economy but its actually not that much better than the v6 on gas and had i known the v6 is quieter thats what i would have bought....thanks for the input!
Fuel economy is 80% on the driver and you'd be getting worse MPG with the V6.

I do the same 20 mile drive every morning and my MPG ranges from 22 to 40 depending on how I drive and whether or not I hit all the red lights.

· Registered
2021 Toyota Camry XSE V6
1,044 Posts
I4 is definitely more fuel efficient. I’m seeing I4 drivers post MPGs in the 40s regularly while I’m usually getting 15-30…33 on a highway only day…and I’m proud of my conservative feather foot driving too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 Camry XSE V6
307 Posts

I do the same 20 mile drive every morning and my MPG ranges from 22 to 40 depending on how I drive and whether or not I hit all the red lights.
Yup....what you said...

Reactions: ALB4

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)

When I bought the car I was averaging 21 mpg and never changed my driving habits one bit and over a period of 2-3 weeks it jumped up to 25 by itself but I can't see mine ever getting anywhere near 40 on its best day which it also says in the owners manual it should get

· Registered
2021 Camry SE-2009 Camry V6
1,388 Posts
I deeply regret getting the I4 SE due to the noise factor of the engine. My 09 LE 3.5L V6 was much smoother and quieter. I got 26 mpg with 135K on the car and original spark plugs. Under same conditions my 2021 SE gets 31 mpg. Styling and comfort are great but the rough vibrating I4 (compared to the smooth V6) and while the I4 has plenty of pep (more HP than my first Camry V6 1997), I wish I would sprung for a V6 XLE. The gas savings are NOT worth the noise and vibration factors which I have not gotten used to in 9,200 miles.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i agree and totally know what your talking about ! my Camry has a vibration when it gets above 60 and it seems like its from the front wheel drive but my car is really low miles and practically new ...i figured toyota would solve all my problems so i traded in my mercedes convertible for this camry and for the most part like you said its a reeally nice car but all the noise and vibration on a just slightly rough road is way too excessive ...if toyota listens to theyre customers at all ...come on fix the noise at least...i paid 25,000 dollars for the loudest car ive ever owned next to my Dodge Charger i had in high school and it had a 440 in it....this is almost unbelievable

· Registered
1,408 Posts
When I bought the car I was averaging 21 mpg and never changed my driving habits one bit and over a period of 2-3 weeks it jumped up to 25 by itself but I can't see mine ever getting anywhere near 40 on its best day which it also says in the owners manual it should get
No two drives are exactly the same, even if you think your driving habits didn't change. Idling, stopping at stop signs/red lights, running the A/C, opening the windows, panic stops, launching/accelerating hard, accelerating too slowly (seriously), outside temperature, and a hundred other things all impact fuel economy.

Set the cruise somewhere below 70mph on an open highway and 40MPG is easy. But if you spend 20 minutes in stop-and-go traffic, and then jump on the highway, it's gonna take awhile for your average to come back up.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the V6 XSE. When you stomp on it you just feel the power. The 4 cyclinder is definitely going to be louder. I here the difference when I’m in my wife 21 Acura RDX 4cylinder turbo.
i have had 2 other Camry's and they were quiet and the one with the v6 was fast and didnt make hardly any noise except when it broke the front tires loose if you stomped it to the floor and this new generation camry is not all that fast and just loud....i just dont understand how it had to get louder for better economy i should have test drove it more but you cant really get too crazy with the guy from the car lot riding next to you

· Registered
134 Posts
I work for a rental company and drive the I4 Camrys pretty often. I have always complained about how loud the engine was when accelerating. I wondered if foam under the hood or additional insulation would help with the loud noise. My 7.5 gen I4 was not nearly as loud as the 8th gen. My 2015 Avalon is much more quiet than the 4 cylinder Camry. I'm glad I chose the Avalon over it.

· Registered
295 Posts
I don't get this thread at all. First, our '18 LE isn't that loud and sounds awesome when revved. Second, it's plenty quick. Third, the gas mileage is fantastic. And, fourth, it doesn't have a life-shortening turbo.

The only quibble I have with the car is that I could not get a manual transmission. That's the only thing that would improve the driveability of the car IMHO.

· Registered
👽 AP3X e210 (m20a-fks) *6mt*💯
3,796 Posts
Because...

Sky Vision care Goggles Vehicle Motor vehicle

Reactions: Paul3637

· Registered
221 Posts
I don't get this thread at all. First, our '18 LE isn't that loud and sounds awesome when revved. Second, it's plenty quick. Third, the gas mileage is fantastic. And, fourth, it doesn't have a life-shortening turbo.

The only quibble I have with the car is that I could not get a manual transmission. That's the only thing that would improve the driveability of the car IMHO.
Common sense always prevails! clap
Any YES, I do miss the option of a manual!

· Registered
740 Posts
i have had 2 other Camry's and they were quiet and the one with the v6 was fast and didnt make hardly any noise except when it broke the front tires loose if you stomped it to the floor and this new generation camry is not all that fast and just loud....i just dont understand how it had to get louder for better economy i should have test drove it more but you cant really get too crazy with the guy from the car lot riding next to you
If you like to drive “crazy,” you should have got the V6 or something other than a Camry. You should be able to accelerate how you would drive normally even with the salesman in the car.
You normally should not need to put the pedal all the way to the floor just to merge onto the highway. It’s not as if it’s a 3 cylinder Mistsubishi Mirage or an old Geo Metro,
If you have some emergency that requires 100% effort to accelerate, you can deal with the noise that one time. It shouldn’t be a frequent thing,

The hybrid will also be quieter in normal driving because the electric torque boost means you don’t need to rev the engine as hard to accelerate at the same pace as the non hybrid gas engine.

· Registered
740 Posts
I work for a rental company and drive the I4 Camrys pretty often. I have always complained about how loud the engine was when accelerating. I wondered if foam under the hood or additional insulation would help with the loud noise. My 7.5 gen I4 was not nearly as loud as the 8th gen. My 2015 Avalon is much more quiet than the 4 cylinder Camry. I'm glad I chose the Avalon over it.
You can test drive or read reviews on the new Lexus ES250 with the same 4 cylinder motor and see if more sound insulation is enough to mask the noise.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts