Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Old HT User
15 HL
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the reason are for getting a HL - kids, dogs, luggage, kayaks, towing, camping, drag racing, track speed trials, tornado chasing, other? :D

My primary reasons: snowboarding and motorcycle towing.
With my last vehicle I had to put the boards on the top and got kind of annoyed with it. With the HL I can fit 3 boards inside, 3 people, and a weekend worth of gear without a hiccup. Also it's tall enough to go through any snow.
Next on the list is to get a hitch and a small trailer for the bike - planning a couple of track days this summer. :)

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,051 Posts
It's larger, quieter, and much more comfortable than a RAV4. :D

My wife loves her 2nd Gen because it reminds her of our past '04 Sienna. I like it because it is comfortable and isn't a minivan. :lol:

But, it isn't tall enough for all snow. Getting high centered is a big issue around here (had times I couldn't get into the driveway because it would start to lift the wheels off the ground). That's one reason we have the Tacoma. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,704 Posts
I wanted a vehicle to take off-road that would provide excellent gas mileage city and highway, but also provide enough interior room so that I could haul the camping gear I wanted and also comfortably sleep inside. That's exactly what I got in the Highlander. As I've mentioned in many threads, the sacrifice is not being able to get to 10% of those off-road locations in need of a true 4x4, but for that 90% and all my other uses I have absolutely no regret buying the Highlander. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
It has better acceleration, handling and feel than my old 4Runner had. It has great power too. The 4Runner had a heavy feel to it which made braking and acceleration more of a chore. I wanted a more luxury interior with driver tech options too.

I also like chasing tornadoes but do that from my sofa on youtube :D

·
Noobsquad
JZZ30/JZS160/GSU55
51 Posts
The wife wanted one! I wanted a 150 Prado (Lexus GX) but she didn't want to drive a truck but it's great and the kids love the rear screen.

·
Old HT User
15 HL
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made a trip from NE OH to NC today - conquered The Dragon - 129.
So another reason for this car is long distance travel. So smooth and comfy. I do wish the seats were a bit better, but that's a model specific thread for another day. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,704 Posts
I just drove back from Vegas the other day with a passenger on board and all our luggage and camera equipment, etc., and I drove 70 to 75 MPH the whole way with the A/C blasting, all terrain tires, and only used 1/3 of a tank to get home (244 miles). Under those conditions, just try to get that kind of mileage out of any other SUV in its size class...just try. That's one of the main reasons I bought the Highlander: Great mileage!

·
Registered
'16 XLE
51 Posts
I'm at the age now where I wanted something a bit bigger and more comfortable than my Tacoma, or the wife's CRV. So instead of a Lincoln Town Car I went with the Highlander. Not to mention that once you have AWD in this climate there's no going back. Gas mileage is an unexpected--and welcomed--bonus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why Highlander?

Couldn't find a topic on this. What made you buy your highlander? Did you look at any other vehicles? Are you happy about the decision or regret it?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Couldn't find a topic on this. What made you buy your highlander? Did you look at any other vehicles? Are you happy about the decision or regret it?
I would say interior styling, exterior styling, reliability, and finally, price.

I did not see any SUV with any better interior styling at any price, IMHO.

No regrets.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,837 Posts
Expected reliability is major for me. And yes, they did a great job on the dash/interior. I like it more than the 5 or so other suv's in the range and this one was my favorite.
The outside is ok, you can convince yourself that it's good. In general it's a generic look, but the grill and side lights sticking out are not only odd, I can see an argument for it to get damaged more than a flush or recessed design. FYI, I'm not making that claim :)

If you don't like something off the bat, it's a process of forgetting the dislikes and seeing the positive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would say interior styling, exterior styling, reliability, and finally, price.

I did not see any SUV with any better interior styling at any price, IMHO.

No regrets.
I agree 100%. I think the interior is what sold me. I think most of the similar sized SUVs out all have a similar exterior style, so that wasn't that big of a deal. And after working on his engine for a few years, I've seen how reliable it is. I haven't seen many things go wrong that wasn't due to operator error/not maintaining it.

·
Registered
13 Highlander AWD
694 Posts
For me it was a number of things. First, I wanted something that could tow a small travel trailer but was not a pickup truck. Secondly, I wanted a vehicle I could depend on for about 15 years (I'm 55 so that will put me around 70 when it goes). Lastly, I bought my 2013 HL new the same month they introduced the 3rd gen model, so I think I got a pretty good deal on it. Overall I have been pretty happy with it and I hope it will be reliable for another14 years. Interesting, I will probably be buying a Sienna at the end of the year to replace my aging Grand Caravan. I like mini vans for their ride and cargo handling, and for what its worth, the Sienna appears to be the best one out there at this time.

·
Registered
981 Posts
For me it was the driver tech options that are available on the Limited edition. Heck, I sold a perfectly good 2011 Highlander just to have that stuff. I sold a really cool 4Runner to get my first HL because I wanted the better ride and handling. The one, oh well, in that transaction is that I am about an inch lower in the HL compared to my 4Runner....Also, Being a long time Toyota buyer it is the reliability too that I have come to depend on. The interior of the latest HL is very good IMO and it will be tough to beat in my future purchases. I may have to start looking into Lexus now to perhaps upgrade on the plush interiors and tech stuff and other little niceties that are a must have now for me :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
1. Comfort. Toyota seats fit my wife. The Rav 4 was too small for my long legs.
2. Economy. The other SUV's we considered cost more per mile to drive.
3. Reliability. Consumer reports puts HL #1 &2 in the mid size SUV category.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For me it was the driver tech options that are available on the Limited edition. Heck, I sold a perfectly good 2011 Highlander just to have that stuff. I sold a really cool 4Runner to get my first HL because I wanted the better ride and handling. The one, oh well, in that transaction is that I am about an inch lower in the HL compared to my 4Runner....Also, Being a long time Toyota buyer it is the reliability too that I have come to depend on. The interior of the latest HL is very good IMO and it will be tough to beat in my future purchases. I may have to start looking into Lexus now to perhaps upgrade on the plush interiors and tech stuff and other little niceties that are a must have now for me
My mom has a Lexus RX350 and I still like the highlander more. I don't like the mouse button control in the Lexus. Yeah the ride is probably a bit quieter. But I like the styling more oh the HL.

·
blissfully biased
79 Posts
3rd row
Reliability
Styling
Resale value can't be beat

The Honda Pilot is too boxy and didn't have captains chairs so that was out. The Explorer loses too much resale value, and it's a Ford. Wasn't interested in a Hyundai.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts