Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just figured i'd start something to see what you use your taco for, why you bought it. i'll start.

i bought it for a daily driver year round, to haul my toolbox, and off-roading/camping. does everything i want it to quite well.

-Mike

·
1nDu57r14L 74c0
'06 Tacoma dbl 4x4
115 Posts
I wanted my first vehicle purchase to be a truck bc with my camaro I can't tow/haul/go camping/offroading/comfortably seat ppl if I have to. When my mom bought her 02, I fell in love with her tacoma. I also want something that is going to last a long time. It does everything I need it to. :)

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
I previously had a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited (fully loaded basically). It was a nice truck. I had exhaust in it. Which made it sound even more raw, plus cold air intake.

I had a TV in there with three 12 inch subs. It was a pimp mobile. Tinted all around.

The downside to the truck was that it was full of dents and scratches. I took it off-roading one time (which I will never do with the Tacoma) and it was never the same.

Every 3 months I needed all my brakes replaced because the freakin' rotors would "warp" like crazy and make my car vibrate like mad when I pressed the brakes at high speeds.

I traded in the truck and took a HUGE hit. $6000 negative. It aint a thing to a boss like me. It did hurt though! LOL.

I went to Hawaii over the summer of 2005. I saw a lot of Tacomas over there. All of them were lifted and tinted. I was like DAMN. So when I came back home, I went to look at the 2005 Tacomas. I jocked it. I looked every where for the exact truck I have right now. Approximately 5 dealers. I finally found one and bought it.

That is my Tacoma story! :heart:

·
Toyota Parts Manager
138 Posts
AlpineJLAudio said:
That is my Tacoma story! :heart:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! You're such a romantic.

My reasoning:

I lost my 2004 new body style F-150 Super Cab((*see pic below of it in my garage a couple days after the storm) to Hurricane Katrina(along with my house and everything in it), So I needed some new wheels. I work for a Toyota Dealer and never really considered the Tacoma. I'm a big guy and until now have always had big trucks. I was considering the Tundra Double cab and also another F-150 Crew Cab. Reality, in the form of $3.00 gas prices, slapped me in the face so I decided to look into something smaller and more economical but still powerful enough to tow my boat. As we were reopening the dealership(it got flooded too and we lost all of our inventory), many of us "salaried" workers were out there washing newly received cars and getting them ready to go on the front line. I just happened to hop into a Tacoma to drive it up front. It was gold and the only other one was a silver one. 2 hours later the silver one was parked in MY parking spot in the back with a temp tag in it. LMAO

*Pic of my Ford

·
Registered
236 Posts
I race bmx bicycles and needed something to haul bikes around in. I bought an 05 honda accord v6 ex coupe with leather and sunroof all out the door for 27200. When I got around to searching for a bike rack, it was nearly impossible to find something that didn't have a downside to it. My dealer also worked for toyota and i had mentioned that i loved the look of the new tacomas. With only 6 days of ownership on the news accord and only 425 miles later, we worked out a deal on the tacoma and i took a big loss, they gave me 22500, about 5000 of lost money. Oh well, life goes on but so far i am more than satisfied with my tacoma. I just bought the deezee step bars from the dealer today and I must say, they are easy to install and make a huge difference in appearance.

G

·
Why did I buy a Tacoma? Simple answer. Was getting 14-15 MPG from my 2004 HEMI Ram QC 4X4 and gas was at $2.50 and heading for $3.00 a gallon( and going back to $3.00 in the near future as crude oil is already at $63 and rising during the time it should be dropping - gas is going to be VERY expensive this summer ). I sold while I could still get value for my Ram. Lost money on all the accessories I put on BUT got actual owed value on it so I lost nothing there.

The Tacoma offered a V6 that was powerful enough for my boat towing needs, the new design was big enough for me to be comfortable in( 6' 3" 300lbs ), and the biggest thing was MPG was rated at 20+ highway and word was it could get even better. I got into the Tacoma without owing anything on the Ram being rolled into it as said and it dropped my monthly payment a lot as well. Less to feed and less to own is the biggest reason why I bought the truck.

In hindsight, knowing all the bad things about this truck I now know that I would never have expected from a Toyota, I wish I had not bought it. When it comes to the MPG increase I wanted, the interior room, and towing ability the truck is fine. Other then that I am extremely disappointed in this truck as well as Toyota for the way they refuse to acknowledge and deal with all the problems. Poor quality is an understatement. Part of it is my fault for buying a 1st year release model but the mfg should stand behind these problems and they are not. This will be the first and last Toyota I own.

·
Seattle Seahawks Rule
2005 Toyota Tacoma
222 Posts
I did not like the Nissan Dealership where I was working a deal for a Titan DC

·
Registered
344 Posts
I needed a fishing wagon. I'm a fly fisherman and frequently I take my truck off road to get to some of the more remote parts of rivers, where fishing is best. I owned a '99 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4WD for six years. It was a great truck and the only problem I ever had with it was the mass air-flow sensor going out after about five years.

The only two things about it that bothered me were the seats -- the absolute worst of any vehicle, ever...and the fact that is was only an extended cab (they didn't offer double cabs in '99.) If it had been a double cab, I'd still be driving it. It was green, which is my favorite color.

So when I bought this new one, I had been considering one for a couple of months. I actually looked around at full size trucks, thinking I'd at least consider them. They're just not my style. Could have bought a Tundra for less than a Tacoma. But the Tundra looks like something an old man would drive. I'm not old enough for one.

So my choices came down to the Tacoma, or a Honda Accord like my wife's V6, with leather, etc. Some days I wish I would have bought the Honda (mostly, these are the days that I have to fill up the Tacoma).

It's good to have a truck. It's nice to be able to haul some things in back if need be. My son encouraged me to get another truck (he's four, but he likes trucks!) Dogs like trucks. And I can throw my wet waders and boots into the back when I leave the river. So I'm happy with the truck.

But that Honda Accord is the best car out there as far as I'm concerned.

I've briefly considered getting rid of it and taking the hit, but my wife would go nuts, I think. So I guess I'll hold onto it for a little while.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a 87 Toyota Pick-up, then 02 DC tacoma, when 05 came out I fell in love so we are meant for each other....

2005 Double Cab 4X4 Long bed Gooooooooooooood for everything period, Milleage, Fun, Daily commute, and escape from my wife.

·
Registered
2005 tacoma trd
866 Posts
this is my second toyota tacoma :thumbup: 4x4 had my 97 for 6 years need to say anymore

·
Badass Cat
92 Posts
My '98 ZR2 Blazer had 175K on it and was starting to fall apart. I was looking for a new truck and went to the Toyota dealership to look at an '04 Taco, but when I drove the '05 I was sold.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
I followed this truck from the first spy pics in 03 to its release. I ordered one in fall 05 and waited 2 more months. It was worth it.

Fun to drive
Reliable
4x4 system that is one of the best out there
Composite bed
TRD Sport package
Fast
Nice interior
Smooth & stable on the road
Can still off-road well
Can seat 4 or 5 without problem (Dcab)
Can tow a 2 place snowmobile trailer or 19 ft boat without a problem
Get 20 mpg highway, even better in summer
Most say she's quite the looker too

And of course a 6spd manual tranny, mech LSD rear axle w/ no nanny VSC & TRAC, a true 'drivers' truck like a BMW, but with a bed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was tired of dumping money into my 96 S10 Zr2. It seemed like there was always something wrong with that truck. I wanted something more reliable and based on past trucks I knew the Tacoma would be a reliable truck.

·
Registered
257 Posts
NH05TACOMA said:
Why did I buy a Tacoma? Simple answer. Was getting 14-15 MPG from my 2004 HEMI Ram QC 4X4 and gas was at $2.50 and heading for $3.00 a gallon( and going back to $3.00 in the near future as crude oil is already at $63 and rising during the time it should be dropping - gas is going to be VERY expensive this summer ). I sold while I could still get value for my Ram. Lost money on all the accessories I put on BUT got actual owed value on it so I lost nothing there.

The Tacoma offered a V6 that was powerful enough for my boat towing needs, the new design was big enough for me to be comfortable in( 6' 3" 300lbs ), and the biggest thing was MPG was rated at 20+ highway and word was it could get even better. I got into the Tacoma without owing anything on the Ram being rolled into it as said and it dropped my monthly payment a lot as well. Less to feed and less to own is the biggest reason why I bought the truck.

In hindsight, knowing all the bad things about this truck I now know that I would never have expected from a Toyota, I wish I had not bought it. When it comes to the MPG increase I wanted, the interior room, and towing ability the truck is fine. Other then that I am extremely disappointed in this truck as well as Toyota for the way they refuse to acknowledge and deal with all the problems. Poor quality is an understatement. Part of it is my fault for buying a 1st year release model but the mfg should stand behind these problems and they are not. This will be the first and last Toyota I own.

You feel exactly how I feel, What makes it worse is that I still have my Dodge and everytime I drive it I feel like its a much better built truck. I noticed today my driver seat is already showing wear in the Tacoma, people say the Dodge interior looks cheap, but at 60k miles its not showing wear and wrinkles.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts