Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Couldn't find the Acura MDX that was in my price range fast enough and this 05 HL popped up.The Acura's come pretty much loaded(even the low end ones).I was a couple of hours from home hunting for MDX's and looking for something I could bring home that day.The guy selling the HL had everything I needed in his hand so after a quick trip to the license bureau we drove it home.It's back up for sale even though the wife likes it.I'm still hunting for the MDX.
Nothing really wrong with it so if we don't find a buyer we'll keep running it.

Myself I like my Hemi Ram better than the HL or the MDX.Alhough I doubt it will last as long as either of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just drove back from Vegas the other day with a passenger on board and all our luggage and camera equipment, etc., and I drove 70 to 75 MPH the whole way with the A/C blasting, all terrain tires, and only used 1/3 of a tank to get home (244 miles). Under those conditions, just try to get that kind of mileage out of any other SUV in its size class...just try. That's one of the main reasons I bought the Highlander: Great mileage!
"I just drove back from Vegas".... Would mean a lot more to me if you said specifically to where you drove?

·
Administrator
2008 Highlander Base
35,224 Posts
"I just drove back from Vegas".... Would mean a lot more to me if you said specifically to where you drove?

To narrow down further, Orange County. That should be sufficient to gauge the geographic features, etc., of the path driven.

BTW, I also drove once from Carson City, Nevada, to OC with four adults, all our luggage stored internally in the rear cargo area, drove 70 MPH the whole way with A/C running about 1/3 the entire trip, and covered the 470 miles on one tank of gas with the reserve light coming on about twenty miles from home. :)

·
Registered
Tacoma & Highlander
19 Posts
In 2008, I wanted a 4Runner; while at the dealership looking at that, the wife and kids were checking out the Highlander. After a testdrive, we were on our way home with the new HL.
Fast forward 10 years ... my wife and kids were recently in a serious accident and totalled the car. I was a frontal collision and, aside from bumps and bruises, no one was seriously injured.
In settling with the insurance company, we test drove a used Pathfinder and a Honda Pilot; although, both were nice, we purchased another Highlander ... a 2018, LE. It handles very much like the 08, but updated and wonderful. After the hit the 08 took, everything functioning as it was designed to, another Toyota was the way to go.

Below are some pictures of the old and new.
P.S. Later in 2008, I got a Tacoma for myself.

https://postimg.cc/image/kfyr7m7hr/
https://postimg.cc/image/gjlfbozdr/
https://postimg.cc/image/ajxo84em7/

·
2019 Highlander XLE
2019 Highlander XLE
16 Posts
I bought mine because I wanted the reliability of a Toyota, and room. I went from a 2014 Kia Forte5 to the Highlander XLE. I am very happy with mine, I've been on several long trips (put 3,500 miles on it in the first month) and it drives great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ONLY BUY TOYOTAS! (except for my wife's 350Z). needed a 5 seat suv with good ground clearance. 4wd is a bonus. Love our recently purchased 07 sport.

·
TableRocked
183 Posts
I only purchase reliable vehicles.
Wanted the MPG of the hybrid
Adopted two more kids and needed the space
Sienna wasn’t a hybrid and the premium limited trim forces you to clog up the ceiling with a stupid television.... my kids use tablets
The Sienna lacks the features the Honda Odyssey elite trim level offers
The limited platinum trim HL has seat coolers and heaters, as well as heated steering wheel

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought an 07, sport, stripped and simple. It's fairly nice for having 207K miles on it and I pretty much promptly ordered a set of heavy duty brakes from Rockauto and took into Maaco (Maico?) the uh oh guys for a repaint. Same subdued color (silver) and it looks like new. New headlights should arrive today, the old ones look like someone tried to clear them with 180 grit sandpaper, and the new ones are cheap enough to not bother trying to rehab the old ones.

I had an 02 Prius, the "Tardis" bigger on the inside than it appears from the outside. Decided I needed more tow capacity and maybe a place for a nap. I compared the normal V6 models with the Hybrids, couldn't see much advantage in the extra complexity and the HV batteries hanging over the SUV.

It's a tasteful, very comfortable car. And it will quite adequately tow my 600 lb or so jetski & trailer. And the mileage is okay.

I would like a better stereo, no need for the cassette, but an aux input and blue tooth would be nice. But for now the old school will have to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got two kids and we are an active family. We needed more space, and I personally wanted a sporty looking truck with a powerful engine to pull my trailer. Wasn't really into buying a minivan.

Coming from a Honda CR-V. Had 4 Honda before the HL. This is my first Toyota and I'm not looking back for sure!!

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just curious what the reason are for getting a HL - kids, dogs, luggage, kayaks, towing, camping, drag racing, track speed trials, tornado chasing, other? :D

My primary reasons: snowboarding and motorcycle towing.
With my last vehicle I had to put the boards on the top and got kind of annoyed with it. With the HL I can fit 3 boards inside, 3 people, and a weekend worth of gear without a hiccup. Also it's tall enough to go through any snow.
Next on the list is to get a hitch and a small trailer for the bike - planning a couple of track days this summer. :)
something with room for the fam, something that my mechanic will hate cos he never gets my business anymore, something that may not cause anyone to drool but won’t offend anyone either, something efficient, safe, and won’t give me attitude. Not looking for the biggest, the fastest, the best rock crawler or the maybach of crossovers. Check check and check.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts